Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:53 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not really a common combination. Smart guy from the 'hood probably won't have a strong academic background. Most other felons aren't bright or have self-control issues. Except... white collar criminals. This guy wants someone good at cooking the books.
If the person (felon) was good at cooking the books, he/she would not be a felon.

The whole felon bit is ridiculous anyway, and is no way based in any fact, let alone practice;

- The rarity of finding a felon released from prison, with strong academics, experience, and high IQ, would be rare, as people with those traits do not need to commit crimes. To add, the person sitting in prison would have had to keep themselves refreshed on their skills somehow.

- A standing business will have established rules against hiring people with criminals records, so the only path a person could take is to establish a new joint venture with this felon.

- There are FDIC, SEC, etc rules regarding felons and "bad actors" and their involvement in financial transactions.

- The is basically zero chance of getting any investor to go along with putting their money with someone who was convicted of cooking the books, or some other form of financial fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,825,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Would you estimate that you are as intelligent and talented as any given 'Wall Streeter'?

Like, if you wanted, you could drop whatever it is that you're doing now, head to lower Manhattan and really show them a thing or two?

All that money they make, you too could make it but for whatever reason, have decided not to?
Wall st has talent? When'd that happen

Read the books Flash Boys
Flash Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's also Automate This.

The vast majority of stock trading is automatic. It does not involve people for the most part. Imagine an infinite excel spreadsheet with formulas ever which way. and one number going up or down in cell A1 changes everything else on it. That's pretty much the market.

If you want to make money in the market look at the options market as it determines who in probably on the inside doing some buying and selling. Then look at after markets trade and you might see some patterns. Then look at who owns what and if they are well funded.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:54 PM

741 posts, read 916,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Neither my intelligence nor talent is the focus of the discussion. Open up your own thread if you want to debate the intelligence and talent of Wall Streeters vs. the rest of the population.

(Apologist or troll?)

I'm not interested in showing them "a thing or two", nor dropping what I'm doing presently to prove a point to anybody. That's a waste of time. People have a right to live as they choose. There are consequences for everything, sooner or later. Consequences come when least expected.
You didn't answer my question.

You (and others) levy these shrill charges against "WALL STREETERS" and "BIG BANKERS!". What I'm wondering is if you think that you, personally, are as intelligent and talented as a typical 'Wall Streeter' and if you so chose, you could head out there and do what they do.

Do you think this is the case?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Wall st has talent? When'd that happen

Read the books Flash Boys
Flash Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's also Automate This.

The vast majority of stock trading is automatic. It does not involve people for the most part. Imagine an infinite excel spreadsheet with formulas ever which way. and one number going up or down in cell A1 changes everything else on it. That's pretty much the market.

If you want to make money in the market look at the options market as it determines who in probably on the inside doing some buying and selling. Then look at after markets trade and you might see some patterns. Then look at who owns what and if they are well funded.
Don't try to engage in a deep-detail discussion with shallow knowledge as a pretend internet expert. You can only Wiki-Fake your way through the conversation for so long and you never know when you're talking to someone who has deep-knowledge that sees right through you.

As tempted as I am to break down and explain something like "The vast majority of stock trading is automatic. It does not involve people for the most part", I don't think I could do so without being waaaaaaaaay condescending, so I'll just suggest you swim in your own end of the pool.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If the person (felon) was good at cooking the books, he/she would not be a felon.

The whole felon bit is ridiculous anyway, and is no way based in any fact, let alone practice;

- The rarity of finding a felon released from prison, with strong academics, experience, and high IQ, would be rare, as people with those traits do not need to commit crimes. To add, the person sitting in prison would have had to keep themselves refreshed on their skills somehow.

- A standing business will have established rules against hiring people with criminals records, so the only path a person could take is to establish a new joint venture with this felon.

- There are FDIC, SEC, etc rules regarding felons and "bad actors" and their involvement in financial transactions.

- The is basically zero chance of getting any investor to go along with putting their money with someone who was convicted of cooking the books, or some other form of financial fraud.
- He is not looking for 'academics'. You have no idea what you're talking about.

- A "standing business" sets its own rules and again, recurring theme, you have no idea what you're talking about; not all of them have blanket prohibitions on hiring someone with a record.

- There are a few, but they don't apply to all (or even most) functions.

- Incorrect. Strike 4.

Cute narrative, the cool thing about the internet is anyone can narrate any set of facts with their own characterization, but you were pretty much wrong from start to finish; like, literally, everything you typed was incorrect. That's the cool part about forums, though. Garbageman by day, but no problem playing a hedge fun staffing expert if the fancy strikes.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
- He is not looking for 'academics'. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Who is not looking? I was responding to a poster who mentioned "academics"; or are you disouting the poster did not mention this term?

Quote:
- A "standing business" sets its own rules and again, recurring theme, you have no idea what you're talking about; not all of them have blanket prohibitions on hiring someone with a record.
Actually, numerous institutions do have policies on hiring people with criminal convictions, so many do in fact the EEOC and Justice Department has made an issue out if it

These are blanket policies as to not create a disparate impact/treatment in its hiring process. While officially many review each individual case, in practice they do not. Problem is, even the blanket policy creates a disparate impact against blacks, hence why the fed gov is now getting involved.

