Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,047 times

Advertisements

So many of us that have been out of work, are over 45. If this is you, do you think that you'll ever work at your former level again, with regards to your job duties and salary? Or do you think that you've been put out to pasture, and will never find a job at your former job level again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 09:46 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
I just don't know anymore, I'm now 60, have done re-training last year and got a few interviews but still can't get an entry level job.. I'd be happy with $10. an hour plus benefits, I have no doubt I'll never get to the salary I made before, I'd just like enough money to survive and not be homeless.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I just don't know anymore, I'm now 60, have done re-training last year and got a few interviews but still can't get an entry level job.. I'd be happy with $10. an hour plus benefits, I have no doubt I'll never get to the salary I made before, I'd just like enough money to survive and not be homeless.
I can definitely relate to your situation. You're a prime example, that retraining doen't work for everyone. In fact, because they are now so favored in the workplace, I believe that retraining will mainly help only youg people. I also believe that this particular recession, has given employers a golden opportunity to get rid of us middle-agers, and keep us out of the workplace.

I have a friend, who had so much trouble finding work, that she took early retirement, at 62. And this was back in 2004, long before our current great recession. Now she's almost 70, and is struggling to live on her meager Social Security benefits. She's an artist, and wants to start a small online business, selling craft items. This would give her some extra income, to supplement her Social Security payments.

The situation of older 99ers like you, is definitely a cause for concern. And since the job market is still so weak, more and more older 99ers, will proliferate. I think that Congress ought to give tax-breaks, to companies that hire those over 45. This might give many employers, the incentive to do so.

Overall, I see a disturbing trend developing, in the job market; young people getting the lion's share of new jobs that are created. And older workers, having to settle for being either underemployed, or unemployed, and not being hired by employers.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM

9 posts, read 23,198 times
I'm unemployed, over 45 and still looking to make as close to my previous salary as possible.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
I'm 52 and have been working for a company about 6 months now. Haven't worked for anyone in over 16 years, in business for myself.

I looked last year for about a month and took the first job offered. Not making what I did when self employed but still right at 53K a year.

I will start looking again this summer to go into what I was doing years ago. Commercial superintendent because it pays about double what I'm making now.

I don't think age has as much to do with what you bring to the table and how you carry yourself. I go in with the attitude that I can handle any job sent my way, and people who know me know that I can.

Present yourself sharp, present yourself as knowing what you do and them above all things else, produce and show them you can.

I'm a project manager now so I am making a lot of contacts with the companies I will be looking to work for. Building up friendships with the people that hire and showing them I can get the job done.

busta

Old 02-18-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I'm 52 and have been working for a company about 6 months now. Haven't worked for anyone in over 16 years, in business for myself.

I looked last year for about a month and took the first job offered. Not making what I did when self employed but still right at 53K a year.

I will start looking again this summer to go into what I was doing years ago. Commercial superintendent because it pays about double what I'm making now.

I don't think age has as much to do with what you bring to the table and how you carry yourself. I go in with the attitude that I can handle any job sent my way, and people who know me know that I can.

Present yourself sharp, present yourself as knowing what you do and them above all things else, produce and show them you can.

I'm a project manager now so I am making a lot of contacts with the companies I will be looking to work for. Building up friendships with the people that hire and showing them I can get the job done.

busta
Sounds like you have a good plan, and I think you'll do fine. I do want to say, that the problem isn't that older workers think that they can't do a job. I believe the problem is with potential employers, who have the idea that you're over the hill, if you're in middle-age.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:50 PM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
Yes. Next month I start a new job with a previous employer. It will lead to a position that is better than what I had with my previous two employers. I am 50+.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
I hope I am not worn out yet! We have all the experience! I know how you feel, but I think I will work full time again. I think it depends on what type of work you do and what type of ladder you are on etc. I am not about following anyone idea of what age you can and will not work again and be happy. A lot of people our age start new careers. It understand how you feel however, as we are going thru a lot changes, do not get me wrong. I am in the process of trying to start a new career. I realize this recession is not helping any of us, but keep Hope alive! Good Luck!!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 PM

208 posts, read 552,185 times
After 2 years of frustration coupled with being over 60, my best chance is going on "American Idol" next season...wish me luck

Old 02-18-2011, 06:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I was actually homeless and had to go into a homeless shelter and it was the damn scariest thing that ever happened to me in my life. I have no family, so what did not kill me made me strong. I thought I would die when I walked out of the apt and gave those keys to the mgr. I was evicted and my friend drove me to this shelter and it was so weird. It turned out to be not so bad, as it was like a college dorm and a friggin military school. It was regimented and clean and controlled. I was surprised that it was not the stereotype you imagine, just normal people with a few odd ones in between, but mostly people like families and such. It makes you motivated also. Anyway, I was going off subject, but have you considered self employment or starting a business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment