Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Unless the volunteer position is in someone's field of interest I just don't see the purpose of it. I would rather save all my mental energy for job search strategies
What would be the point in volunteering in something not in your field of interest for a considerable amount of time? People volunteer here and there for a handful of hours on the weekend, but to devote 15-20 hours or more a week to something that won't help in obtaining a job is not something most people do.

Is it better just to sit around at home, mope, stare at your belly button, and get depressed? Because I can tell you, every person I've known who was unemployed and refused to volunteer did exactly that. I'm volunteering part time and don't have time to get depressed and mope around at home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,440,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Any business leaders, HR types and hiring managers want to stick their neck out and tell us why they don't like to hire the unemployed?
For me, it depends on how long the person has been unemployed. If I'm looking at someone's resume and they have a solid past work history with no gaps in between, but a couple months being unemployed recently, I have no problem with that.

However, if the person has a sketchy work history with lots of gaps in between jobs, no long-term history at any single employer, this tells me the person is a quitter and lives frivolously, not wanting to really work.

Look, bottom line: I don't care if you're working at McDonald's now. If you have experience in my field, I am going to take you over someone who has sketchy work history. At least if you're working wherever you are, you are TRYING.

Someone who stays unemployed for a long period of time, without working at all? Even if you have experience in my field, no way would I hire you. It just makes you seem as if you're happy getting your weekly check instead of it driving you crazy to have to take a handout, and I don't want you in my company, because that tells me you are lazy.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:09 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,695,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
For me, it depends on how long the person has been unemployed. If I'm looking at someone's resume and they have a solid past work history with no gaps in between, but a couple months being unemployed recently, I have no problem with that.

However, if the person has a sketchy work history with lots of gaps in between jobs, no long-term history at any single employer, this tells me the person is a quitter and lives frivolously, not wanting to really work.

Look, bottom line: I don't care if you're working at McDonald's now. If you have experience in my field, I am going to take you over someone who has sketchy work history. At least if you're working wherever you are, you are TRYING.

Someone who stays unemployed for a long period of time, without working at all? Even if you have experience in my field, no way would I hire you. It just makes you seem as if you're happy getting your weekly check instead of it driving you crazy to have to take a handout, and I don't want you in my company, because that tells me you are lazy.
I actually understand your perspective. What would you think of a person in my shoes-- entry-level, and the only experience I have is through part-time volunteer work? I am a full-time student and won't be done until this summer. I've had very good job history up until I was laid off (was with the company only a year).

As someone who is transitioning to a different field, I come across a similar struggle as being viewed as "a quitter" from my previous field because I was in it so long, and I have an employment gap. What would you say to me to get me, or people in my situation to be more desirable as candidates?

Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,440,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
I actually understand your perspective. What would you think of a person in my shoes-- entry-level, and the only experience I have is through part-time volunteer work? I am a full-time student and won't be done until this summer. I've had very good job history up until I was laid off (was with the company only a year).

As someone who is transitioning to a different field, I come across a similar struggle as being viewed as "a quitter" from my previous field because I was in it so long, and I have an employment gap. What would you say to me to get me, or people in my situation to be more desirable as candidates?
Entry-level employees and students are a whole different ball of wax. It is understood that you are getting your education, so as long as your gaps in work history are consistent with your education, I wouldn't worry about it. Even if you have ~1 year in any field, at least you were working. For me, that's the pivot point.

If you are a student, I don't see where having that one job labels you a quitter. If anything, it makes me look at you twice because you were in the workforce, and you decided it wasn't for you, and went back to school. That shows initiative.

Volunteer jobs show that you don't want to hang around the house getting unemployment. A lot of employers look at volunteering as a good thing. Again: at least you were doing something.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:23 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,484,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Why would I want to hire you if no one else does? You are a leftover.
Because you're not willing to pay them a higher salary and provide better benefits then they already have? At least I've seen this online and heard from some of my contacts... companies provide no incentive for some of these folks to jump ship. If you want to lowball candidates like that, then go after the unemployed, as they're willing to work for less than those who are currently working. If you're concerned his skills aren't up to snuff, then INTERVIEW THEM, just like you would with those already employed (you wouldn't hire someone just b/c they already had a job would you?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Uni View Post
First thought that comes up to mind would be the up-to-date skill sets.
How long are we talking about? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?
I'd hire anyone that has been out of a job 6 mo. to a year if they impressed me during the interview but if they were out of a job for 3 years, it does get me wondering on what have they been doing? Is something wrong with them that the other companies are unwilling to hire? But I would definitely ask during the interview to get a better understanding.
Not much will change perceptions, but it's not really implausible for someone NOT working to have more time to learn what needs to be done, vs. someone currently working and just showing up for work, collecting a paycheck, and only doing work 20% of the time.
For example, I've heard from a former employee at a company that the software programmers don't do much. Sure, they pluck around on a computer, compile stuff from time to time, send off their deliverables, but some of them don't really keep their skills fresh. If they had to apply to a new job, they can't really say they can do any programming work other than the one they're already at, whereas the out of work guy did learn and demonstrate what was needed of the new position (I will grant you that it's also luck that he got an interview)

It's almost like the person who's been out of work for 5 months has forgotten all of his skills, and now needs to go back and earn another bachelors degree to relearn everything he's "forgotten". Rubbish.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,078,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Right, you have to go on interviews and make some phone calls. Does all combined activity take 40 hours total per week?
Jobs are posted throughout the day and I would want to be there once it is so I can apply.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:30 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
What would be the point in volunteering in something not in your field of interest for a considerable amount of time? People volunteer here and there for a handful of hours on the weekend, but to devote 15-20 hours or more a week to something that won't help in obtaining a job is not something most people do.

Is it better just to sit around at home, mope, stare at your belly button, and get depressed? Because I can tell you, every person I've known who was unemployed and refused to volunteer did exactly that. I'm volunteering part time and don't have time to get depressed and mope around at home!
well if you are on your own it's no time to be depressed because you have to find a way to generate some income so you can eat and pay the rent

Old 05-12-2014, 06:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,042,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
well if you are on your own it's no time to be depressed because you have to find a way to generate some income so you can eat and pay the rent
For the record, depression doesn't care how busy you are or what your station in life may be. It can strike anyone at any time, but people who've been screwed over in life - such as the unemployed - are particularly vulnerable to it. Volunteering or otherwise keeping busy can help a bit, but the depression is still there and may never really go away. Certain scars never heal.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
For the record, depression doesn't care how busy you are or what your station in life may be. It can strike anyone at any time, but people who've been screwed over in life - such as the unemployed - are particularly vulnerable to it. Volunteering or otherwise keeping busy can help a bit, but the depression is still there and may never really go away. Certain scars never heal.
It's too easy to be depressed when unemployed which is why I made sure I stayed positive

Old 05-12-2014, 06:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,261,274 times
Quote:
"Looking for a job is a full time job" is a BS line.
Not really. Putting out a good app takes at least an hour and usually around 2. You have to tailor your materials to the job, that means some work. Anyone engaging a dedicated search should put out 8-12 apps per week. The weekly process is easily 25 hours a week can push 30-40 depending on how much time you spend researching and creatively hunting for announcements.

I job searched while working part time and it took pretty much all my free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search