Quote:
They would most likely apply to the hypothetical felon we are talking about, since he is being recruited for his/her financial ability, not his/her ability to clean the toilet.

Quote:
- Incorrect. Strike 4.
Not zero correct at all, it would be difficult to find investors willing to put their money with someone who has already done time for financial fraud. This is why scammers change their names, or work through another person when they get out of prison.

Quote:
Cute narrative, the cool thing about the internet is anyone can narrate any set of facts with their own characterization, but you were pretty much wrong from start to finish; like, literally, everything you typed was incorrect. That's the cool part about forums, though. Garbageman by day, but no problem playing a hedge fun staffing expert if the fancy strikes.
Actually, I am correct, and everything you wrote is incorrect. First, you reply about something I was not even talking about, then you engage in some rambling about how I am wrong, all the while not asserting any facts to back up your claim. While I could have supported my claims more, it is common knowledge that the hiring of people with a criminal conviction is an issue in the US, but somehow you missed over this memo and the numerous EEOC/DOJ meetings over this, which leads me to believe you are not involved at any level nor ever have been in the hiring process. Your obvious lack of knowledge over financial institutions also lead me to believe you have not a clue regarding the hiring processes in financial institutions.

But you are correct on one thing; anyone can come on the Internet and narrate any set of facts with their own characterization, just as you did, and you got all of them wrong.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:09 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,735,537 times
Quote:
That's fine, but you have to realize that perspectives can vary radically from place to place.

One guy I know, who is involved with a very successful hedge fund, said his ideal analyst candidate is felon with an IQ over 130, an strong academic background and at least *some* time in prison. This comes after decades of hiring Ivy League MBAs.

He realizes the sorts of insights he wants and needs very rarely originate with kids who've never left the cul de sac. Here's a guy talking about six figure positions (seven with bonuses if they really start hitting homeruns) wanting to hire a guy that a grocery tore might instantly disqualify to be a bag boy with no other considerations.

Once you get a pool of candidates who, on paper, appear otherwise qualified to do the job, the art of hiring them becomes about finding the right fit. That guy in the article values stability and loyalty. We all do, but he's probably in a position to offer jobs that lure people away from long time positions and can demand that. Not everyone is in that situation. The tech industry is a perfect example where everyone is constantly shuffling around.
Hopefully that felon with the 130 plus IQ won't do something sinister to his employer.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
- He is not looking for 'academics'. You've no idea what you're talking about.

- Incorrect. Strike 4.

I always thought strikes reset at three...

Anyway, the felon with a 130 iq would imply a white collar criminal. Why, because education DOES affect intelligence. Intelligence has a 40%-60% causal relationship on continuing education AND education expands IQ. Fyi, garden variety criminals are not the best at school on a whole. The classic case is if you take an IQ test when school ends and it starts up again. The scores at the end of school will typically be higher than those from the beginning of the school year a few months later. Why, because of lessened activity. The average criminal, wouldn't have a 130 IQ, only white collar criminal would typically share the traits of being a criminal with an IQ two standard deviations from the mean of a 100 IQ.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:

- Incorrect. Strike 4.

Never mind, I saw your posting history, you have some sort of personal stake with the employment of convicted felons, no wonder your response is so over the top and outlandish, too many emotions getting in the way of your ability to sort facts from fantasy. Maybe you are a felon? A family member?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Never mind, I saw your posting history, you have some sort of personal stake with the employment of convicted felons, no wonder your response is so over the top and outlandish, too many emotions getting in the way of your ability to sort facts from fantasy. Maybe you are a felon? A family member?
Hired a couple, have a firm conviction that our society craps on them unfairly, have watched quite a few petty men of the most worthless character and low-rent talent fancy themselves 'better' than someone because of some trivial criminal record, but the fact remains, every single thing you typed is incorrect.

Real world, objectively wrong. Bad facts. You pretended you knew what you were talking about, but you demonstrated that you do not. Its OK to be wrong, nobody is right all the time, but its really stupid and obnoxious when you're wrong in the context of feigning knowledge. Its so funny, what people who know nothing about the finance world think the finance world is. They think it's 'academics'. All I can do is LOL and pat them on the head.

In an era where playing online poker, drug possession and all sorts of insignificant nonsense is a 'felony', anyone who uses that as an arbiter of anything is raising a big sign over their head that they suck at deriving knowledge from relevant factors so bumbling around talking about 'a felon' is really the sort of thing that only resonates with other retards.

That gigantic dicktrain post you made earlier where every sentence got its own individual reply, aside from demonstrating you suck at the internet, I just don't bother wasting time on those but it's pretty annoying when someone is wrong, someone points out they're wrong but they dig in and start flailing about with bull****, whinging rhetoric, stop-on-a-dime logic reversals and overall eGarbage. Go learn what roles are regulated, go learn what a private business can and can't do. The rest of your assertions are just wrong or imply you have poor reading comprehension, so I won't bother delving into those.

Last edited by Zaba; 09-23-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search