Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 01:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

Acquaintances who have undergone the process the previous two-three years have me wincing at how long the process is. If one is working, and my friends where, then taking the time out to have three in person interviews made inroads into their existing company performance. Then there are the behavioral questions with HR appearing to act as jr. psychologists. I would think someone with considerable work experience with a known company and references submitted prior to the interview does not need that type of screening which is subject to considerable bias.

Appears individuality and at least in these type of position creativity and human uniqueness are ignored in the quest for Fit as if humans are not sufficiently flexible or mature in knowing how to comport themselves at work.

Degrades the candidates akin to how boot camp tears down the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They aren't difficult, just stupid and a waste of time. Talking about my strengths and weaknesses and where I see myself in 5 years tells the interviewer absolutely nothing about how I will perform the job

If I'm ever in charge of hiring, I will talk briefly with the candidate about his experience, let him know what the job entails, and then give him a skills test to see if he can handle the job itself.

When you get the canned, irrelevant interview questions, realize that you are dealing with an idiot.
Isn't this what the OP is crying about? That the skills test is too hard?

Old 09-09-2016, 05:18 PM

309 posts, read 515,929 times
The keyword is "dream company."

These large well known companies love hiring foreigners. They use these tests to rule out American citizens to prove that American candidates do not qualify. Not that they would necessarily test their favored candidates this way.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:30 PM

440 posts, read 549,789 times
I don't want this to come across rude or being a wise cracker... It seems that you are just not qualified for the jobs you are applying for , mentally, professional and maturity wise. If you cannot pass or want to take a skill test - something is WRONG!

You want a high level job but do not posses the basic skills needed nor want to LEARN the skills or prepare for the test...

Sorry but I don't think its the employers that are at fault... You shoudl DEMAND they test you so you can without a shadow of a doubt prove you are the person for the job... just seems like you want to act the part...

( I know the above because I been there before - once actually stoped blamming everyone else and got the training and prepared - got the jobs i wanted0

Old 09-09-2016, 06:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie6 View Post
I don't want this to come across rude or being a wise cracker... It seems that you are just not qualified for the jobs you are applying for , mentally, professional and maturity wise. If you cannot pass or want to take a skill test - something is WRONG!

You want a high level job but do not posses the basic skills needed nor want to LEARN the skills or prepare for the test...

Sorry but I don't think its the employers that are at fault... You shoudl DEMAND they test you so you can without a shadow of a doubt prove you are the person for the job... just seems like you want to act the part...

( I know the above because I been there before - once actually stoped blamming everyone else and got the training and prepared - got the jobs i wanted0
I do think its strange because most high level jobs have some sort of state federal or professional organization test that people take (PE for engineers, medical exams, CPA, astuary exams, RN exam etc etc) so most employers just reference these exams and if you passed it it saves the employer time and hassle.

Even USA jobs uses the PE exam as a litmus so that they can stream line and simplify their process. The military uses a FAA civilian private pilot process for their pilots before they transition to military aircraft. Granted these are both federal entities but VERY different.

So for a company to create their own little weird test does kind of smell fishy, it is likely not a mature test or process and was likely half baked. It also unnessicarily puts the applicant on the spot for no reason.

Even if it is a PhD position for los Alamos the applicants likely have publications and papers that have been peer reviewed.

For high level jobs where applicants have already taken onerous exams and certificantions these half baked company internal exams likely only serve a nefarious purpose as another poster pointed out, like "justification" for H1B or the like, or they want to give the job to their brother in law, etc etc.

Maybe the companies have them for people who have experience and a decent resume but have not taken the trade exam in their field yet? Most engineers are not PE's and even fewer have masters degrees so maybe these exams are for the person who maybe wants to be a drafter or an operator where there is not a clear onerous examination process?

Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 PM

273 posts, read 209,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The addition of a test is meant to discover whether someone can actually do the job, since many candidates will exaggerate or lie on their resume. I had an opening for one position where I gave a work sample project, giving the candidates 15 minutes to complete. Those who really knew the work were able to finish and do it right in 5 minutes. Others never finished, or had ridiculous results. It's harder now to get a job for which you are not really well qualified, because they will find out and are not willing to do a lot of training. When you have a few days or a week before the interview, take time to do research, study and even practice for what they might throw at you in their questions and test. One thing that makes a difference for me in hiring is that the person clearly demonstrates a desire to be here, is not just looking for a job, but a job working for us. Again, research is key, knowing facts about the company and mentioning some details in the interview.
I recently started a new job with a good employer. I found the job on Indeed and told them straight up that I had no experience in this particular line of work (but had about 4 years of experience in a similar line of work). I did do a lot of research on the company and field beforehand so I was ready for anything they had to throw at me.

I said, point blank: "I don't have experience with this, but, if given the opportunity, I will do everything humanly possible to learn as much as I can, as quickly as I can".

They ended up hiring someone else for the position, but they liked me so much that they actually created a position for me.

I was shocked and honored. I'm currently on my probationary period and, as you would imagine, I'm working my tail off (coming early, staying late, studying at home, sometimes working through lunch if necessary).

Old 09-11-2016, 11:32 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
OP, you don’t have to be specific with a company name – but more information might help us give you some tips.
Can you provide info about your field, your experience...and what title or level jobs are you applying for?
ARE you aiming too high? we can't say. Not enough background.

We can’t help you aim....if we don’t know where you stand and what your aiming for?

Mostly importantly....keep aiming....with a better viewfinder.

Secondarily, are you good interviewer in general. Also IF, you are aiming high for your experience -- you really DO need to have a kiss arse interview and do well in any testing. Especially because you need to get them to see you CAN do the job despite "not being what they thought they were looking for."

Old 09-11-2016, 02:09 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
One of my former employers had a test very similar to the Stamford Binet IQ test that they gave all candidates. Scores below a certain threshold were automatically disqualified. Harsh, but it did weed out idiots - still, no predictor of OTJ success IMO.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of my former employers had a test very similar to the Stamford Binet IQ test that they gave all candidates. Scores below a certain threshold were automatically disqualified. Harsh, but it did weed out idiots - still, no predictor of OTJ success IMO.
My experience is the more STEM type of classes you take, especially engineering and math, the higher you score on those type of tests, but it doesn't mean a thing about how you perform on the job.

I know several people who are unbelievable performers at work. I would absolutely trounce them on an IQ test, but it doesn't mean I could perform at their level on the job.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:25 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Contingent on the field of study and professional requirements, testing can be the moment to shine!

I would be more lenient on the test side as I have met folks that simply do not test well....yet get them out in their field and they are beacons of success!!

Have you considered a Career center to brush up on testing?

If it helps any...my weakness on testing (from the business side anyways)...is that I do not conform to their "ways". Example question: Are all accidents in the work place preventable? I responded "No". The guy that did the test review stated...yes they are! I said...hmmmm...Tell that to business XY because when their roof collapsed due to a tornado that hit the area...They certainly didn't see anyway to protect the roof structure.
Anytime in testing where its an ALL or Nothing stance...I tend to waver as to Who in their right mind came up with these test questions? Each question can have further details to specify when its required or open ended so the person can use critical thinking to resolve. But no...apparently its all or nothing....and I usually get Nothing for my time to answer honestly and with forth thought. I worked in an environment that on Tuesdays' it was one way...come wednesday...it was a different way.While interesting to learn new ways,it lacked consistency to move forward. It was a circle of trial and errors with no forward movement . Basically keep the staff chasing their tails while the real objectives were going on behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search