Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:14 PM

732 posts, read 969,394 times

Advertisements

I called essentially an early retirement from EE because it is all outside USA (except for a narrow area of DoD in EE field talking here). My areas were biomedical and automated systems engineering. Both my areas were great for decades, really. I had my own engineering automation systems company for over 20 years and I can honestly tell you for most of that I could have made tons of money and hired dozens, but that almost 100% is gone now. I kid not.

Examples of people I worked with all EE field, now doing:

*Top notch electrical design engineer (EE) did really pro stuff from ground up to designs that really worked and made companies money: Now doing concrete driveways
* One of best metrology and calibration EE's for instrumentation systems, was highly prized at top companies like Motorola and others: Working on apartments

* More general examples in the others (I only mean EE educated here) I worked with, which is just about all the other EE's are now doing:
- Half went to IT doing database or something like that, no EE involved or I guarantee zero EE involved.
- Some went to some sort of paperwork, say another 40%
- 8% just doing anything else, salesmen, etc
- Maybe, maybe 2% left doing anything related to EE.

I hate to say but most of the EE work is in China, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, small amount in Germany or Nordic areas. Other places too perhaps. I traveled toward end of my career many places in Asia, just huge plants and setup for R&D, product development, manufacturing lines, etc. Just massive push in those countries and almost nothing, like I say almost 100% gone in USA. Companies saying electrical engineer obviously so totally do not mean engineer, they don't even know what it is unless you mean civil or something. EE no, jobs listed saying EE do not mean EE even if they say it outright, unless it is that small group in DoD of course. Even if you see a real EE job, I can tell from over 30 years in it, as soon as design complete you are being let go. Companies are in a real hate mood toward EE right now. It isn't right. It is terrible for USA, as was a prized field till recently. Get yourself other work, healthcare field (can't be outsourced), something else like that that can't be put overseas. I hate IT/databases/installing software, etc, but try it if you like it though they usually do not want EE's they want people with other degrees.

Last edited by TestEngr; 05-04-2019 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 01:43 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
I called essentially an early retirement from EE because it is all outside USA (except for a narrow area of DoD in EE field talking here). My areas were biomedical and automated systems engineering. Both my areas were great for decades, really. I had my own engineering automation systems company for over 20 years and I can honestly tell you for most of that I could have made tons of money and hired dozens, but that almost 100% is gone now. I kid not.

Examples of people I worked with all EE field, now doing:

*Top notch electrical design engineer (EE) did really pro stuff from ground up to designs that really worked and made companies money: Now doing concrete driveways
* One of best metrology and calibration EE's for instrumentation systems, was highly prized at top companies like Motorola and others: Working on apartments

* More general examples in the others (I only mean EE educated here) I worked with, which is just about all the other EE's are now doing:
- Half went to IT doing database or something like that, no EE involved or I guarantee zero EE involved.
- Some went to some sort of paperwork, say another 40%
- 8% just doing anything else, salesmen, etc
- Maybe, maybe 2% left doing anything related to EE.

I hate to say but most of the EE work is in China, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore, small amount in Germany or Nordic areas. Other places too perhaps. I traveled toward end of my career many places in Asia, just huge plants and setup for R&D, product development, manufacturing lines, etc. Just massive push in those countries and almost nothing, like I say almost 100% gone in USA. Companies saying electrical engineer obviously so totally do not mean engineer, they don't even know what it is unless you mean civil or something. EE no, jobs listed saying EE do not mean EE even if they say it outright, unless it is that small group in DoD of course. Even if you see a real EE job, I can tell from over 30 years in it, as soon as design complete you are being let go. Companies are in a real hate mood toward EE right now. It isn't right. It is terrible for USA, as was a prized field till recently. Get yourself other work, healthcare field (can't be outsourced), something else like that that can't be put overseas. I hate IT/databases/installing software, etc, but try it if you like it though they usually do not want EE's they want people with other degrees.
Absolutely awful! Another STEM field bites the dust, at least in the USA.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:02 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Try temp agencies, and family.
Temp agencies don't hire people without experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Maybe your autism is obvious to employers.
Wow. Where on earth did THAT come from?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
1) Teaching English in Moscow for a year
If he can't get a job in his field, you expect him to do what, starve? OF COURSE he's going to get a job in another field to make ends meet.

Quote:
2) Living at a monastery for 6 months
Again, he's broke. Where do you expect him to live? On the street begging for pennies?

Quote:
Neither of these appear to be activities that show that he is interested in Engineering..
False. It means there are zero entry level jobs that require no experience.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
75% of people in the USA with STEM degrees are forced to work in non-STEM fields. That's 11 million people. STEM is a dead end.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Lie your butt off. Fake jobs, fake references, nothing to lose.
Agreed!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
STEM is unfortunately not the saving grace anymore. We are in more trouble than most pro-Status quo posters will ever admit.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:14 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan_G View Post

I might have gotten rejected from my university because while I was talking to the lady who was partially responsible for making the decision, I told her something like my bachelor’s degree was worth less than toilet paper and that I wanted to go to grad school so that I’d have something to do to entertain myself while I waited to die, and that I wouldn’t go to the university unless I were given work by the university sufficient to pay for my tuition, since I had no faith that my new degree would be worth more than my old one. I don’t usually say things like that when I apply for these jobs though.
Why on earth would you say those things to anyone other than a close friend? What did you expect to come of it by saying those things? That was worse than not applying at all.

I know this is doing to sound harsh, but please don't take it as an insult, it is to help you. You need to grow-up and now. You are working in a community and people picture having to be with you 40 hours a week, every week for years. So you need to get rid of that teenage pessimistic attitude towards everything. It will not serve you and as a hiring manager I wouldn't want to put up with it. I have no time to babysit employees to make them feel entertained at work to validate their efforts. We are running a business, work needs to be done, and we want bright people who have the skills, experience and are pleasant to be around. Drop the nonsense you need in TV, movies and books about someone being difficult but have a great skill so everyone puts up with them. The real world doesn't work that way. You are look the person who sits in front of the fireplace asking for heat first, and then you will put the wood in.

You don't know what networking is. It has nothing to do with going to events and collecting business cards, that's pointless. Networking is by making contacts in your own field of interest through relationships of fellow students, alum, vendors, business contracts, etc. You do that, make a positive impression on them and they will be glad to refer you. But you come across with that dark poisonous cloud of doom like you told the university, then I'm not surprised you can't find a job.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:18 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Lie your butt off. Fake jobs, fake references, nothing to lose.
You want to fly in a plane this OP designed because the OP did those things? We aren't talking about working in a bakery here or bagging groceries, we are talking about something important.

The OP needs a huge attitude adjustment and needs to learn what to do and drop the cynical attitude.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:00 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You want to fly in a plane this OP designed because the OP did those things? We aren't talking about working in a bakery here or bagging groceries, we are talking about something important.

The OP needs a huge attitude adjustment and needs to learn what to do and drop the cynical attitude.
He is lying to get an entry level engineering position where he will learn on the job. No one will die

Old 05-05-2019, 08:41 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
Your original post is well over a year old. Have you found a job yet?

If you taught English for a year, then you're obviously not so shy that you won't speak before an audience. So you must not be so badly introverted such that it would cause you to not be hired.

Are you looking in the right places? There are "hot spots" for engineers. Make sure you try those locations.

Is there anything in your background (drugs, DUIs, etc.) that would keep you from getting a job or maybe a security clearance? If not, try the government agencies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search