Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 10:12 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I do not want to go back to school for anything, but in my future I am thinking of starting a small farm (which sounds fun but more physical) to escape the mess of the white collared world
I don't blame you one bit. I tried the same thing for the same reason, and in four years went through all my savings and had to get a part time job to help pay for the farm. It's a business and you have to treat it as such, with a plan, capital, labor resources, and a market for your products. It was probably the best time in my life, but unfortunately wasn't sustainable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2023, 11:39 AM

351 posts, read 161,143 times
So you have an IT degree, work in law, and want to start a farm?

Old 09-28-2023, 11:53 AM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
The big life isn't all it's cracked up to be.

A friend told me a story once about his best friend in high school who somehow got in with a big corporation without any experience, I believe he said it was IBM. He lasted about a year before shooting himself in his car after work one day. Left a note saying something like he didn't think life was going to be like this, and he didn't like it. Obviously he had other issues, but some types of jobs can lead people to mental breakdowns and depression. I've dealt with it myself and have had to leave the jobs to save myself.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:30 PM

6,365 posts, read 2,700,936 times
I'm going to hit you with a bit of reality. Sometimes life isn't easy.

You spent the time, and presumably money, on a degree you really don't like. You want to do remote work but don't want to do it in the one industry where there is tons of remote work available...IT.

You are working in "law" but without a degree and in a profession that is one of the few that needs to be done in person. Especially at the Admin level. Think about it...how many of the people in your office are "Remote"? I would guess zero, as if there were this would be a moot point. You would just work remotely with the current job.

If you have been applying for jobs ever since you started, you didn't even give the company a chance. One of the biggest red flags for a prospective employer is seeing someone already looking for a job after only being at a new job for a couple of months. The other issue is again back at your degree. It is not ordinary for someone with an IT degree to apply for jobs in the Law Field for a job that is really not much above Entry Level.

I would honestly suggest you look at the school you graduated from and see if they offer any career services. Such as Job counseling, Resume Assistance, or Job referrals.

Short of that I would consider sticking it out at this job for a while longer, laying off the formal job search. Let the recruiters "forget" about you for a few months and go with a fresh start when you start up again. During this time you can also perhaps do some thinking about what you really want to do.

Old 09-28-2023, 03:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
[quote=moshywilly;65880680]I am 25M and I graduated in 2020. I will not give too much detail about myself in case people that know me find this post, but I have a Bachelor's that is not in law. I live on the East Bay and I commute to San Francisco every day. The commute is miserable, also this is my first full-time job out of college and I was never taught on how soul-sucking an 8 to 4:30 job is and I eventually want to get out of working in SF. The commute is getting more miserable after BART shortened their train lengths making the trains more crowded. I really don't see how people commuted from the East Bay to SF every day for their entire adulthood from 20 something to 60 something (retirement age) pre-covid. I work in immigration law and I like the role, but not the concept of going in office every day, the commute, seeing riff raffs on the streets of SF, being on a team where me and one other person does more work than all the people on my team who stare at their phone all day even when it is busy. [quote=moshywilly;65880680]
That Bachelor's is purely decorative.
The average employee goes to work, has a commute, a family and everything else on top.
You think highly of your productivity but do you actually deliver?

Quote:
I am desperately trying to get out of this job. I am looking for full time jobs locally in the East Bay since remote jobs seem competitive to get right now, but a lot of in person white collared jobs in the Bay Area dried up probably due to remote work and I am trying to avoid SF and Oakland at all costs, as I hate commuting from a less city-like area to a big city, which I don't get how people can do that their whole life. I am from NJ and I want to move back East as I miss the East Coast, but I need a remote job in order for me to move. I don't want to have to hunt for a job after moving. [
Ty an a bit more realistic approach. What are you bringing to the table? What are your qualifications an employer would see as desirable enough to consider WFH?

Quote:
I have been applying for jobs ever since I joined the firm in 2021. Of course I was not even at the firm for a year yet at 2021, but even though i gained experience by now and have experience at an injury law firm, jobs don't seem to be calling me back. I have a decent resume with cover up-able embellishments and even a few entry level cover up-able lies and not hearing back. The last time I had an interview was in July and before that was October 2022, but only had very few recruiting calls, which the recruiting agencies flaked out on me despite following up. I tried everything including cold messaging people on LinkedIn.
The one who flaked out seems to be you. It is so easy to spot those as you call it "cover-up lies".

Quote:
Any techniques on how to get a remote job or even how to get an in person job on the East Bay? I guess the recession is affecting my job search? It's really soul sucking. I spend my time after work job searching and when I have any kind of leisure time on weekends, I feel guilty and I feel like I am losing job hunting time.
You may want to invest time and money in working on your education and job training. 25, graduated in 2020, did not enter your field, clerical support with on the job training in a small law firm since 2021. This is entry level.

It is time to assess what you have and where you can go from there without unrealistic whining and demands.

