Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 05:13 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Dude.
Listen to your gut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 07:02 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,997,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
#1 - Why is this a red flag? They may have multiple positions available in many shifts but the 11-7 is the one with the highest priority. You even said you were open to it as a last resort.

#2 - A rigorous interview is not necessarily a red flag. As you said, they probably had problems with previous hires and now are doing strict due diligence. A red flag would be if they were unprofessional or used foul language, etc.

#3 - Maybe a red flag if you don't like the hiring manager's demeanor or if they are someone you wouldn't like working for.

#4 - This is the salary negotiation stage. Before extending an official offer, they need to know what salary you will accept.

#5 - Why is this a red flag?
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Some of these responses, I mean, seriously?

There's absolutely nothing wrong or concerning about a manager that straight up challenges and dares an applicant and gives a thinly veiled threat about being right in the end?

Alrighty then.
People exaggerate, especially when they feel like they're wronged somehow. I very strongly doubt that the interview happened exactly this way.

Red flag #1 is a prime example. This person said they were open to this shift but is now taking issue with being asked to work it. On top of that, he's questioning someone asking him about pay, which is pretty standard.

There's a good dose of paranoia happening here. Bailing on this job might be doing the employer a favor.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Some of these responses, I mean, seriously?

There's absolutely nothing wrong or concerning about a manager that straight up challenges and dares an applicant and gives a thinly veiled threat about being right in the end?

Alrighty then.
Context is important. If the interviewer all of a sudden gets in the interviewee's face and yells

"OH, IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, YOU LET ME KNOW! WE CAN COME RIGHT IN THIS ROOM, AND WE CAN HAVE IT OUT! YOU CAN TELL ME WHAT YOUR PROBLEM IS... STRAIGHT TO MY FACE!..SO LONG AS I GET MY SAY IN THE END!"

(I'm sure that is literally what the interviewer said) then, yes, that would be a red flag.

With the context of "They even asked me if I would give them any "pushback" or cause any problems. I said, "Even if I didn't like something you had me do, I probably wouldn't say anything. I would just keep my mouth shut and do it". "

I would be incline to think that the interviewer responded "Oh, if you have a problem (with what we ask you to do) then you let me know (in private). We can come right in this room and we can have it out. You can tell me whatever problems you're having with any issues to my face, so long as you understand that , in the end, it's my decision and what I say, goes."

Tough, perhaps? Rigid, maybe? Threatening? No. Unprofessional? Not really.

Maybe OP can clarify.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:50 AM

118 posts, read 210,759 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I will try and clarify some things. As far as the shift assignment...I went onto the hospitals website, I applied for a different shift. When the "recruiter" or "talent acquisition" person spoke with me on the phone, he asked me a simple question, which is "Would it be possible for you to work the 11-7" OR something along those lines.

At NO point did he make it seem like that was the shift I was going to interview for. It was just a simple question and I kind of said "Maybe". I made it clear that was not the shift I really wanted.

Now...When I went in for the interview, they made it seem like they had no idea I had applied for a different shift. They were all confused like, "Huh? I thought you were the 11-7 person?" Umm, no I clearly applied for the other one. IT would have been different if they brought me in, and said "I know you applied for the other shift, but you said you were open to working the 11-7 so thats the one we'd like to hire you for.."

And thats where my issue comes in. Instead, what they did was pretend like they didn't know anything about any other shift & then started with the tough talk "Well, we are going to hire someone for the 11-7 first." (Again, something along those lines). Then why even post a different shift if you're hiring only for the 11-7 right now? Or, "first" What's really the difference?

When I told them I applied for a different shift they pretty much said, in more words than one, "if you're not going to do the 11-7 then you can GTFO" They said we were not going to continue with the interview if I couldn't work it.

So, basically, it was a bait and switch. I wasn't even given the option of a different shift, even though I didn't even apply for the 11-7 and was never told they might need me to work that shift. I was just told I could leave if I couldn't do the 11-7.

Maybe if the recruiter said something along the lines of "Well, the reason I ask is because we will need you to work that shift if you're open to it instead, are you OK with that?"

As far as the harshness in the interview, they DID say they've had some problems with others they've interviewed. Apparently, (according to them), the previous person told them he knew everything and knew how to use the equipment, and when they had him demonstrate using the equipment, he almost ran them over with the floor machine!! So, I suppose I can see the frustration in that one.

