Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,659 times

Advertisements

When I was younger I used to have the energy and ambition to do this. I always thought...maybe they'll have another position and they'll pass my resume on for that or...I would never hire a person who didn't take the time to phone about the job and be persistent.

I guess I was young, energetic, still believed that if I just worked hard I'd climb the ranks, etc. etc. I'd be better served with that attitude now but I've spent too many years watching butt kissers and total incompetents rise up the ladder while I was just a hard worker who never played the game, never got promoted (for the most part) and abhorred corporate politics. I digress.

Anyway, these days have changed. So, do you go on interviews even if you don't want the job to "hone" your interviewing skills? Are you applying for jobs you don't want just to have a job? I think at times to get the wrong job is worse than to have no job, as it just means bad performance reviews too often if one really isn't suited for the job. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
I'd say I would go on 90% of the interviews I am offered. The only ones I would not go on are if they tell me straight out we need you to work nights or past 4 pm. I can't now due to family commitments.

I don't particularly want to go on temp interviews (but I would!) because I want a real, full time, normal job. Temp jobs do sometimes turn full time but a lot of time they are just fillers or 'carrots on sticks.'

Old 09-25-2009, 10:26 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
I had a colleague who grew up in Chicago. In winter, he would apply for jobs in sunny, warm Florida simply to get a free trip there - no intention of working there.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

499 posts, read 1,528,153 times
Went to one this morning...it was a disaster...

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are just desperate. It shows when you don't really want the job. I was brow beaten by an engineer and given sarcastic comments by the maintenance manager. Because I really had no intention of keeping the job if I was to get it, I really didn't prepapre enough for the interview and it showed and they jumped all over me!

I have been out of work for quite some time and some of the skills I had listed on my resume have been things that I have not used in a while and, lo & behold, those are the things the interviewer hit me on hardest!

Word to the wise: Always be prepared to explain your level of skill and experience with every thing listed on your resume!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:20 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post

Word to the wise: Always be prepared to explain your level of skill and experience with every thing listed on your resume!
That's good advice and I'll bet I'd get slammed too if an interviewer asked me about everything on my resume.

Some stuff still on my resume:

Orcad
Magic VLSI
VAX/VMS
Dataprobe
Mentor Graphics
Ada

I should probably dump some of things from my resume but some of them are so old and obsolete, who would ask anyway?

Old 09-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'd say I would go on 90% of the interviews I am offered. The only ones I would not go on are if they tell me straight out we need you to work nights or past 4 pm. I can't now due to family commitments.

I don't particularly want to go on temp interviews (but I would!) because I want a real, full time, normal job. Temp jobs do sometimes turn full time but a lot of time they are just fillers or 'carrots on sticks.'
Well, I did go to a presentation this morning for a job I know/knew I did not want, but at least I have some business cards now and the guy did say if we weren't interested in his job he'd pass our resume onto another area. Plus, he loves hiring boomers so that was encouraging.

Say, aren't you getting ready to get outta dodge soon? Hope all is going well with that.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Went to one this morning...it was a disaster...

I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you are just desperate. It shows when you don't really want the job. I was brow beaten by an engineer and given sarcastic comments by the maintenance manager. Because I really had no intention of keeping the job if I was to get it, I really didn't prepapre enough for the interview and it showed and they jumped all over me!

I have been out of work for quite some time and some of the skills I had listed on my resume have been things that I have not used in a while and, lo & behold, those are the things the interviewer hit me on hardest!

Yes, there is a LOT on my resume I wouldn't be prepared to dig deep into (as I've forgotten a lot) so it is a word to the wise. Sorry it was such a disaster! But at least you know what to do now (or not to do).

Old 09-25-2009, 01:48 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Are you applying for jobs you don't want just to have a job?
Yes. In some ways, I don't want to work at all--I'm not going to like ANYTHING that I have to do. So any job would be a job I "didn't want".
Still, you have to bring in money somehow. And working is good for your character. Hopefully, I'm applying for positions I'm good at, and can show competence in from the jump.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:21 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, I did go to a presentation this morning for a job I know/knew I did not want, but at least I have some business cards now and the guy did say if we weren't interested in his job he'd pass our resume onto another area. Plus, he loves hiring boomers so that was encouraging.

Say, aren't you getting ready to get outta dodge soon? Hope all is going well with that.
Not until February when the lease is up. We're still trying to hang in here so we don't have to move our son out of school.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Not until February when the lease is up. We're still trying to hang in here so we don't have to move our son out of school.
I see. Well, Feb will be here before you know it.

I guess I am seeing some value now in going on job interviews even when the job in question isn't wanted, as a person can always act like they want the interview pre-interview, get to know the recruiter, make a good impression and then inquire about other opportunities. Just me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search