Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 PM

154 posts, read 261,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Not at all. It's shared information similar to any work reference. I don't contact other seafood companies and tell them "we're letting Jimbo go, don't hire him!" But if Jimbo applies at OtherSeafoods Inc and they contact me I will share honest information.

This is completely legal and something every job hunter should be aware of, job references are not bound by what an applicant lists on his application.
It should be. If i didn't list a person don't call them. If I didn't trust them or know the well enough to list them as a reference why assume they're reference worthy as a employer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 11:58 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerBlossom2015 View Post
It should be. If i didn't list a person don't call them. If I didn't trust them or know the well enough to list them as a reference why assume they're reference worthy as a employer
A lot of times the hiring company is going to call your previous employers. I will say that with the legal atmosphere the way it is surrounding employment now, most employers are only going to give out information about dates you worked there and your job title. There are a few that are dumb enough to comment on why you left (quit, fired, etc.) If you are worried about a potential bad reference, find someone at the company who will give you a good reference and use them as a reference for that company. It is kind of stupid that so many companies still have a taboo about hiring people who got terminated from their last job (happens more often than you think!) but there is that mindset with a lot of places so do damage control and try to find that alternate reference if you think the past company's HR department isn't trustworthy to give a neutral reference.

Unfortunately, even if you don't list the contact information for the company there is the convenient use of Google to look up the last employer.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:06 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Here we go again.

No, it's not illegal for a company to say why you were fired or if you were fired or let go. And there are many ways for companies to find out about an applicant.

As it relates to the OP, most assuredly people will ask around about an applicant, particularly in certain industries where it's a small world. Maybe not a black list, but if people think HR and interviewers don't go asking around about someone, especially if the applicant worked for a company that someone in HR or the interviewer worked for previously or knew someone from there, they must be living in some fantasy land.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
I often call people outside the official reference list. My assumption is that the official references are selectively picked by the candidate and will all give positive reviews, and this is usually true. People outside the list are usually better sources of info.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:29 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I often call people outside the official reference list. My assumption is that the official references are selectively picked by the candidate and will all give positive reviews, and this is usually true. People outside the list are usually better sources of info.
Ok, well if you worked long enough you should know you may have had people that just didn't like your personality and would talk badly of you, or there are just bad people out there. How are people outside of the list better sources? So you can get secret dirt on someone that may not be accurate at all? That's all you're looking for. Something to contradict the "good" references you know they sent you. Why else would you look outside of that list? For confirmation of some sort, probably bad. They gave you all the good confirmation you need. Oi.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:41 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Ok, well if you worked long enough you should know you may have had people that just didn't like your personality and would talk badly of you, or there are just bad people out there. How are people outside of the list better sources? So you can get secret dirt on someone that may not be accurate at all? That's all you're looking for. Something to contradict the "good" references you know they sent you. Why else would you look outside of that list? For confirmation of some sort, probably bad. They gave you all the good confirmation you need. Oi.
I am looking for a thorough, balanced set of opinions, not simply a set of carefully chosen cheerleaders. I occasionally pull a person who seems bitter or holds personal animosity, and I disregard that reference. I am usually looking for more information on a couple of areas that I did not feel were completely addressed in the interview(s).

I don't mind getting some negative feedback on applicants, and I don't automatically disqualify anybody if I hear negative references. Nobody is perfect, and if I gave you a list of the last 20 people I had any sort of business interaction with you would get a muxed set of opinions on me. I take all if this into account.

I also get some off-list references that are very positive about the candidate.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM

154 posts, read 261,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No they aren't. People outside the reference list may say anything. The things they say more than likely are inaccurate. Unless they worked with the candidate first hand. I don't understand your mentality on is point. Everything else I typically agree with you on

Old 02-28-2015, 11:09 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,624,328 times
Quote:
People do and it's not rural areas. I was applying for a job in a major city. I was moving back from out of state. The VP nochantly told me that had called around other major corps in the area asking about me. Mind you these would not have been companies that I had worked for just possibly interviewed for. People are dirty. I don't understand why someone wouldn't form their own opinion but instead seek out dirt on someone. It's one thing if dirt on a person comes up in casual conversation but people actively seek out dirt on other. The word of mouth and unofficial written blackball databases
If this event happened to you at all, the VP was yanking your chain. What possible reason would people do this? Do you think the HR departments are run by the Illuminati? Nobody is going to waste their time answering questions from OTHER COMPANIES about people that may or may not have applied there. How would oher companies that you never worked at have dirt on you? Is it that common knowledge?

I hate to say it, but if you really believe this happened, you should seek help.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Thank you all for your input and I DO appreciate it. Yes, I know that I am describing a "blacklist" and officially it is illegal. And I am NOT trying to paint H.R./managers as evil or calculating. But it just makes me suspicious from stories I have heard and makes me wonder if unofficially people in some more rural areas maintain some kind of connection to warn other companies about individuals seeking work in their area that possess qualities overall that they find negative.
What you are referring to is called a background check. Those do happen, but are not between potential employers. There would be literally nothing for them to gain by talking about someone that neither party has employed. ABC Industries is not in the business of vetting potential employees for XYZ Corporation.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
No they aren't. People outside the reference list may say anything. The things they say more than likely are inaccurate. Unless they worked with the candidate first hand. I don't understand your mentality on is point. Everything else I typically agree with you on
Are you saying that, as a job seeker, you choose your references to be fair and balanced about your employment? I'm sorry, that's ridiculous to even ponder. If a prospective employer were to limit themselves to the references given by the job seeker, they may as well not check any references at all. Have you considered not alienating the people where you work, so that they don't want to reveal your 'dirt'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search