Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,362,465 times

Advertisements

I've re-done my resume (per suggestions from this board) with help from a friend who has a masters in Tech writing. I tweek it for each job and add a cover letter etc.

I've recently applied for several jobs that I had all of the qualifications for, is appropriate to ask HR or department heads why I wasn't even considered for an interview?

I'm so frustrated and I would like to get some feedback as to why I'm not even considered for an interview for positions I'm qualified for.

Keep in mind I live in a small community and many times it's not what you know but who you know, but I'd sure like to know why I'm not even getting my foot in the door so I can fix it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
It could be that they already have an internal candidate, but company policy is that they interview at least two external candidates.

It could be that you are qualified, but others are more qualified.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:24 AM

But is it ok to call HR or the dept. head to find out why I didn't at least get an interview? I'm concerned because I haven't even gotten an interview for over 6 months and I only apply to jobs that I would be qualified to do. I would like some feedback.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
I don't think it would be in good form to ask why you haven't gotten an interview. It puts the hiring people in an uncomfortable position, and most probably would give a stock response (we have been inundated with quality applications, etc.) or just wouldn't respond at all.

It might be better to make contact with people who are not necessarily hiring at the moment, but might be willing to talk with you about how to break into the field. That shows initiative that they might remember when they do eventually hire again.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
There are just too many people for the jobs. I have the same problem. If you do any sort of administrative work, it seems everyone is trying to get into 'a steady office job.'

So you have clerks, recent grads, anyone trying for these jobs. If you have too much experience, they pass you over for someone they can push around for the lowest salary possible.

I'm noticing as a 2 year transplant to this area that they hire local people over 'anyone else' though no one will admit it.

I went to last week's interview professionally dressed with my credentials. The person after me was shabbily dressed in a t-shirt and jeans. I know I brought my "A" game though I am over qualified for the job. I was able to thoughtfully answer all questions because I have a lot of experience in this field, though it is 'just a starting position."

The week before I interviewed for a similar position was told some "BS" about someone else "meshing better..." (local speak for 'we hire our own...') Both of these jobs are not in administration, but in Education. I asked the hiring person "was I not qualified?" and he said, yes, of course, you have no lack in the qualifications...

I think the person 'must have known someone' and was hired over me...(how these jobs work...)

At this point I am so frustrated. I have no clue what anyone wants...I feel like if I can't get something I am 100% qualified and educated to do, I have to get out of here...

Our plan is to move if I don't get a job soon. I can't stay here playing guessing games with people who want 'cheap, local labor.'

Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 AM

My guess is that they won't talk to go or give you any reason. That could open them up to a world of litigation, even if it's frivilous.

A recruiter on the other hand will give you constructive feedback. Have you spoken any of them?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It could be that they already have an internal candidate, but company policy is that they interview at least two external candidates.

It could be that you are qualified, but others are more qualified.
Yep, it has happened to me many times. I do have the skill and the drive to do the job, and so does 60-200 people ahead of me, therefore they hire someone internally and leave me in the dust for the wolves.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:24 AM

Well I agree that the market is inudated but I read on this board that people are at least getting interviews and I'm not.

I've lived in GA for over 25 years and in this community for 10 years. I was not born and raised in the south but I do have plenty of southern roots...my fathers mothers ancestors are buried in GA, AL and TN.

I'm also a triple minority...female, older and native american...I do know that companies still have quotas so you'd think they'd be happy to hire me so they could check off a few minority points.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I didn't want to think it but I thing ageism is coming into play for a lot of us.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM

I keep hearing about ageism, but frankly I'm not seeing it. The company I work for now has an average age in the mid-40's. The prior company had an average age in the department I was in in the early-50's. Prior to that over 15% of the workforce had been with the company over 25 years. (Do the math.)

I'm not saying it doesn't it exist, but I don't believe it exists in the rampant numbers that many believe it does. I think there are often other factors at work, anything from the good ol' boy network to only being able to offer limited hours to industries that want full availability to wanting a lot more than the going rate for the field you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search