As far as the farm is concerned - work on a farm for six months.

Old 09-28-2023, 04:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I think it will be difficult to be new in a job and work from home. You would have to apply to the job sites that are advertising the jobs as work from home jobs I would think.

Commuting does suck. Where I live it got much worse over the years with more influx of population.

Once I decided I was going to get the best job I could get even if that meant commuting. I actually wanted to work for a company that had other locations that I was interested in living. I was in the Bay Area from 1988 to 2002. I decided I needed to get the heck out of dodge around 1997ish and I took a corporate job out of college and worked there two years (so, then I had experience in my field). Then, I took a job (with a huge commute) and was there about two years and started applying for an internal transfer.

It can be a process to relocate yourself (but, well worth it).

Old 09-29-2023, 05:13 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
If you want to own a farm eventually, why not apply for farm assistant jobs in Middle of Nowhere, USA and tell them you are willing to relocate?

Old 09-29-2023, 06:17 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,873 times
Quote:
Immigration law is balanced in every major city. Now that's a bummer because I enjoy it, but the problem is the immigration law jobs tend to be in big cities but i am applying for compliance jobs and various types of law (no jd or bar). Immigration law jobs are only a small fraction of all law jobs. I need a job that does not require big city living /big city commuting. I need something full time remote so I can escape the bay area entirely.
Perhaps some Fortune 500 companies have their own in-house immigration law staff. I worked or a Fortune 500 company that had theirs in-house.

If you can't find a remote position, see if you can pick a job which is location in better city, such as Sacramento or Nashville or Vegas or Indianapolis. Perhaps you can look for a law firm in a decent suburban area that is located outside of the large city....such as in a suburb 30 minutes outside the city.

Good luck, you can do this.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:21 AM

7,747 posts, read 3,785,899 times
Quote:
I am 25M and I graduated in 2020. I will not give too much detail about myself in case people that know me find this post, but I have a Bachelor's that is not in law. I live on the East Bay and I commute to San Francisco every day. The commute is miserable, also this is my first full-time job out of college and I was never taught on how soul-sucking an 8 to 4:30 job is and I eventually want to get out of working in SF. The commute is getting more miserable after BART shortened their train lengths making the trains more crowded. I really don't see how people commuted from the East Bay to SF every day for their entire adulthood from 20 something to 60 something (retirement age) pre-covid. I work in immigration law and I like the role, but not the concept of going in office every day, the commute, seeing riff raffs on the streets of SF, being on a team where me and one other person does more work than all the people on my team who stare at their phone all day even when it is busy.

I am desperately trying to get out of this job. I am looking for full time jobs locally in the East Bay since remote jobs seem competitive to get right now, but a lot of in person white collared jobs in the Bay Area dried up probably due to remote work and I am trying to avoid SF and Oakland at all costs, as I hate commuting from a less city-like area to a big city, which I don't get how people can do that their whole life. I am from NJ and I want to move back East as I miss the East Coast, but I need a remote job in order for me to move. I don't want to have to hunt for a job after moving.

I have been applying for jobs ever since I joined the firm in 2021. Of course I was not even at the firm for a year yet at 2021, but even though i gained experience by now and have experience at an injury law firm, jobs don't seem to be calling me back. I have a decent resume with cover up-able embellishments and even a few entry level cover up-able lies and not hearing back. The last time I had an interview was in July and before that was October 2022, but only had very few recruiting calls, which the recruiting agencies flaked out on me despite following up. I tried everything including cold messaging people on LinkedIn.

Any techniques on how to get a remote job or even how to get an in person job on the East Bay? I guess the recession is affecting my job search? It's really soul sucking. I spend my time after work job searching and when I have any kind of leisure time on weekends, I feel guilty and I feel like I am losing job hunting time.
Go to work as a headhunter where your clients are immigration law firms or personal injury firms & you source talent for them. There are many small, medium and large such recruiting firms around.

Should be 100% remote (or close to it).

Your employer gives you access to databases and clients; you spend much of your day calling & emailing hypothetical candidates seeing if they might be open to interviewing for a job. As you might imagine, most of your calls are unsuccessful, but every now and then you find a candidate who is both interested and qualified. Typically, you are paid both a base and a success fee (if a candidate is hired & stays on the job for 6 months or something). You'll earn solid 6 figures.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:36 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Go to work as a headhunter where your clients are immigration law firms or personal injury firms & you source talent for them. There are many small, medium and large such recruiting firms around.

Should be 100% remote (or close to it).

Your employer gives you access to databases and clients; you spend much of your day calling & emailing hypothetical candidates seeing if they might be open to interviewing for a job. As you might imagine, most of your calls are unsuccessful, but every now and then you find a candidate who is both interested and qualified. Typically, you are paid both a base and a success fee (if a candidate is hired & stays on the job for 6 months or something). You'll earn solid 6 figures.
Do you really think OP has the tenacity, drive and willingness for 18 hr days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search