Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:25 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times

Advertisements

Do you think your Resume is being ignored?

I got great 5.75 years experience doing CAD, some engineering, and technical writing. I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering. I last worked at NASA on the Space Shuttle, Space Station, and Lunar Lander - at the BEST aerospace company you can work for - Jacobs ESCG.

I am being ignored for jobs by companies and recruiters in Chicago... I'm hurting and wondering why? ... Is it because of my felony or am I being blacklisted too?

How are you doing? Feeling the same as me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
personally, this is the first time over many months that you have mentioned a felony.

my feeling is that you would like some attention....sympathy, etc...

why not just ask a specific question that we can help with, versus tellig us about your great skills and how you are being overlooked.

we all have great skills and are being overlooked...

There must be specific things you want work on or have questions abuot, rather than a general oibervation that employment situation sucks!!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM

893 posts, read 1,579,459 times
Sounds like you may be over selling yourself, which may make you look "over qualified" for many positions. Im sure being a felon does have a little to do with it being that every company ask if you have been convicted of a felony in the last 10 years.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
biggest load of BS in the world is the over qualified tag. What crap company overlooks some one who is more than capable. If their interviewers are worth their salt and everyone know the deal then its a win win situation. Cowards and the insecure trot out the over qualified excuse.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
There is no such thing as 'blacklisting' when you are talking about mid-level engineering work.

The felony is huge. Why hire someone who has a felony and who is a risk to the company when there is an equally qualified person without a record?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

I got great 5.75 years experience doing CAD, some engineering, and technical writing. I graduated from the 6th best college in the nation for Mechanical Engineering. I last worked at NASA on the Space Shuttle, Space Station, and Lunar Lander - at the BEST aerospace company you can work for - Jacobs ESCG.

I am being ignored for jobs by companies and recruiters in Chicago... I'm hurting and wondering why? ... Is it because of my felony or am I being blacklisted too?

I think it's that yellow dress you wear.... Maybe you need to try red....

Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 AM

43 posts, read 84,776 times
Um...yes of course it's the felony. I would never hire someone with a felony conviction. Ever.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
In Texas people can get a felony for writing graffiti on a wall. Not everyone deserves to lose a job or apt because of a felony.

I applied to the IL Gov to pardon my felony.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:17 PM

172 posts, read 418,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post

You could be the top of your class at Harvard and have the past three presidents as references, but if one thing is off, you won't get hired.

I couldn't help to look at your public profile. This isn't meant to be mean or closed minded, I'm a very open minded person, but do you dress as you do in your picture to your interviews?

A felony might prevent you from getting a job but I think most companies wait until a few interviews before they screen, it's an expense.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
I don't think my resume is being ignored ... just used as paper to roll something that folks like to smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search