Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 11:51 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times

Advertisements

I am 25M and I graduated in 2020. I will not give too much detail about myself in case people that know me find this post, but I have a Bachelor's that is not in law. I live on the East Bay and I commute to San Francisco every day. The commute is miserable, also this is my first full-time job out of college and I was never taught on how soul-sucking an 8 to 4:30 job is and I eventually want to get out of working in SF. The commute is getting more miserable after BART shortened their train lengths making the trains more crowded. I really don't see how people commuted from the East Bay to SF every day for their entire adulthood from 20 something to 60 something (retirement age) pre-covid. I work in immigration law and I like the role, but not the concept of going in office every day, the commute, seeing riff raffs on the streets of SF, being on a team where me and one other person does more work than all the people on my team who stare at their phone all day even when it is busy.

I am desperately trying to get out of this job. I am looking for full time jobs locally in the East Bay since remote jobs seem competitive to get right now, but a lot of in person white collared jobs in the Bay Area dried up probably due to remote work and I am trying to avoid SF and Oakland at all costs, as I hate commuting from a less city-like area to a big city, which I don't get how people can do that their whole life. I am from NJ and I want to move back East as I miss the East Coast, but I need a remote job in order for me to move. I don't want to have to hunt for a job after moving.

I have been applying for jobs ever since I joined the firm in 2021. Of course I was not even at the firm for a year yet at 2021, but even though i gained experience by now and have experience at an injury law firm, jobs don't seem to be calling me back. I have a decent resume with cover up-able embellishments and even a few entry level cover up-able lies and not hearing back. The last time I had an interview was in July and before that was October 2022, but only had very few recruiting calls, which the recruiting agencies flaked out on me despite following up. I tried everything including cold messaging people on LinkedIn.

Any techniques on how to get a remote job or even how to get an in person job on the East Bay? I guess the recession is affecting my job search? It's really soul sucking. I spend my time after work job searching and when I have any kind of leisure time on weekends, I feel guilty and I feel like I am losing job hunting time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 07:22 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Telling readers what you do and what your degree is in would be helpful.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:14 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Without any inkling of what you WANT to do that's different from what you do now, what your interests, skills and qualifications are, what you might be willing to retrain for, this is sort of a "how long is a piece of string?" question OP. How could anyone offer any useful suggestions?

So, the commute is a soul suck. So what? Is the work itself OK or not?

Old 09-27-2023, 03:29 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Should be plenty of work in immigration law in El Paso; Tucson; Corpus Christi; Houston; Yuma; well, a bit of time looking at a US map will give you plenty of ideas.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Telling readers what you do and what your degree is in would be helpful.
I am an IT major. I do not want to do anything IT related and plus I have no experience in IT except for an internship that taught me nothing other than messing with network settings in Control Panel. I like the law (any type of law) and I was working as a legal administrative assistant at an injury law firm and I work in immigration law. I do not want to go back to school for anything, but in my future I am thinking of starting a small farm (which sounds fun but more physical) to escape the mess of the white collared world

Old 09-28-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Should be plenty of work in immigration law in El Paso; Tucson; Corpus Christi; Houston; Yuma; well, a bit of time looking at a US map will give you plenty of ideas.
Immigration law is balanced in every major city. Now that's a bummer because I enjoy it, but the problem is the immigration law jobs tend to be in big cities but i am applying for compliance jobs and various types of law (no jd or bar). Immigration law jobs are only a small fraction of all law jobs. I need a job that does not require big city living /big city commuting. I need something full time remote so I can escape the bay area entirely.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Without any inkling of what you WANT to do that's different from what you do now, what your interests, skills and qualifications are, what you might be willing to retrain for, this is sort of a "how long is a piece of string?" question OP. How could anyone offer any useful suggestions?

So, the commute is a soul suck. So what? Is the work itself OK or not?
The work is fun, but I get overworked and have to work unpaid hours because of how busy I get and unpaid because the firm is tight on budget. I have leadership skills, immigration law skills, little injury law exposure, and some compliance and auditing experience.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:51 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Try to find a remote IT job that will allow you to pursue your law interests. Life is going to be much worse if you're up against the wall financially.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:53 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
I lived in San Leandro and used BART to go into the Financial District and never minded the train. I thought it was really easy actually.

Old 09-28-2023, 09:56 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I am an IT major. I do not want to do anything IT related and plus I have no experience in IT except for an internship that taught me nothing other than messing with network settings in Control Panel. I like the law (any type of law) and I was working as a legal administrative assistant at an injury law firm and I work in immigration law. I do not want to go back to school for anything, but in my future I am thinking of starting a small farm (which sounds fun but more physical) to escape the mess of the white collared world
OK, so here we have another poster with a dog's breakfast of skills, experience and desires.

Instead of flailing about with an infinite variety of "maybe I could do this or that or these and those" you need to focus.

First thing I'd do is to accumulate what savings you can and get out of the Bay Area. You're in one of the highest cost of living places in the country.

You need to take some kind of job that can support you, since you don't want to pursue the additional education that's necessary to advance in IT or law. (By the way, secretarial is one of the most dying professions out there, so I wouldn't count on that as a long term deal.)

Unless you have actual farming experience, that sounds like a way to lose what little money you have left real fast.

Like it or not, the most straightforward path these days is to secure educational qualifications that fit you for a career path and get started on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search