Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 03:05 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I find it difficult to decipher the issues going on here. Your (written) communication style is difficult to read through. Is this part of the issue perhaps? Communication is an integral part of collaboration on a team. I would hope that it's not showing through on your resume or during any interview opportunities you receive.

Out of one side of your mouth, you tell us that you need a portfolio to showcase your work. Surely you have something from school for this type of degree program. But then you say you have nothing worth showing? Why is that? Are you being self-critical, or is it really not that good? If it's really not that good, then maybe it's time to think about another career path.
I was hoping you'd infer what I meant without me having to explain it because when I've said it in the past to some people in simple terms they don't get it to the point they see me as an awful person so I get tired of it getting misunderstood..not that I care what people think persay it just gets old.

I mean it depends on what you mean by "good" because some people have higher standards for talent but even outside of the higher standards the school stuff sucks (well at least what I can find of it, I can't find the website I did and don't remember what it looked like). I had no motivation there and wasn't as familiar with Photoshop then. My best work comes from my personal projects but I can't show it. My former coach originally thought it was going to be a great idea but I guess after talking to her manager she didn't think it was appropriate because she never put it in. My neighbor oversaw one of my most recent projects and she said wow that's really good. She often tells me I need to have more confidence in myself that I'm smart and stuff but I don't feel like anything I am good at is marketable. I could probably put out my latest work and get hits but I'd rather make money out of it. However I don't know if it's right to do. It's too personal. Compared to other things I did, it's lucky I have an avenue to put it out for free because in another place I've had marks on my account in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2022, 03:09 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,116,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I was hoping you'd infer what I meant without me having to explain it because when I've said it in the past to some people in simple terms they don't get it to the point they see me as an awful person so I get tired of it getting misunderstood..not that I care what people think persay it just gets old.

I mean it depends on what you mean by "good" because some people have higher standards for talent but even outside of the higher standards the school stuff sucks (well at least what I can find of it, I can't find the website I did and don't remember what it looked like). I had no motivation there and wasn't as familiar with Photoshop then. My best work comes from my personal projects but I can't show it. My former coach originally thought it was going to be a great idea but I guess after talking to her manager she didn't think it was appropriate because she never put it in. My neighbor oversaw one of my most recent projects and she said wow that's really good. She often tells me I need to have more confidence in myself that I'm smart and stuff but I don't feel like anything I am good at is marketable. I could probably put out my latest work and get hits but I'd rather make money out of it. However I don't know if it's right to do. It's too personal. Compared to other things I did, it's lucky I have an avenue to put it out for free because in another place I've had marks on my account in the past.
First off,

STOP THAT NOISE!

Secondly, if you're going to make it in anything, you're going to have to be vulnerable and accept rejection as it comes, and celebrate success where you find it.

But you won't be doing any of that unless you take action and take risks.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:51 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I can understand such measures if you're a top company, or if you have too many good candidates and need to weed down the list, but we're in a tight labor market. I'm literally seeing companies searching for years refusing to budge on any of their requirements. In the past (preā€“Great Recession) it seemed like companies took more chances on candidates that didn't have all the requirements but showed great promise.

Was there a change in management culture, to seek readymade employees?
Are they trying to justify the need to eventually bring in foreign workers?
Are hiring manages just delusional or egocentric refusing to consider current dynamics of the labor market?

Not trying to rag on business, just generally curious on what gives.
Their logic escapes me. Because there is no reason for a top company or any other company, to require applicants to do pre-employment work as proof they can do something. That's an amateur league move doing that. People have degrees and work experience, I'm against further testing them under a pointless exercise. Even for an internship we don't test people. When applicants refuse to do these things, then they will stop doing them. The work you do on a job isn't the same as a test, and comparing the two is crazy, because if you are screening qualified applicants to begin with, they've already proven they are worthy, and a good company would realize this.

Small and tiny companies are a different story. It doesn't take much to keep their business going, they might even be in financial trouble and there is no filter to who can and can't open a business. This is why so many businesses fail within the first few years because they have clueless management. There is no shortage of these people who talk a good game about their company's abilities and how demanding they are, but most don't make any money.

This it the Job Search forum, so this is what people should do when looking for your next job. Make a list of very good companies to work at. Don't even be concerned if they have openings there or not. You make a list of these companies and find out everything you can about them. Then expand your network to those people who work at those companies. Most companies will pay those existing employees a referral bonus if they recommend someone who gets hire. It's a very simple thing for them to do which puts cash in their pockets. The companies encourage this by asking for referrals and offering them cash.HR has metrics to know that long-term those people hired by referral work out as good employees to the company's advantage.

When you network, that doesn't mean you go to these dumb networking gatherings and give 20 people in the room your business card. That does nothing but get people trying to contact you to sell you things like from career coaches and other time and money wasters. Whatever industry you are in, there are trade shows, user groups and meet ups available. Even if they are entirely online, you should join them to use that to build your network.

When you do this, you get recommended for new openings by people that know you and this puts your resume in front of the hiring manager. Do this first, don't go through HR unless there is no other way.

Old 02-27-2022, 11:21 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
My best work comes from my personal projects but I can't show it.
Why not?

