Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 03:44 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
That doesn't explain a manager lying to my face about letting me know if I'm getting the job or not.
You will know if you are getting the job, if they call you and tell you are hired, or write you a letter telling you that you have the job.

You are expecting to be told if you are getting a job right up front. It does not work that way when there are lots of applicants. One of a group will get the job, and the others do not. If you don't get the job, you will not be alone, as others will also not get the job. If you live in a heavy unemployment area, you will have problems finding a job. On the other hand live in a tight labor market such as North East North Dakota, put in an application and go to work immediately at far above minimum wages.

Calling and asking if they are going to hire you as some suggest, does not help you get the job. It just irritates the HM and your name is moved to the no hire file.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Now I know where this is going. Every one else is to blame for your being out of work including the legal immigrants that you claim are making less than minimum wage. Buddy if you are looking for a reason that you are out of work you don't need to come here looking, your doing just fine on your own.

The funny thing is that we can all read about people that find all kinds of ways to make money. If their are no jobs then start a business. Find out what small thing that you can do. In many areas plenty of business operations do not want to hire someone for 20 hours a week but find it hard to find someone that can do maybe 1 or 2 eight hour shifts in a week. I know a woman that works 3 part time jobs working for companies that only want someone for a day or 2 a week.

Have you looked at temp services or places like Labor Ready? They may be able to give you work and you can still have plenty of time to search for more reasons why you can't find a J O B.

If I did not have anything I would be writing all day and into the night. Lots of places hiring writers.
I'm going to be moving to another area soon with more opportunities, based on advice from other city-data users and a job developer I was working with when I tried to get into a machinist training program (she told me there was a greater concentration of CNC jobs in that area). Actually, they were having a free training program in Woburn that I was going to go to but it was too far for me at the time. Some of the nearby cities of this city have alot more positions to apply for. There is a labor ready downtown and another agency that I have strong hopes for. I talked with them before. I'm not going to say where it is though.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
The problem is, so many people do it that if you are honest you can have trouble standing out.
Has less to do with honesty and more to do with talent.

If one cannot get a job without lying on their resume, they aren't good enough to do the job in the first place. Maybe they should spend more time on developing and improving their skills instead of on trying to be "creative" in their resume writing.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Yes. If they ask your age or birthdate on the application or during the interview. This violates age discrimination laws. Interviewers will judge you. I size them up as well. I had one that was nervously tapping his fingers on the table while asking me about my years of experience. He clearly was scared of me possible rising up the ladder and usurping his position. While I waited to be interviewed I noticed that every person in the office except the interviewer was a woman. I knew I wasn't getting this position. I was interviewed merely for legal reasons. He even told me to call him and then had the receptionist lie for him.
You have to put your graduation year and times that you worked so what difference does it make? They'll know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Has less to do with honesty and more to do with talent.

If one cannot get a job without lying on their resume, they aren't good enough to do the job in the first place. Maybe they should spend more time on developing and improving their skills instead of on trying to be "creative" in their resume writing.
I have the capability. They just don't see it. That's why it angers me that the only option I have is to volunteer. I already know enough about the jobs I apply for and what I don't know I am more than willing to learn on the job, otherwise I wouldn't apply for them. What does volunteering change anything? I mean I can't even get that internship that I applied for and all the others say such and such experience. It's ridiculous. All you should need for an internship is a degree and passion.
So it seems like you have to lie if you can't wait to get a job but I'm not a good liar so it's not like I will.

Yeah yeah I know it's for networking...If I have to network to get ahead then I'm screwed because I'm reserved IRL. I guess that's why I'm not good enough to get a job so I never will be. Why do I bother even trying?

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-19-2014 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-20-2014, 08:09 AM

435 posts, read 635,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What can someone like me do about this when all the applications are online-based? For example, a fast food establishment. I would never do this, but if they really assume that, I'd like to try and intervene first. Is calling the manager after applying the only way to tell them I'm not hiding anything, and really just don't have much work history? I can't tell them "in the interview" because it's rare they even give me an interview. I don't understand why someone would ever assume something like this about an applicant in the first place, when W2 legitimate employment can be easily checked via SS#. Right?

