Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 08:54 PM

23 posts, read 18,834 times

Advertisements

I had 3 phone screens and I did not get the interview. I was fired from my job in April 2023 and said this to the recruiters. Since then had another phone screen and got the interview (but did not receive a job offer) and I said that I was let go based on performance. I received a successful performance review but my manager felt that I needed to work on 2 areas (effective communication and milestones). I am currently auditing a continuing education course in effective communication (Wharton online course).
I am in the process of redoing my resume and am trying to find a course to improve my interview skills.
Do you think I can resubmit my updated resume to these 3 companies to try to get another phone screen?
Also do you have any suggestions for how to improve my interview skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 10:06 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
IMO, I would look elsewhere and at other companies.

One tactic I used to prepare for job interviews was to practice and practice with my friends and any colleagues who would be willing to help me out. Engage in “role play” exercises with them - you are the “candidate”, they are the “hiring manager.” Review You Tube videos on interviewing tactics and techniques.

Read books on how to interview and how to prepare properly for interviews. Rehearse the entire interview process with your friends. Prepare in advance for any potentially awkward questions that you think may be asked at the interview, so that you can answer confidently at the interview in case you are asked.

I have found that proper research (about the company and job position expectations) prior to the interview are the best ways to prepare in advance for the interview. You will appear confident and prepared for the interview, which is critical for presenting yourself as a solid candidate.

Use a mirror to check your body language and non-verbal signals when you are answering questions. How do you appear in public? Are you smiling and confident?

Last edited by ccm123; 06-22-2023 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-22-2023, 11:02 AM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Never say you were "fired". They will immediately assume you are a poor performed or can't get along with people. Say you quit or laid off. If you insist on being honest say you were "let go".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search