You can add them to your portfolio. You can add any work you've done, that you or other people have said is good work. That's 100% up to you.

But, employers will count that as education since nobody paid you to do it. Catch-22. Employers do not care about skills, they care about work experience first and foremost.

Quote:
I don't feel like anything I am good at is marketable.
If your work is good, then it is marketable. The problem is that the catch-22 stands in the way. Unfortunately, the usual suspects here will tell you the catch-22 does not exist and have zero help in that. They'll just look down on you - so ignore them.

One way to get around the catch-22 is luck - meeting an employer who will give you a chance with zero experience.

Another way to get around the catch-22 is to get internships in graphic design - but you can only get those if you are in the middle of a degree program. Cannot get them after you graduate.

Quote:
I could probably put out my latest work and get hits but I'd rather make money out of it. However I don't know if it's right to do. It's too personal.
What do you mean "too personal"?

A lot of graphic design is artistic in nature - and the best art is that uplifts people and expresses deep emotion at the same time.

Old 03-03-2022, 11:35 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,136 times
Quote:
Are hiring manages just delusional or egocentric refusing to consider current dynamics of the labor market?
That is part of the problem right there. Too many places have their heads up their behinds and I have no sympathy for those who suffer the consequences. Like I am in a group of temporary workers, and we have this one guy who is clearly the best of the computer technicians that we have. Sadly he cannot even get an interview as a permanent employee at our job, because he doesn't have "five years of experience." Another example of employees not being able to find employees is a bunch of crock!!

Old 03-04-2022, 10:34 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
That is part of the problem right there. Too many places have their heads up their behinds and I have no sympathy for those who suffer the consequences. Like I am in a group of temporary workers, and we have this one guy who is clearly the best of the computer technicians that we have. Sadly he cannot even get an interview as a permanent employee at our job, because he doesn't have "five years of experience." Another example of employees not being able to find employees is a bunch of crock!!
So true.

Employers don't care about skills, they care about work experience first and foremost.

Old 03-09-2022, 05:53 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
They can afford to be picky, unfortunately. This is a system that's unlikely to change.

I was very fortunate to have an employer give me a chance in Special Education despite not being the best place to work.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:07 PM

1,651 posts, read 867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Their logic escapes me. Because there is no reason for a top company or any other company, to require applicants to do pre-employment work as proof they can do something. That's an amateur league move doing that. People have degrees and work experience, I'm against further testing them under a pointless exercise. Even for an internship we don't test people. When applicants refuse to do these things, then they will stop doing them. The work you do on a job isn't the same as a test, and comparing the two is crazy, because if you are screening qualified applicants to begin with, they've already proven they are worthy, and a good company would realize this.

Small and tiny companies are a different story. It doesn't take much to keep their business going, they might even be in financial trouble and there is no filter to who can and can't open a business. This is why so many businesses fail within the first few years because they have clueless management. There is no shortage of these people who talk a good game about their company's abilities and how demanding they are, but most don't make any money.

This it the Job Search forum, so this is what people should do when looking for your next job. Make a list of very good companies to work at. Don't even be concerned if they have openings there or not. You make a list of these companies and find out everything you can about them. Then expand your network to those people who work at those companies. Most companies will pay those existing employees a referral bonus if they recommend someone who gets hire. It's a very simple thing for them to do which puts cash in their pockets. The companies encourage this by asking for referrals and offering them cash.HR has metrics to know that long-term those people hired by referral work out as good employees to the company's advantage.

When you network, that doesn't mean you go to these dumb networking gatherings and give 20 people in the room your business card. That does nothing but get people trying to contact you to sell you things like from career coaches and other time and money wasters. Whatever industry you are in, there are trade shows, user groups and meet ups available. Even if they are entirely online, you should join them to use that to build your network.

When you do this, you get recommended for new openings by people that know you and this puts your resume in front of the hiring manager. Do this first, don't go through HR unless there is no other way.
Good points on the referral suggestion My present company offers referral bonuses and has hired 3 of the last 5 employees in this manner. I will add, that it comes down to the company. My previous company never hired referrals. Use to wonder why bother asking for referrals if they are not going to hire anyone suggested.

Regarding the top company line. Very valid points. Another problem I didn't think about is every company considering themselves a "top company." Seems like many in executive management get an overinflated opinion of themselves and the company for which they work. Not trying to sound bitter, because I'm not. I understand people run their companies how they desire. It would jut be nice if common sense returned to the hiring process.

Old 03-10-2022, 01:33 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
I will add, that it comes down to the company. My previous company never hired referrals. Use to wonder why bother asking for referrals if they are not going to hire anyone suggested.
Some companies just aren't very well run. It's like having an employee suggestion box on the company intranet, and then not considering any of the suggestions.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:08 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Some companies just aren't very well run. It's like having an employee suggestion box on the company intranet, and then not considering any of the suggestions.
Agreed. In the past if your company wasn't well run, well you eventually went out of business. Now it seems a company needs to only last long enough to the next recession to get a government bailout. Leaders get rewarded without being that good. Look at Gamestop, Hertz, and AMC for example. Poorly ran companies who were only saved by government intervention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search