Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:10 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC6ZLV View Post
Not at all. I was trying to make a point that you shouldn't talk down to someone about their major when you have absolutely no clue about a discipline you think should be dismissed.
I agree. You proved him wrong. Sometimes the hiring manager is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 07:28 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Either too much or too little experience. I looked up the LinkedIn profiles of people who have the job I want. The recent hire in my opinion is overqualified. The other was a data entry clerk. I need friends. As soon as I get to my new city, I will be joining meet up groups to network. There is literally no rhyme or reason.

I got another hit on a position that is quite intriguing. I've submitted so many apps that I do not know what is what.

I got another one today with a strange request. They wanted the names of my references and salary info. I sent it but I have not heard back. They treat salary in this state like it is a classified secret. I think I have the right to know what the position pays.

No more apps until next Thursday.

I see a lot of what you describe also. Its even harder in large cities like mine where numerous people move here and you have the long time residents applying also. The news keeps saying "companies cannot find workers" due to low unemployment rate but this is a king sized exaggeration. This may hold true to some very physical jobs like trades and trucking but that's it.

I have now started getting up at 6 am to do an hour of searching. I am working 11 hours a day this week each scheduled day and am using the early morning to jump on applying. My job actually "furloughed" us a week off unpaid. We close for 2 weeks vacation and only one is paid, and the unpaid week was announced on short notice. Like the job but thats a bit worrying too.

Going to conjure up the power of of the Sword of Omens and get up tomorrow early. Soooo tired today!

Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I see a lot of what you describe also. Its even harder in large cities like mine where numerous people move here and you have the long time residents applying also. The news keeps saying "companies cannot find workers" due to low unemployment rate but this is a king sized exaggeration. This may hold true to some very physical jobs like trades and trucking but that's it.

I have now started getting up at 6 am to do an hour of searching. I am working 11 hours a day this week each scheduled day and am using the early morning to jump on applying. My job actually "furloughed" us a week off unpaid. We close for 2 weeks vacation and only one is paid, and the unpaid week was announced on short notice. Like the job but thats a bit worrying too.

Going to conjure up the power of of the Sword of Omens and get up tomorrow early. Soooo tired today!
I agree with many of your points. Low unemployment is a fallacy and there is competition from local residents. Sigh! I may have to consider temp work down the line. I have to do whatever it takes to make it work. I need a champion. Some hiring managers don't want to bothered figuring it out. They want recommendations. I am thankful for the interest.

It must be challenging working so many hours. Are you able to obtain unemployment insurance for the unpaid weeks? Good luck!

Old 07-19-2018, 06:24 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
I agree with many of your points. Low unemployment is a fallacy and there is competition from local residents. Sigh! I may have to consider temp work down the line. I have to do whatever it takes to make it work. I need a champion. Some hiring managers don't want to bothered figuring it out. They want recommendations. I am thankful for the interest.

It must be challenging working so many hours. Are you able to obtain unemployment insurance for the unpaid weeks? Good luck!
Temp work can lead to permanent opportunity sometimes. You can network with new contacts too that can help. You are clearly motivated saying you will do whatever it takes. Thats a plus and that attitude helps a lot!

I uausally don't work this many hours days in a row like that. I have worked that type of schedule in the past so im used to it. With a sharp increase in hours and tips lately I don't need to file any claim thankfully. I will certainly have plenty of time to interview if I am called by a potential employer. Best of luck to you too.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:52 AM

It has been six weeks since I began this journey. It certainly has been a roller coaster ride. I have not been getting any responses from jobs that I believe I am qualified for except one. The pay is quite good for the area. I really like the company's mission. I am waiting to find out if I advance to the second round. They are still interviewing.

I have been considered for some hard to fill positions. I knew it was a stretch. I do not have the specific skillset they are looking for. What can I do, right?

I have also been considered for a type of position I have done but I do not like. I made a costly mistake with this. I sincerely hope they do not move me forward. It would be awkward to decline. NO!

I received an e-mail requesting an in-person interview for my original choice. I had given up on this opportunity. The pay is lousy but enough to reach my goals. It is a great opportunity in my ideal location. I am waiting for an interview date.

I just got a hit that I applied to on a whim. I skimmed over the job description and saw it did not require much experience. I read it a little closer. I can do this without a problem. This is not an entry level position. I guess I will find out when they tell me the salary. Sometimes, they don't.

Nothing yet but I am hopeful.

I had such a pleasant time hiking last week. It was completely unexpected the park is on a beach. It was awesome. The place is beautiful. I am really into nature now. The beach is really scerene. I prayed. I got a gentle rejection. We like you but the position has been filed. She will reach out when another one becomes available. Later in the day, I received an e-mail stating I am still in the running for my original choice. Yay!

I follow up to express my continued interest. I hope I can secure something soon. I was so stressed at one point that I bought a monkey. It is a stuff animal but I find it soothing. The hunt goes on.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:04 PM

25 posts, read 18,805 times
Job Hunting is one of the most stressful experiences I ever had. It just shows how much of how we value ourselves is tied up with our job position, salary, the material things we have, etc. So when we're out of commission, we feel our lowest.

There have been times where I didn't want to get out of bed. I felt I had nothing to live for. There had been times when I would stress about what others thought about me. Did they think I was lazy, unambitious, pitiful? Look at my cousin, he landed a new job traveling and making great money, he just scored a new Mercedes, but I am still here-jobless. Look at my classmate, she just made the 40 under 40 list, what have I done? Nothing!

These are all the emotions I felt, plus many more.

Just know when you are at your lowest, there is no where else to go, but up. Even if progress won't come the next day, or next week, or even the next month. Just know that it is coming. Persistence will pay off.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Rec View Post
Job Hunting is one of the most stressful experiences I ever had. It just shows how much of how we value ourselves is tied up with our job position, salary, the material things we have, etc. So when we're out of commission, we feel our lowest.

There have been times where I didn't want to get out of bed. I felt I had nothing to live for. There had been times when I would stress about what others thought about me. Did they think I was lazy, unambitious, pitiful? Look at my cousin, he landed a new job traveling and making great money, he just scored a new Mercedes, but I am still here-jobless. Look at my classmate, she just made the 40 under 40 list, what have I done? Nothing!

These are all the emotions I felt, plus many more.

Just know when you are at your lowest, there is no where else to go, but up. Even if progress won't come the next day, or next week, or even the next month. Just know that it is coming. Persistence will pay off.
I appreciate your insight and it is true. I feel bad about my marketability. I guess it is an eye opener. The market determines your worth in the job market. Entry level but not really. Sigh!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:46 AM

I had a really good interview yesterday. I hope they invite me for an in-person interview. It looks like they have been looking for a while and not many people have applied for this job. I see opportunity and growth. I can stay right there after I complete my Master's. Entry level but not really. Hmmm. It is going to hurt if I do not get this. The wheels are turning. The hunt continues. I want this, please.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:33 AM

25 posts, read 18,805 times
Quote:
I had a really good interview yesterday. I hope they invite me for an in-person interview. It looks like they have been looking for a while and not many people have applied for this job. I see opportunity and growth. I can stay right there after I complete my Master's. Entry level but not really. Hmmm. It is going to hurt if I do not get this. The wheels are turning. The hunt continues. I want this, please.
I am crossing my fingers for you!

Old 08-07-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Rec View Post
I am crossing my fingers for you!

I appreciate it. I finally got the date and time for the other opportunity.

I will follow up on this one on a Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search