Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 11:22 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I am 25M and I graduated in 2020. I will not give too much detail about myself in case people that know me find this post, but I have a Bachelor's that is not in law. I live on the East Bay and I commute to San Francisco every day. The commute is miserable, also this is my first full-time job out of college and I was never taught on how soul-sucking an 8 to 4:30 job is and I eventually want to get out of working in SF. The commute is getting more miserable after BART shortened their train lengths making the trains more crowded. I really don't see how people commuted from the East Bay to SF every day for their entire adulthood from 20 something to 60 something (retirement age) pre-covid. I work in immigration law and I like the role, but not the concept of going in office every day, the commute, seeing riff raffs on the streets of SF, being on a team where me and one other person does more work than all the people on my team who stare at their phone all day even when it is busy.

I am desperately trying to get out of this job.
I am looking for full time jobs locally in the East Bay since remote jobs seem competitive to get right now, but a lot of in person white collared jobs in the Bay Area dried up probably due to remote work and I am trying to avoid SF and Oakland at all costs, as I hate commuting from a less city-like area to a big city, which I don't get how people can do that their whole life. I am from NJ and I want to move back East as I miss the East Coast, but I need a remote job in order for me to move. I don't want to have to hunt for a job after moving.

I have been applying for jobs ever since I joined the firm in 2021. Of course I was not even at the firm for a year yet at 2021, but even though i gained experience by now and have experience at an injury law firm, jobs don't seem to be calling me back. I have a decent resume with cover up-able embellishments and even a few entry level cover up-able lies and not hearing back. The last time I had an interview was in July and before that was October 2022, but only had very few recruiting calls, which the recruiting agencies flaked out on me despite following up. I tried everything including cold messaging people on LinkedIn.

Any techniques on how to get a remote job or even how to get an in person job on the East Bay? I guess the recession is affecting my job search? It's really soul sucking. I spend my time after work job searching and when I have any kind of leisure time on weekends, I feel guilty and I feel like I am losing job hunting time.
Not suggesting you leave the country but... you're only young once.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/65811370-post67.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 05:45 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Or, you only live once. The age doesn't matter so much if an opportunity presents itself. If you're not cut out to be a compliant office/corporate drone who enjoys climbing ladders there's always other paths to follow.

Old 09-29-2023, 10:24 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
There IS no "Bachelors of Law" degree.

Old 09-30-2023, 09:04 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Immigration is generally tied into immigration requirements of the targeted country. Education, job skills, finances to use a very broad brush. Do you see OP immigrating anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search