Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

First off, I have NEVER lived in such a screwed up area.

Today I had a job interview. Well, the woman called me last week and I asked first off (like I always do) what are the hours of the job? She said 8-4 which would be ideal. She even said "Do those hours work for you?" I said great and made an appointment.

Today I get there and make small talk with her and the person I would be replacing. I state again that the hours would be great since my husband works nights and I have no child care worries during the day.

The interview goes on and I find out she lied to me. She says I can work 8-4 three days a week, but the other 2 I have to open (6:30 am one day) and close the other (till 6:30 pm).

I was livid. She never mentioned this on the phone. I said to her I told you I can't work other hours because I have family commitments. The person I'd be replacing tries to talk me into the great schedule. I say I can't do it. I explained it to you.

The interview stopped and I left.

What a waste of my time, energy, effort.

Let me add it was POURING down with rain today. I wasted my time and gas.

Gods of job karma do not like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
Can your husband make arrangements with his job on these 2 days to accomodate your schedule?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,056,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Can your husband make arrangements with his job on these 2 days to accomodate your schedule?
I think it's too late since she walked out on the job interview.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I think it's too late since she walked out on the job interview.
No, they dismissed me.
My husband has to work his hours as he is the only one in his dept.

I think you are missing the point...they lied to me. They are so unprofessional! I try to be professional and ASK as not to waste anyone's time what the general hours are at a job.

This is just really bush league, unprofessional. I think they were very wrong to have me come in and they knew my situation. Doesn't anyone else think this is wrong?? I bet if it happened to some of you, you'd be just as angry.

I repeat my mantra that if they treat you badly in an interview, then you wouldn't want to work for them.

Where are the NORMAL jobs with NORMAL people running the organizations? I do not like liars. Lies of omission=lies.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:31 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times
I agree about being treated badly at an interview or during the hiring process. You don't want to work for an employer like that.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:32 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,596,920 times
[quote=GypsySoul22;11083186
Where are the NORMAL jobs with NORMAL people running the organizations? I do not like liars. Lies of omission=lies.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you found out before you took it. It's infuriating to be lied to in an interview. I was completely lied to in my interview and am now experiencing the exact opposite of what I was told so I feel your pain! Hope you get something soon!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM

17 posts, read 61,314 times
I think you did the right thing. I hate bait and switch techniques, under any circumstances.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,949 times
I know you did the right thing. (See my post under "Who Will Get the Call" this morning). I'm sorry you had to waste your gas, time and interview clothes on them.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I know you did the right thing. (See my post under "Who Will Get the Call" this morning). I'm sorry you had to waste your gas, time and interview clothes on them.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I don't want to come off in this thread like some bitchy diva, because I am not. I just feel like I am honest about what hours I can work. I also would expect a place interviewing me to do the same.

I realize there is always some investment in a job interview and that you may not get the job despite using your gas, time, and so on, but when they blatantly 'lie.'

Well, live and learn. Tomorrow is another day, Scarlett O'Haras of the job seeking world.

Hubby was VERY sympathetic. He said it's their loss.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:50 AM

220 posts, read 991,254 times
The Container Store offers a shift called "family friendly" which is from 9am-2pm - specifically for school drop off's and pick ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search