Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times

Advertisements

Did Trina Thompson accept the job offer from The Ski Channel? If not, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 06:51 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchs View Post
As it turns out, though, apparently the school where she graduated made certain written guarantees regarding job placement that they did not follow through on. Given that, her lawsuit seems meritorious.
What were they?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:44 PM

60 posts, read 289,695 times
I don't have the article in front of me but if I recall correctly the school had made certain promises regarding placement assistance and guaranteed that she would find better employment as a result of receiving her degree from their institution. They apparently did not provide any placement assistance at all nor was she able to find employment. I believe it was one of those online schools that she is suing and their guarantees did stand out as being different than the normal schpeel to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What were they?

Old 08-23-2009, 08:45 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
Quote:
I don't have the article in front of me but if I recall correctly the school had made certain promises regarding placement assistance and guaranteed that she would find better employment as a result of receiving her degree from their institution. They apparently did not provide any placement assistance at all nor was she able to find employment. I believe it was one of those online schools that she is suing and their guarantees did stand out as being different than the normal schpeel to me.
That's not what I read. The school provided normal career development assistance. Ms. Thompson was just upset that no employer had wanted to hire her after screening her out for her 2.7 GPA and her inability to communicate well (her lawsuit is handwritten and she can't spell at all). The school can't force employers to accept a mediocre candidate.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
That's not what I read. The school provided normal career development assistance. Ms. Thompson was just upset that no employer had wanted to hire her after screening her out for her 2.7 GPA and her inability to communicate well (her lawsuit is handwritten and she can't spell at all). The school can't force employers to accept a mediocre candidate.
DING DING DING DING!!!

Trina (and some of the posters on this forum) reminds me of the soccer league my friend put her young son into for one season. Everyone was a winner, no score was kept, and at the end of each game everyone won a ribbon and went home a happy camper. Ah, there were no rules really of the game either.

My friend took her kid out-- and he was even confused (this is a little boy who has done horse shows from a young age and even if all little kids received a participation ribbon there were still first place, second place winners-- not to mention he grew up watching his brother play football in school) about why no one "won" the game.

Life is not a participation ribbon winning event. There is competition NO matter what you do in life. Just because you managed to graduate with a Bachelors from a low tier school with a lower GPA-- there are no guarantees that school will be able to help place you into a job. There are people (on this forum too) who have managed to make higher grades from higher ranked institutions and they are struggling to find a job.

At the end of the day, I kind of understood what the soccer league was trying to do. I personally do not like overzealous parents who think winning above else is all too important, but at the same time trying to tell kids that everyone is a winner and no one can lose at life is just as backwards as trying to prove only the winners will ever be succesful. There is a lot in between these two extremes.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:53 AM

15 posts, read 33,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
*laughs* I am NOT threatened by others with a college education. I am just pragmatic. I graduated college and I am currently working on two masters while studying for the LSAT (one I am trying to complete the pre-reqs for admission and the other I am a fully admitted student).....

Undergraduate education has been cheapened. Anyone with a pulse and enough money (whether that money is from financial aid, a grant, or their own cash) can attend college. So many are attending college that an undergraduate degree is now becoming the new high school education.

My point is that if you graduate with a college degree and you can not construct a proper English sentence...

I worked with an employee who was in this same predicament. She graduated with a masters level degree from a for profit school. Her language, both verbal and written, is horrific. In my line of work, no one can put her in front of a client in an upper level job. She sounds ignorant...

ACCOUNTABILITY...
WOW you are a vague poster and quite a condescending one. Working on 2 masters? Devry doesn't count. Are you a manager at a real estate firm? Did you hire someone who graduated with a masters' in basketweaving?

Yes I agree with the vocational schools. I uphold a lot of respect for people who want to do make something of themselves in a field that serves an actual purpose to society (when in reality should be making people money- not grand theft like what this stupid Congress and administration is doing). If someone wants to be an electrician? People need electricians.

However you are obviously poor at English and comprehensive skills yourself for a "college grad" (which I do not believe). Your post holds no facts or information, it's just bias.

I have family members who were first generation immigrants who went from rags to riches by getting a degree in a scientific field. I only wish I was able to do that. They worked incredibly hard for it and deserve every penny they make, which is quite a bit. The trouble is that our lacking public education system doesn't expose students enough to the outside world to where they can begin to set life goals and find an interest in, well anything outside of themselves. I went to school purposely seeking a direction as to what career I wanted to pursue, and I found it. It was much harder than the major I thought I wanted.

My friends in college are all either successful in their chosen fields because they're competant; the others just needed that "worthless piece of paper" in order to pursue a career of their choice, such as teaching.

You also miss the point that college or just your education is one of the only objective measures of what your skillsets are. And i'm referring to a real school. Sorry, I'd take a degree from Iowa State much more seriously than one from Phoenix U or a Jr. college. I would take a candidate from Iowa State, the Naval Academy, Boston College or Rutgers more seriously than one from Harvard, Stanford or USC. Through coworkers and peers, it's known what type of worker you're going to get because we're aware of the standards they uphold students to in order to graduate. But then again, you don't know that unless you work with college grads or if you didn't go to college yourself.

BTW, managers are a dime a dozen. It's too obvious that most managers get their job by "knowing somebody"; not by having any sort of education or even the basic knowledge of what their subordinates do. My 1st manager out of college did nothing to prove himself in an intense work environment. His subordinates such as myself had to earn the credentials before he did. And no he didn't have people skills. He just sat there and dwadled on Yahoo or beefed about football instead of acting like a competant leader.

We knew exactly who was talent and who wasn't. He got the money, he didn't get the respect. It's like hiring an NFL coach who without training or experience in the game. Sure he gets the money but his team fails and the fans hate him.

Knowledge is a valuable tool. You just proved that you can't evaluate or recognize it. I'm sorry to you and those you manage. BTW, LSAT is a lot easier than getting an SAT. I hope your doctor passed organic chem and microbiology before he treats whatever is bugging you, because according to you that knowledge is worthless.

Last edited by imasurvivor2009; 08-26-2009 at 01:03 AM..

Old 08-26-2009, 03:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:

They aren't an online school, they are brinck and mortar. Go look at their web site, the placement assistance they offer is spelled out very clearly. They make no guarnatees about anything except for help writing a resume.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
These kids need to wake up and smell the coffee! For some reason they think the world owes them a job. You have to live in the real world and deal with the recession and other setbacks. Three months is nothing and she is a spoiled brat.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
These kids need to wake up and smell the coffee! For some reason they think the world owes them a job. You have to live in the real world and deal with the recession and other setbacks. Three months is nothing and she is a spoiled brat.

You get out of college what you put in. Their job is to present the information and give students access to some companies for interviews. Actually learning the material and getting the job are up to the students.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Just because you have a 2.7 GPA does not mean you cannot find a job. My GPA in college was 2.75, but I had a 3.75 in English, and I am smart. Your GPA does not truly represent exactly who you are as a potential employee for a specific position. A high GPA is good, but there are more traits and qualities you will need for a particular job, such as a particular personality trait, reliability, some experience and a positive attitude. I realize we are in a recession and job hunting is difficult, but today's graduates need to realize that in the real world, your GPA and school name are relatively unimportant. There are many people with degrees who cannot find jobs. Education is extremely important, but a GPA and a degree will not get you a job. I had to learn this too, as I am sure you will. I have held very good jobs and it had nothing to do with my GPA. I received a GED and did not finish my last year of High School, but did eventually graduate from College. The world is not black and white. There are too many variables. It is difficult for younger people to realize this when they graduate, as many have this ideal they hold onto about what type of job they will get. It is a cruel employment world out there! I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search