Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times

Advertisements

Are you looking into corporate training and learning development? Great, good paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:57 PM

9 posts, read 7,321 times
I'm really wondering if it is my resume and cover letter. I'm reading online that you should not list your experience and you should instead list off your achievements. I'm also wondering if the minimum qualifications are a lie. If they list 1+, 2+, 3+, etc should you add 2 more years on top of that for what they really want to see if you are truly qualified?

Old 03-16-2017, 06:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX77 View Post
I'm really wondering if it is my resume and cover letter. I'm reading online that you should not list your experience and you should instead list off your achievements. I'm also wondering if the minimum qualifications are a lie. If they list 1+, 2+, 3+, etc should you add 2 more years on top of that for what they really want to see if you are truly qualified?
Professional resumes need to be achievements-focused, not duties-based. Minimum requirements are just that, a minimum. If you have the minimum and 15 others have the minimum+more, then that's it. People drastically underestimate their competition and don't sell themselves. You need to think like an employer.

Who would you hire?

- Skills: leadership, training, interpersonal skills.
- Used learning management system Blackboard.

Or

- Led a team of three staff to process XYZ division's full-cycle training from paper manuals to Blackboard LMS.
- Facilitated Blackboard LMS onboarding for 50+ employees at XYZ division.
- Coached management on... Blah, blah, you get the idea.

These both can be the same job, this is how achievements of leadership, training, and interpersonal skills are demonstrated. Don't tell, show.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
If you aren't getting interviews it's your resume. Have someone take a look at it and update it.
How about age? I know alot and folks over 49 with years of exp. That aren't getting a stiff. Many have worked for Fortune 500 companies

Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 458 times
OP here (forgot my password for this account).

Anyway, I wanted to share the amazing news! I took the advise in this thread and totally revamped my resume. Immediately following I was getting interviews on a regular basis. My next challenge was getting an offer. I had been reaching the final group, but they would decide to go with the other candidate. Yesterday, I was offered a position and they offered more than what I asked for!!!

It was amazing putting in my notice yesterday at my job. I wanted to tell them all to go **** themselves, but I remained professional. I can already feel my depression lifting after being at this dysfunctional workplace for so long. Thank you all for your advise and for helping me escape. I am so excited about this new job. This is really going to help my career tremendously.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Congrats!

I may tweak my resume also....

Don't forget to check back after you start, and keep us updated.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:44 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,047,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX777 View Post
OP here (forgot my password for this account).

Anyway, I wanted to share the amazing news! I took the advise in this thread and totally revamped my resume. Immediately following I was getting interviews on a regular basis. My next challenge was getting an offer. I had been reaching the final group, but they would decide to go with the other candidate. Yesterday, I was offered a position and they offered more than what I asked for!!!

It was amazing putting in my notice yesterday at my job. I wanted to tell them all to go **** themselves, but I remained professional. I can already feel my depression lifting after being at this dysfunctional workplace for so long. Thank you all for your advise and for helping me escape. I am so excited about this new job. This is really going to help my career tremendously.
Congrats!

Someone posted earlier in this discussion that luck has a lot to do with it.

Luck (with some preparation) came my way recently. I have a BS science degree. I have been underemployed/unemployed for almost 3 years, and I'm close to 50, so I have a lot to overcome there. I recently got offered a decent job that looks to be better than I had ever hoped to get. The job market in my city is rather weak, despite the very low unemployment rate in the whole state (Colorado).

I got a lot of great interview tips from theinterviewguys website. I prepared a lot for the interviews I went on at this company (2 panel interviews with multiple managers). Two of the managers told me afterwards in an email that they liked how well prepared I was for the interviews. It's a totally new field for me (tech job) and they were looking for someone to train. I said that I wanted to learn whatever they wanted to teach me. They offered me the job and want me to split my time between two different departments (I liked both of the managers of those departments very much.) They offered me more in pay than I had hoped to get anywhere else.

I start the new job tomorrow so I will see how it goes!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:15 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
Lots of good news all around! Congrats to you both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search