Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 05:32 AM

469 posts, read 913,586 times

Advertisements

I work in a contracted maintenance and operations environment. Current job is "Ok" but has a number of downsides with little chance for promotion or advancement. Company is small with moderate benefits but lousy hours and miserable work environment.

Well, Another program in the local area is in contract negotiations and my current company as well as 6 others are competing for the contract. If we win, there is a slight chance I would be promoted a step up in responsibility, but only a slight bump in pay. The more lucrative position that I'm interested in would probably be filled by one of my co-workers. Qualifications are equel, but He has been with company longer. Regardless of the position, benefits are much better with a dramatically improved work environment.m

If I apply to the competition, what would be the downside and possible outcomes. I've thought this through and know my boss may find out etc, but I'm not really worried about that, I'm only hedging my bet and my resume and chances are spread over several companies not just one.

Guess question is, what could happen, is it ethical or does it happen all the time so nobody cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Are you looking to 'jump ship' prior to the contract award? or are you asking if going to the competition is a good idea if they win the award?

Speaking from an IT contracting POV (not sure if that is where you're at, but some of it may still apply), it's all about relationships. When I was in that space, you can be competing with company B on one contract, and be teaming with them to win another at the same time. In essence, it's a very small world.

There's nothing wrong with switching teams. It happens all the time. You just need to time it correctly. If you're in a re-compete, people may be a bit more sensitive to you jumping to a competitor. Again, that's your decision to make.

Some potential downsides:
  • You upset someone who ends up being your program manager down the road.
  • You look around, that gets back to your company. They use the contract/re-compete as an excuse to let you go and you don't find another job right away.
  • You look around, that gets back to your company. They don't let you go, but try to "manage" you out. You can't find a place to go, so you stay. Now you're even more miserable.

Of course, the up side is that the competitors may actually come looking for you. This is especially if you are a key personnel on the task.

Last edited by macroy; 02-02-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,100,905 times
I'd put a different name on the resume. Clarify it at the interview.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 AM

469 posts, read 913,586 times
Macroy, good info. It's not a re compete for the same program, but a new contract for everyone involved.

Believe timing may be the best strategy, I'll wait till contract is awarded in July to make my move. While I don't know anyone in the other company, it's a small world and I fate could step in and screw me on both opportunities. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search