Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times

Advertisements

Hi, too bad, but I have had a lot of time on my hands and have filled out a lot of job applications due to my current employment status. While I have a pending offer for a small part time job (working for an airline, $9 an hour), I'm still searching for something that is easier to live on. Often, I have had to sign papers that say, for example: In connection with my application for employment, I understand that an investigative consumer report may be requested that will include information as to my character, work habits, performance and experience, along woth reasons for termination of past employment.
Anyone out there with HR experience? Just how much do or what can an company , find out about an employee. Isn't there just so much that one can find out? I find it hard to believe for just about all private sector jobs, that employers spend that much money and waste that much time trying to find out if you were fired from, for example, a Burger King in college. The credit check thing in relation to employment (save for maybe banks) is grossly unfair as well.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
It's a lot more expensive for a company to find out the hard way if they've hired a thief, someone convicted of harassment, or something else that is going to potentially cost them money.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,014,209 times
Most companies will not give out inflamatory info. Usually we verify the length of employment and the key question is: would they be eligible for rehire. I understand your frustration with credit checks, but if a potential employee is in a bad financial situation, we may think twice if they are going to be dealing with large amounts of cash. I once worked for this company and they did not call references, etc. 3 months later this personal embezzeled $75,000 - he was very sofisticated. Needless to say, you do need some background checks.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I am in the process of being hired for an exempt position at a large bank and they don't do credit checks anymore. I don't know why. They may call on any references you list and hope they get all the info. they want, but they can't ask if you were fired and your former employer may not say you were if you were. Like Paula said, they may ask if you're rehirable. Keep in mind though, if they say no, though the first thought to them is you were fired, during the interview you can state that you gave less than two weeks notice, etc. (if that's true) which made you unrehirable.
If you're working around money in some way or in people's homes, with their possessions, etc., they may ask if you've ever been bonded as the job may require that kind of protection. And they can do a background on a criminal record.
Just shoot straight and it should work out well.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:55 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
How much can a background check reveal? Pretty much everything but it depends on how indepth the employer wants or needs to go.

Also, there are employers who will not hire you because of your credit rating (even if you are not dealing with money), if you are a smoker or overweight.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:06 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
In order to write the State Board exam to become a RN, you go through criminal record checks and for employment, an additional "hoop" or toilet seat, as it were, a pre-employment drug test. Happy tinkling - and I don't mean bells Access to narcotics, etc I guess.....

Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
I think most if not all companies will do a criminal background check, which is relevant - a company might be reluctant to hire someone with recent drug convictions, violent crime convictions, things of that nature. Credit checks can also be helpful because it is a reflection of how responsible you are (although I also think they're not as good of an indicator). No one will care if you got fired from Burger King in college...but if you lied about it during the interview and the HR person finds out, they would likely not hire you based on the fact that you lied. Employee turnover, hiring and training is very costly to companies, and it is worth spending the money for HR to check these things out, rather than hire someone who is violent, irresponsible, or a liar. As long as you are honest during the interview, you should have nothing to worry about. Best of luck on your job hunt.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:38 PM

155 posts, read 821,443 times
Default background checks vs. credit checks

background checks are looking into non records, credibilty as a citizen as to credit checks - your ss number does not need to be given out on an employment application for credit checks - they may receive it once hired for employment records -
Background checks will tell them if you are a criminal - do they need to know if you are a slow pay or a great payer of bills, absolutely not -
Are they hiring me with my skills, my work ethics or my ss score...

Old 03-27-2007, 08:34 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
I just get baffled by the have you ever been fired from a job question. I would have to guess that 35 to 50 percent to middle aged US adults have been fired from a job at least once. I've run into questionnaires that ask if you have ever been disciplined by an employer, again, same thing. What do they expect? Maybe the right thing to do for final candidates is to do a mimi apprentince, even if it something as simple as:
Bring a change of clothes for your interview, after the interview you'll go out and wash this car.
At least that could show work habits.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Exclamation well-

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Hi, too bad, but I have had a lot of time on my hands and have filled out a lot of job applications due to my current employment status. While I have a pending offer for a small part time job (working for an airline, $9 an hour), I'm still searching for something that is easier to live on. Often, I have had to sign papers that say, for example: In connection with my application for employment, I understand that an investigative consumer report may be requested that will include information as to my character, work habits, performance and experience, along woth reasons for termination of past employment.
Anyone out there with HR experience? Just how much do or what can an company , find out about an employee. Isn't there just so much that one can find out? I find it hard to believe for just about all private sector jobs, that employers spend that much money and waste that much time trying to find out if you were fired from, for example, a Burger King in college. The credit check thing in relation to employment (save for maybe banks) is grossly unfair as well.
Thanks
Basically nothing is private anymore. Lexis/Nexis is what banks/credit cards use to get your credit- see if you have bad debt/equity ratio. We are in a capitalistic country, so "unfair" doesnt apply. These expenses are very low as corps write-off the expense to investigate someones history. Corporations have the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search