Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,523,528 times

Advertisements

With CL I have always used a resume in pdf format with only a cell phone number on the resume. My stock email in response to a cl ad is "Resume attached. Thank you for your consideration. Sincerely, Norcalmom101" followed by whatever contact info I wish to supply, based upon the legitimacy of the ad I'm responding to. Has worked great for me, though sometimes have to be aggressive to be noticed, and my photo and things employers have said are right at the top of my resume. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 03:30 PM

392 posts, read 1,859,118 times
I have advertised for help on CL a few times. There is $25 fee in my area for each category you list in.
I NEVER put the company's name or phone # in the listing. We are to small a place to have a corporate website listing jobs and posting to sites like Career Builder costs $500 and up.
I make it clear in my ad what my expectations are; cover letter, resume and salary expectations. It is amazing how many people can't figure it out! I get no cover letters, cover letters that indicate they are applying for some other position, people with absolutely no experience in anything to do with the position and no explanation of why they are applying for this type of work. Obviously LOTS of people just shot gun all the ads. There is no way I want all these people calling me or, heaven help me, dropping by!!
My daughter has gotten a couple of jobs from CL over the years.
Lots of people apply for them. You need to sell yourself well to stand out in the crowd.
Just giving you the view from the other side of the desk

Old 10-08-2008, 03:46 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
I have advertised for help on CL a few times. There is $25 fee in my area for each category you list in.
I NEVER put the company's name or phone # in the listing. We are to small a place to have a corporate website listing jobs and posting to sites like Career Builder costs $500 and up.
I make it clear in my ad what my expectations are; cover letter, resume and salary expectations. It is amazing how many people can't figure it out! I get no cover letters, cover letters that indicate they are applying for some other position, people with absolutely no experience in anything to do with the position and no explanation of why they are applying for this type of work. Obviously LOTS of people just shot gun all the ads. There is no way I want all these people calling me or, heaven help me, dropping by!!
My daughter has gotten a couple of jobs from CL over the years.
Lots of people apply for them. You need to sell yourself well to stand out in the crowd.
Just giving you the view from the other side of the desk

Thank you for your view. It is very helpful. I need to rework a few things and then I will be back at it.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
With CL I have always used a resume in pdf format with only a cell phone number on the resume. My stock email in response to a cl ad is "Resume attached. Thank you for your consideration. Sincerely, Norcalmom101" followed by whatever contact info I wish to supply, based upon the legitimacy of the ad I'm responding to. Has worked great for me, though sometimes have to be aggressive to be noticed, and my photo and things employers have said are right at the top of my resume. Good luck.
Why do you put a photo on your resume?

Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times
Yeah, not so sure I would do that.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
Just need to add something here.. a bit of a warning;

Be careful with CL jobs with an employer from another state.

I have recently been burned (out of state company I did work for owes me big)...

I know it says "deal locally" and I should have listened. Seemed legit though...

Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM

125 posts, read 509,892 times
"if the Craigslist ad has a gmail address for you to reply to, it is often a scammer"

Thanks for this tip! I've 'googled' some of these @gmail.com addresses and found instances where the same CL ad appears in other states. And, in an area where typical admin jobs pay $ 10.00 per hour, these CL ads are claiming $16-$20 per hour, with no experience necessary!

Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Mod Cut- Please do not quote spammers

Anyways...back on track... my response to Craigslist ads is usually something like: "So how much do you charge again? I'll meet you at the corner of Broad and High - I'll be in a red pickup truck."

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 04-22-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 10:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Holland Willis Jr View Post
I responded to a listing yesterday on CL for job. They sent me a reply to come by a location in town 30mins away and pick up an application.
Needless to say I was very excited being currently unemployed.
When I get to the location I see a note on the door from the building owner saying their rent was due and no personal checks were to be accepted due to bad ones being written. Door was locked. I turned around and got in my truck very disappointed

hahaha...Im sorry, it was not that funny but it made me laugh. That just goes to show what kind of people post employment adds on CL.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,295 times
Default countess bathoria nude

Hello my friends! Who are you!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search