Again though, heres where my issue comes in. One of the managers asked me if I would give them any "pushback" on shift assignments. Let me be clear: That is the word this man used. He explained to me that some of his workers don't always like to be assigned to certain areas of the hospital, such as the Emergency Room. In other words, potential for blood, vomit, etc and a very fast pace.

Thats when I replied with, "Even if I didn't like the assignment you gave me, I wouldn't say anything anyways. I would just do it". I'm a shy person, so its not like I said this with an attitude. I was being very nice, (after all, this is an interview) & thats when the guy got all defensive and worked up for no apparent reason and started ranting about how we can "have it out" AGAIN, his words, not mine.

Once again let me be clear: I don't feel like I said, did, or acted in any manner which would set a normal person off. I was honestly downright confused, and I just remember saying to myself "Why would I want to have it out with this guy?" I almost wanted to look at the guy and go "What ARE you talking about?"

And no, he did not "get in my face" and I never said that he did. He did get LOUD, DEFENSIVE, and basically went off on me for no good reason and like I said I was honestly confused, mainly due to the fact that I couldn't see how saying I wouldn't say anything would **** someone off so much.

This guy went off like a lit fuse. All of a sudden & without warning. And just as fast as he went off, he went back to totally calm again. I know some people don't believe me and thats OK, because I know I am telling the truth on this. Maybe some people are deciphering this different, I don't know.

At the end the guy had to tell me "He's been a manager for 15 years and he's never once raised his voice to anyone" If you have to actually tell me that, to me that in itself is an issue.

So, I don't know maybe there was a discrepancy with the recruiter and the managers for the shift assignment. Maybe. Probably not though. Maybe I came off as a jerk in the interview...Maybe. Probably not though.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,714 times
You're interviewing them just as much as they're interviewing you. This just doesn't sound like a good place to work. The hiring process is clearly mismanaged and disorganized, so you can assume that most of the other functions at this place will be as well. If the hiring manager feels comfortable being hostile during an interview, I assure you that it will be many times worse after you've been hired. The written offer should clarify who you'll be working for and whether you'll be a W-2 employee. If the written offer doesn't clarify this, then I would be very wary of taking the position. Also, once you get the written offer, ask for a copy of the employment manual. Any legitimate company should be more than happy to provide this once the offer has been made. This will give you a very good idea of the way discipline is handled and some insight into the company culture (ie. if there are lots of pages about disciplinary actions and write-ups, this should be a red flag). If they're not willing to hand over the employee handbook, I don't think I personally would accept the position.

Also, remember that once they make you an offer, the negotiations begin. Since it sounds like (and rightfully so) you're already having second thoughts about this company, once the offer is made I would go back and say that you're super excited to work for them but that you're only available to work the shift that you applied for. They loved you enough during the interview to make you the offer, so you have nothing to lose with this. Especially if the pay is the same for both shifts (overnight should have a pay differential, IMO). They'll be faced with losing a great candidate or hiring you for the shift you applied for. If their egos are so large that they consider this some sort of insubordination and rescind the offer, they'll have done you a favor.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:24 AM

521 posts, read 292,504 times
The only real red flag to me is the way the hiring manager treated you in the interview. It is not normal.

If you are not desperate for the job, find something else.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:05 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,568,417 times
Well, the guy acts like an idiot and I wouldn't want to work in that environment for any shift, any pay. Depends on how desperate you are.

They certainly let you know up front what they want and how it will be.

Take it or leave it.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:37 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Ask yourself this: Will $13/hr be enough to pay for all the therapy you'll undoubtedly need from this job?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Red flags I have noticed on my interviews:

1.) The manager of a prospective employer interviews me for a position I did not apply for. He did not read the application thoroughly, or he has high turnover in specific positions.

2.) The manager of a prospective employer wants to hire me in the same pay range with fewer hours. He has a payroll budget to work with, or he does not acknowledge experience, skills, etc. can lead to an expected higher pay wage. The pay and compensation is not good enough for me to leave my current job.

3.) The manager of a prospective employer is desperate to make a hire. If we were on the same page, then the interview would have moved forward in another direction. Not being interested in a position that I did not apply for and pay expectations being higher, I am not moving forward with the prospective employer at this time.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 AM

23 posts, read 49,254 times
I work in HR and recruiting. Have for 25 years and have dealt with all kinds of companies. My answer is RUN! If this job is in Tallahassee, I can tell you, $13.00 is good money for that kind of work, however, you appear to be an intelligent and low maintenance applicant. I wish you the best finding what you need to sustain life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search