Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 6,683 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I was laid off in April 2015 thru no fault of my own. The company I was working for took a 30% downturn in business and made some layoffs of which I was one of them. I'm over 55 and have worked since I was 16. I have been in the IT field for the last 20 years and have done good.
I have many IT certifications and experience but no one will give me a job. I keep hearing the same old responses which I've listed here:

1. You don't have a college degree
2. Your over qualified (for lower level positions both in IT and in other industries)
3. Your under qualified for the higher end positions
4. You've been out of work for too long (like I really wanted to be unemployed for the last 2 years)

There are a few more but I cannot recall them at this time. I do very well on interviews and am well spoken. I have experienced a few times when going on the interviews that I noticed the people in the office were young enough to be my children. At that point I knew I was done with that position.

I have many IT certs (A+, Net+, I-Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCSE, CCNA) and even with them combined with my experience I'm getting no where fast. Since being laid off in April 2015 I've gone thru all my retirement, all of my savings and am on my last leg financially. I lost my home and was forced to move in with friend out of state for now but am not sure how long that would last.

I do have some family but none of them are in a position to help me as they are my children. I fight with discouragement, frustration and loneliness everyday.

I've played by the rules my entire life and should not be in this situation. I raised three children since they were born on my own, worked 50 hours a week plus did side work as well. I just don't know what to do from here. I'm open to relocating but what do you do when you go to a new location, don't know anyone and have no money to rent a place even if your offered a job?

I cannot believe that this is America and that I'm living this horrible life.

I know there are others who have experienced what I'm going thru and was wondering what you did to survive and how did things work out.

-Lost in NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:52 PM

13 posts, read 16,017 times
Hi ipcam33578,

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. I am not sure about North Carolina, but in Texas, they are quick in qualifying one for food stamps (SNAP). Some of the workers at the Texas Health and Human Services will go out of their way to help people too. Also, in many cities, there is a 211 line. Have you looked into SNAP or the 211 line (as far as social services) while you look for a job?

Sending You Positive Vibes,

RedEyes2

Last edited by Redeyes2; 07-24-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Thanks so much RedEyes2. I will look into your recommendations.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,520,506 times
Don't give up! I'm 61 and was let go in November and I got a good job starting next month. Just keep sending your resume out. Have you had anyone review your resume to make sure it's up to date with 2017 standards?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 PM

1,784 posts, read 1,218,369 times
Have you tried contract companies? IT workers I know seem to bounce to a new gig on a contract quicker than those looking for "permanent" positions.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 AM

Hi All,
Yes, my resume is up to 2017 standards. I've had feedback concerning it and everyone says it is well written and done in a professional manner. The only calls or emails I get are from contract companies but once I tell them I'm interested it goes no where. I suspect it is because of the reasons listed above.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,971,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipcam33578 View Post
Hi All,
Yes, my resume is up to 2017 standards. I've had feedback concerning it and everyone says it is well written and done in a professional manner. The only calls or emails I get are from contract companies but once I tell them I'm interested it goes no where. I suspect it is because of the reasons listed above.
I'm curious - have you ventured outside of your former job description to apply for positions that complement your skill set? For example, you not only have a great set of computer tools, but you have years of experience. Is there an option to teach those skills?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 PM

674 posts, read 610,870 times
OP - probably the only professions where grey hair is valued, are the medical ones. I was an engineer for 20+ years and went back to school at 53 y-o to become a physical therapist. I had multiple job offers to choose from when I graduated (nobody gave a damn about my salt-and-pepper hair during interviews), and I still get call and emails from recruiters every week. Several of my patients told me they feel more comfortable with me than with a 25 y-o new grad. If they only knew...

So if you're not afraid of embarking on a whole new career, check out the PTA (Physical Therapist Assistant) or OTA (Occupational Therapist Assistant) degrees offered at community colleges. I just did a quick Google search, and there are multiple such programs in NC. The degrees are associate-level so they do not require a prior 4-yr degree. The job market is very good currently; the hospital where I work has been trying to hire a PT and a PTA for 8 months, and we can't find anybody. My niece just got her OTA degree from Durham Tech, and she is weighing multiple job offers.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:08 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,050,148 times
Keep trying. I was unemployed for 3 years, 49, STEM BS degree. I just got a decent full time job that I was not the strongest candidate for skills wise, but I said that I could learn anything. One of the managers there, who is 60, really liked me at my interview and she hired me right away. I work doing projects for two different managers (the other manager I work for is also 60) and it's going great.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:54 AM

356 posts, read 303,126 times
Very encouraging posts. I just turned 50, have a BS in Finance and am currently working in correspondence department for a mutual fund company. I would love to find something else that is more enjoyable and pays better. Just not sure what to do, meanwhile, time is ticking..and IQ levels are being adversely affected from doing repetitious work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search