Just seems like another flaw of the online application system. If someone doesn't have much work history it automatically means they are hiding 500 jobs they worked at or because they are an ex-con or something. This is massive, massive discrimination on a nationwide level. But is there anything employers do within the hiring process these days that isn't against the law?
If an employer assumes the worst, it is because he is hiding something and/or is lying about his own work history.

I once had a phone interview with Geico, and the interviewer thought I was lying about quitting my job at one of the places on my resume. He kept implying that I had really been fired. In fact, he kept questioning me about it to the point where it was obvious he assumed I was lying, and I couldn't go forward in the interview any longer with him. I let him go.

I think this guy was probably fired at every place he ever worked at.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
parried, everyone has been rejected when applying to jobs, EVERYONE. Even the people here who have jobs have been rejected before. If you're not willing to put effort into yourself to get the ball rolling, then employers have NO REASON to hire you.

I was laid back just like you. I applied for jobs online and expected calls on my status. It was only a matter of time before I realized that didn't work and that forced me to turn my life around. While I'm on contract with Xerox, I'm looking into internships and getting my certifications as an Assistant Teacher.

This isn't the time to blame employers and spend time on a forum complaining about how they screwed you over. You have to put your best foot forward and start making things happen.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,862 times
If I knew that it was really about getting the best possible candidate, that would give me hope in itself, but I like the OP, see so much arbitrary hiring practices and bull**** (affirmative action, hiring the sexy, young chick with cleavage showing, for the next receptionist, nepotism, etc.,) that it is enough to make you want to throw yourself out the window. I wonder if anyone has cracked the code yet on the software algorithms used to filter out negative keywords during the application process. I really think the people who do get jobs these days just happen to be smart enough to manipulate the system well. No wonder I have gotten so jaded when I see how many people with "street smarts" get ahead in life better than us who posess "book smarts".
Meh, it's been a long evening, and I am always on fire about this particular topic.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
What do you think I've been doing for the last few years? Are you living under a rock?

Fast Food
Retail
Grocery
Gas Stations
I've done them all.

There's no reason one of these places couldn't have hired me. There's no reason for the bulk of them not even giving me an interview, let alone an offer.
The question in the employers minds, is you have had so many jobs of this nature, why are you still not working one of those places. You are moving around too much, and all those different fields. They are reluctant to hire job hoppers.

The q

Old 08-24-2014, 07:40 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,115 times
I'm not a job hopper by any means. I've only had 2 jobs in my life and both were seasonal positions. Cities like Fall River, New Bedford, Springfield, Worcester, Lynn, Haverhill, Lawrence, and even Lowell (without UMASS) are on the same level as the rust belt. The problem with Massachusetts is that for the last few decades everybody wants everything to revolve around Boston and nowhere else in the state is allowed to have any activity. It's only now that the governor wants to start paying attention to the gateway cities. It took them this long to notice how high the unemployment rates were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Then you are doing something completely wrong... or you aren't telling us something.

Between fast food and grocery stores, there's no way possible you are not getting any offers whatsoever. If you interview with 20 stores, the likelihood that all 20 stores have bad managers and employees that don't want to hire you is slim to none. I'd look a LOT harder in the mirror.
I blame that more on the supply of applicants or someone getting the job by knowing someone. They just interview people for legal purposes or incase the 'connection' doesn't work out.

Last edited by parried; 08-24-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Welcome to the world of competition. The best looking applicants get interviewed. If you don't cut it, you don't cut it.

This is perfectly reasonable and legal discrimination. Companies don't want to interview 500 people for their minimum wage job. Its not going to happen. Nor is it reasonable to suggest it should.
A privileged elitist couldn't have said it better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search