Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 11:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
That's a roommate situation. That's how bad it's gotten down there. It's almost impossible to find places to rent, without going through those brokers that want you to pay a fee. I don't know why but it's tough to find landlords renting directly. I really do want to further my education, at least up to an associates degree if I could. I'm just having trouble figuring out what to do. I know that they make you take some type of accuplacer tests, to see if you need remedial classes. I'd like doing it that way because I can get up to speed.
What is wrong with having a roommate? I liked living with roommates. Saved money and built in socializing. I may do it again my next move.

You think you're entitled to living alone despite not being able to earn a good living? Living alone is a luxury most people can't afford. Heck, you're young, I know zero young people that live alone. Not here. Not in the Boston area, Chicago, San Francisco, or even Madison WI which is pretty damn cheap.

You don't deserve to be living alone. You haven't earned that privilege.

Oh, I've never, ever once used a broker to find an apartment in any city I've lived in and never paid a fee. But hey, lets come up with more excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You don't deserve to be living alone. You haven't earned it.
Now that was unnecessary.

Who are you to say what one does and doesn't deserve, or what one has and has not earned?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:45 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,462 times
Quote:
What is wrong with having a roommate? I liked living with roommates. Saved money and built in socializing. I may do it again my next move.

You think you're entitled to living alone despite not being able to earn a good living? Living alone is a luxury most people can't afford. Heck, you're young, I know zero young people that live alone. Not here. Not in the Boston area, Chicago, San Francisco, or even Madison WI which is pretty damn cheap.

You don't deserve to be living alone. You haven't earned that privilege.

Oh, I've never, ever once used a broker to find an apartment in any city I've lived in and never paid a fee. But hey, lets come up with more excuses.
If I had to share a place I would. Based on my own research with craigslist, zillow, and trulia, the bulk of the apartment listings are through brokers and real estate agencies. Sometimes you can find a few "by owner" listings sprinkled through but there is lots of competition.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Who are you to say what one does and doesn't deserve, or what one has and has not earned?

You can't afford to pay the rent. You haven't earned it and you don't deserve it. The end.

A single person having an apartment of their own is not a right. It is a privilege that needs to be earned.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
You can't afford to pay the rent. You haven't earned it and you don't deserve it. The end.

A single person having an apartment of their own is not a right. It is a privilege that needs to be earned.
I understand your point.

It was just a nasty way in which you made it.

Like I said, who are you to tell someone what they do and don't deserve? You're not the OP's ruler...

Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I understand your point.

It was just a nasty way in which you made it.

Like I said, who are you to tell someone what they do and don't deserve? You're not the OP's ruler...

If you had followed the posters incessant whiny posts complaining of the same crud, over and over, and excuse making, over and over, you would get the need for nasty. The last thing he needs is people commiserating. That holds people back.

Who am I? I'm me. That's good enough. Sorry, I'm not going to coddle people that complain the same complaints month after month after month and never do anything to change their situations. Those people don't need sympathy, they need a kick in the arse.

You can go ahead and be all sympathetic and pitying if that is your style. Which it seems to be.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Very soon I will be in a new location, based on some suggestions from city-data users. You say I'm not taking any advice from people here, when I took a big piece of some months ago. I won't say where it is right now, but you can try to guess. There are alot more opportunities there. I'm eager to see what awaits me.
My guess is North Dakota, and my prediction is that you will fail because you have not developed the skills necessary to get a job.

I hope that I am wrong, but from your posting history I fear that I am right.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not going to coddle people that complain the same complaints month after month after month and never do anything to change their situations. Those people don't need sympathy, they need a kick in the arse.
It's not about coddling.

You just come across as if you have a stick up your arse is all...

Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
I would hope that my employer judges everyone that applies for a job, That is the purpose of the search for a new employee, to judge those that you deem worthy to work for your organization. If a potential candidate is having a hard time making the cut then they need to make a change in how they present themselves. Focus the resume with the job. Work on the cover letter. It is normally the cover letter that would be the document that most would read. This is the document that the less seasoned job searcher can use to inform the employer as to who they are and what they can do.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Quote:

Does the OP have the money to pay for his own place? Does the OP have a job that will support a place of their own? If not then they have not earned the right to live on their own. I don't see how hard that is to figure out. You can live on your own when you can afford to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search