Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Sure they do. They deliver developers that are low cost. You are probably just the "high priced" example they use to compare with others.
Whatever. They tell me what the client's rate is and I agree to it. They just suck at placing people in actual jobs. Maybe they're getting paid per CONTACT instead of per PLACEMENT. Maybe they're just trying to cover their butts to get around discrimination claims by saying "Well, we TALKED to some Americans and they weren't up to snuff...here's some resumes from south Asians."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Rich, thanks, I didn't think this could possibly be saving companies in the long run. In fact, it will cost them.

At the time I was going through this with the desktops, I couldn't get a live human until I entered my Serial Number, so I'm not sure that would work.

GolfProfessional pointed out the common sense approach to buy products that have support based in the U.S,, so that's one option I would consider in the future.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with my macbook pro - a beast that has never needed any service or call to tech support even after six years of abuse!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think what some recruiting firms doing is using these Indians to cold call and act as a filter.
Another thing to consider is there are call centers that have people and phones. They try to keep those people busy on the phone all day. They don't care if they are doing recruiting or chewing gum surveys! The goal is to be sure the people are *working* all day on the phone.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
To get your resume in the right hands, find out where you might want to work in your area and make a list of corporations or other entities. For each, do a little Google research on who might be in an IT managerial position with some hiring power. Get the corporate address from the internet and send them the proper cover letter along with your resume. If it's not the right person, chances are that the recipient will get your resume into the right hands.
Nice! I think you're only the third person here who has had the courtesy to actually care about the business they are applying to.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Maybe they're just trying to cover their butts to get around discrimination claims by saying "Well, we TALKED to some Americans and they weren't up to snuff...here's some resumes from south Asians."
They probably just say: "The Americans cost way more than these others. We're not making this up. Look... The Americans want $50/hr but these others will do it for $12/hr."

Old 07-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Rich, thanks, I didn't think this could possibly be saving companies in the long run. In fact, it will cost them.

At the time I was going through this with the desktops, I couldn't get a live human until I entered my Serial Number, so I'm not sure that would work.
You're welcome.

I use to research companies directly before investing. I would check HR, customer support, sales, and investor relations.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
About 3-4x a week or sometimes in one day I get cold calls from various IT recruiters with heavy Indian accent that sounds like this..

"I'm calling from _____ company we are an IT Services Company and I found your profile on LinkedIn that matches the skillsets that we are looking for." My client is a fortune 500 company who is looking to hire someone with your skillsets.

Tell me what is your hourly rate and when can you be available? Are you willing to do a phone interview and then if you pass my client can meet you for face to face."

And usually they sound very cocky and tells you the rate the client is paying is very good and they won't go below the offered rate but will you back in 2 days to negotiate either W-2 or somewhere close to your asking rate.

At times I can't even make out what the person is talking about and I just tell them to send me the details and Job req in an email.

The worst part is I get 3-4 recruiters calling about the same exact job posted on Monster or other job bulletin. Say Citibank is hiring an IT Architect paying $100/hr, I would get 5-6 calls about the same position from different callers and they all sound almost exactly the same.

Maybe once a month I get a real American recruiter calling and want to talk about possible consulting/free-lancing projects and looking for top notch IT consultant in the area to join their IT services company.
These a$$clowns have ZERO interest in placing Americans. They go through the motions to demonstrate there are no US citizens willing to take a W2 $20/hr contract for three months OR to take your resume only never to submit to take you out of the running for the spot, submitting only their own indentured servant H1-Bs. For awhile, I had an air horn by my phone (home office) I would unleash whenever Steve/Sanjay or Robert/Ravi eluded my caller ID.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
These a$$clowns have ZERO interest in placing Americans.
Just curious... Can anyone here think of a reason Sanjay/Ravi *would* have interest in placing Americans?

Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 PM

384 posts, read 349,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Just got this in an e-mail:

"Good Morning. Following is the requirement we have in Austin ,TX, but Vertica is not a Must to have, either Oracle or SQL database developer the client is looking for.Can you provide me the following information along with your updated resume , salary/yr or rate /hr so that i can submit if you are interested.

This is for HP, just i am informing to avoid duplicate submission."

P.S. I don't live in Austin. I live 200 miles away. Someone needs to get this guy a map.
This doesn't surprise. Consulting companies are trying to fill these jobs that deal with old technologies at a low cost. They reach far because in this industry, most developers don't want to take new positions working for old technologies.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:30 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Good info on this thread.

I deleted the material from my LinkedIn acc't. It only brought me junk offers, although I never had to talk to any non-English recruiters. I'm still laughing about that one exchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search