Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2022, 03:02 AM

2,616 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

A suggestion for those starting out today.

You start out a new job and you give it all you have, as you should. Hopefully, things will work out OK. You learn the job, learn about the company and the industry you are in. You get the right training and guidance, learn the fine details and develop your technique to do the best work you can.

But suppose the job just doesn't turn out? The "well oiled machine" is full of rust. Your training may be subpar, the atmosphere full of chaos and you can't get answers from anyone. E mails get lost or never read, reports get lost. You discover that some coworkers and bosses do a lot of scheming, etc.

You are fortunate if this doesn't happen but more than likely, you will see it sooner or later in at least one workplace. Set yourself a time limit, I suggest one year. If you are able to survive and get ahead a bit, all well and good. Stick around and keep up the good work. If things don't ever settle down and it's not a good fit, cut your losses and look elsewhere. I say a year because I think that's a reasonable "honeymoon" period. I can go to most places and tough out anything for that long. Overlook the problems, ignore the negative and focus on the positive. Got a lot to learn and have to focus on that. But if things don't improve, the negatives become a burden. A good attitude is harder to maintain when I seem to be the only one doing it. Some workplaces aren't going to improve. It could also be that the business is not any easy one to start with. For example; if you don't like constant commotion, don't work restaurants. Commotion is their business. But in general, commotion and chaos shouldn't be a normal day. Get out before it ruins your attitude and outlook. You don't need the turmoil. The one exception was a company where I began looking after my first month. I had many good coworkers and the pay was fairly good. But the daily meetings were torture. Constant reprimands about how sorry everyone was, coming from superiors that were sorry characters themselves. Fortunately, I found something else and only spent 3 months there.

In general, network as much as you can. Have some idea what companies in your town are doing. Who is growing, who is losing ground, who can't keep help, who can't keep customers, etc. This is all good to know as you look around. Bottom line; don't invest too much time where things aren't likely to improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 04:00 PM

376 posts, read 320,213 times
I stayed 9 weeks at one job before I cut and ran. Things that weren't apparent during two interviews reared their ugly head once I was hired. Found another job and left. First and last time that ever happened. Nothing to feel bad about.

I know someone who worked a job four months, and then left for another position because again, things not apparent during interview showed up a couple of months into the job.

During a career, this happens. Just cut your losses and move on.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:02 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

You start out a new job and you give it all you have, as you should. Hopefully, things will work out OK. You learn the job, learn about the company and the industry you are in. You get the right training and guidance, learn the fine details and develop your technique to do the best work you can.

But suppose the job just doesn't turn out? The "well oiled machine" is full of rust. Your training may be subpar, the atmosphere full of chaos and you can't get answers from anyone. E mails get lost or never read, reports get lost. You discover that some coworkers and bosses do a lot of scheming, etc.

You are fortunate if this doesn't happen but more than likely, you will see it sooner or later in at least one workplace. Set yourself a time limit, I suggest one year. If you are able to survive and get ahead a bit, all well and good. Stick around and keep up the good work. If things don't ever settle down and it's not a good fit, cut your losses and look elsewhere. I say a year because I think that's a reasonable "honeymoon" period. I can go to most places and tough out anything for that long. Overlook the problems, ignore the negative and focus on the positive. Got a lot to learn and have to focus on that.

But if things don't improve, the negatives become a burden. A good attitude is harder to maintain when I seem to be the only one doing it. Some workplaces aren't going to improve. It could also be that the business is not any easy one to start with. For example; if you don't like constant commotion, don't work restaurants. Commotion is their business. But in general, commotion and chaos shouldn't be a normal day. Get out before it ruins your attitude and outlook. You don't need the turmoil. The one exception was a company where I began looking after my first month. I had many good coworkers and the pay was fairly good. But the daily meetings were torture. Constant reprimands about how sorry everyone was, coming from superiors that were sorry characters themselves. Fortunately, I found something else and only spent 3 months there.

In general, network as much as you can. Have some idea what companies in your town are doing. Who is growing, who is losing ground, who can't keep help, who can't keep customers, etc. This is all good to know as you look around. Bottom line; don't invest too much time where things aren't likely to improve.
Thank you for spelling it all out. I only lasted 3 months on my recent part-time retirement job. There was so. much. wrong. I tried to last 6 months (to the end of the year). Couldn't do it. Didn't want to do it. And thankfully I didn't have to.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:45 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post

You are fortunate if this doesn't happen but more than likely, you will see it sooner or later in at least one workplace. Set yourself a time limit, I suggest one year. If you are able to survive and get ahead a bit, all well and good. Stick around and keep up the good work. If things don't ever settle down and it's not a good fit, cut your losses and look elsewhere. I say a year because I think that's a reasonable "honeymoon" period. I can go to most places and tough out anything for that long. Overlook the problems, ignore the negative and focus on the positive. Got a lot to learn and have to focus on that. But if things don't improve, the negatives become a burden. A good attitude is harder to maintain when I seem to be the only one doing it. Some workplaces aren't going to improve. It could also be that the business is not any easy one to start with. For example; if you don't like constant commotion, don't work restaurants. Commotion is their business. But in general, commotion and chaos shouldn't be a normal day. Get out before it ruins your attitude and outlook. You don't need the turmoil. The one exception was a company where I began looking after my first month. I had many good coworkers and the pay was fairly good. But the daily meetings were torture. Constant reprimands about how sorry everyone was, coming from superiors that were sorry characters themselves. Fortunately, I found something else and only spent 3 months there.

Good advice. Anyway, nowadays, not many people stay in one place for long. That's the trend.

Old 10-31-2022, 09:25 PM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times
About 10 years ago, I was recruited to join a start-up company. They misrepresented the company during the interview and I ended up joining them. (I learned from the experience.)

After working there for a week, I realized that I made a big mistake. I decided to “stick it out”
and see if I could make it work. Long story short, I left after 9 months.

Company was dysfunctional and toxic (departmental infighting and competition.)

Old 11-01-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you for spelling it all out. I only lasted 3 months on my recent part-time retirement job. There was so. much. wrong. I tried to last 6 months (to the end of the year). Couldn't do it. Didn't want to do it. And thankfully I didn't have to.
Yes, as a retiree you have more freedom to move along. If your employer had a grain of sense, your leaving opened his eyes. If not, he will never keep help for long.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNJ View Post
I stayed 9 weeks at one job before I cut and ran. Things that weren't apparent during two interviews reared their ugly head once I was hired. Found another job and left. First and last time that ever happened. Nothing to feel bad about.

I know someone who worked a job four months, and then left for another position because again, things not apparent during interview showed up a couple of months into the job.

During a career, this happens. Just cut your losses and move on.
Good for you. You and your friend both realized you'd stepped into a swamp and got out of it.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
About 10 years ago, I was recruited to join a start-up company. They misrepresented the company during the interview and I ended up joining them. (I learned from the experience.)

After working there for a week, I realized that I made a big mistake. I decided to “stick it out”
and see if I could make it work. Long story short, I left after 9 months.

Company was dysfunctional and toxic (departmental infighting and competition.)

I recall one supervisor in our department who was a really nice person but high strung and temperamental when the pressure was on. Her screaming could be heard all over the floor. Hight pitched, glass breaking kind of screaming. Several young girls just out of high school started on her team and lasted a week. One girl went out to lunch and didn't return.

My 1 year suggestion is sort of a maximum for general circumstances. Shows that you gave something a chance and tried your best. But in some places, a year will land you in a padded cell.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:45 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I chewed my fingernails down to the quick and broke a baby gate (for my dogs) when I was at my wit's end, that's how bad my situation was. No job is worth that. My nails have grown back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search