Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times

Advertisements

About 3-4x a week or sometimes in one day I get cold calls from various IT recruiters with heavy Indian accent that sounds like this..

"I'm calling from _____ company we are an IT Services Company and I found your profile on LinkedIn that matches the skillsets that we are looking for." My client is a fortune 500 company who is looking to hire someone with your skillsets.

Tell me what is your hourly rate and when can you be available? Are you willing to do a phone interview and then if you pass my client can meet you for face to face."

And usually they sound very cocky and tells you the rate the client is paying is very good and they won't go below the offered rate but will you back in 2 days to negotiate either W-2 or somewhere close to your asking rate.

At times I can't even make out what the person is talking about and I just tell them to send me the details and Job req in an email.

The worst part is I get 3-4 recruiters calling about the same exact job posted on Monster or other job bulletin. Say Citibank is hiring an IT Architect paying $100/hr, I would get 5-6 calls about the same position from different callers and they all sound almost exactly the same.

Maybe once a month I get a real American recruiter calling and want to talk about possible consulting/free-lancing projects and looking for top notch IT consultant in the area to join their IT services company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM

384 posts, read 349,277 times
Why is your phone number readily available? If you don't want calls, keep your number private.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
I've been meaning to post about this for some time. Half the time I don't understand what they are saying. The other half of the time they are just reading from the script. If you ask a question they just start at the beginning, and if you keep asking the same question, they just keep restarting.

What's funny is I too just typically ask them to email me the info when I can't understand them. I've even considered putting "Note to Agency Recruiters: No Microsoft jobs, No contract jobs and Please speak ENGLISH if you call me" at the top of my resume, but I'm sure everyone will just think I'm the a hole because I am tired of what has happened to my country!

And what's with some of them asking for references before you've even interviewed!!! This is a forsaken industry. I plan on moving to HR eventually. Pays more in management and has way less stress and BS. The HR people at most companies I've worked at don't do jack!

Oh, and what is with the clowns who call you, even the English speaking American recruiters, and get offended when you decline their 2 month contract gig 5K miles away in favor of your full time job with a 40 hour week and being home every night. They act like you OWE them something. I've got news for you, I didn't decide to become a recruiter for jobs no one wants, so don't get short with me!

Old 07-14-2014, 09:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I can't imagine what you I.T. guys go through. Just based on my frustration in calling home p.c. tech support lines, I've been tempted to say, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you. And you're name's not Steve!!!"

Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I can't imagine what you I.T. guys go through. Just based on my frustration in calling home p.c. tech support lines, I've been tempted to say, "I'm sorry, I can't understand you. And you're name's not Steve!!!"
Basically you're surrounded by it all day at work...in poorly-written e-mails, phone conversations, etc. Also, Indians LOVE to talk on the phone. Anyone who's worked in a room full of H1Bs would agree. They take calls in English out in the hall or in the bathroom, and calls in their languages at their desk. They seem to think if you can't understand them, it means you can't hear them either.

#amirite

Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Basically you're surrounded by it all day at work...in poorly-written e-mails, phone conversations, etc. Also, Indians LOVE to talk on the phone. Anyone who's worked in a room full of H1Bs would agree. They take calls in English out in the hall or in the bathroom, and calls in their languages at their desk. They seem to think if you can't understand them, it means you can't hear them either.

#amirite
Geeze, no wonder you want out.

I can't believe this shift in the industry actually saves a company money in the long term. If you folks have had to clean up the messes around you, and you're leaving the industry either through choice or being forced out, I can see this getting so bad it will eventually swing the other way where none of them get jobs here in I.T.

Before I switched to mac at home I had to call these support departments all the time. I know little about this stuff, but can do the simple things. I did my own networking before wireless existed, I swapped out sound and video cards and increased RAM. Just enough to do things at home that need to get done. And even I was questioning how much these jokers knew because I could tell some of what they were telling me was wrong.

I remember one guy in particular, someone who honestly identified himself as Steve, who got frustrated and finally yelled that I never should have gotten XP because Windows 95 was a much better operating system. That's when I hung up and vowed to switch to mac. And I've never looked back.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
They take calls in English out in the hall or in the bathroom, and calls in their languages at their desk.
I've encounter toilet talkers of all races everywhere I've worked. I don't understand it.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
One way to get around that is to purchase computers that have US-based tech support. For example, ThinkPads are supported by IBM by their US-based tech support centers. I always get someone who can speak English.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
One way to get around that is to purchase computers that have US-based tech support. For example, ThinkPads are supported by IBM by their US-based tech support centers. I always get someone who can speak English.
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for future reference, but honestly, I've had my current macbook pro for six plus years and the only thing that's gone wrong is a crack in the bezel. I never scan it, I've gotten no viruses. And I've never had to call tech support, so I couldn't tell you where they are located.

I was always a bigger fan of Bill Gates than Steve Jobs as human beings, but as far as products, I'm an Apple convert.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind for future reference, but honestly, I've had my current macbook pro for six plus years and the only thing that's gone wrong is a crack in the bezel. I never scan it, I've gotten no viruses. And I've never had to call tech support, so I couldn't tell you where they are located.

I was always a bigger fan of Bill Gates than Steve Jobs as human beings, but as far as products, I'm an Apple convert.
I use both ThinkPads and Macs. They both have their pluses and minuses. Mac is better for my line of work and its nice that you can just take it in to the Apple store if you have any problems. Thinkpads are lighter (carbon fiber vs aluminum) and have much better keyboards, and are just better built (military spec construction). I don't see myself having to deal with Indian tech support for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search