Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm just going on a post to take a short break from the general depression of this forum. Do you follow any superstitions related to your job search? Well, I do and here are some of the things I would do or not do when I go for an interview.

I would only wear my lucky suit(s). Assuming they still fit me , I would only wear the suits that actually landed me a job in the past. If they don't fit or they are dated, I would buy a new suit, I mean a really new one, not from a consighment store. I actually have a very good suit that landed me the job I relocated for. But considering I hated that job and quit after six months, I consider that suit bad luck. I would never wear that suit to a job interview ever again, but would wear it on the job after I get hired.

When everything else is difficult, many people turn to a higher being. That includes me. I always have a rosary (I'm Catholic) in my pocket when I interview. So far it hasn't failed me.

Late in 2006, I gave my husband a money tree plant for Christmas. I have heard about the good financial fortune it brings. When I ordered it, the vendor made a mistake and shipped 2, but the other was smaller and rather on the puny side. It may be pure coincidence but at any time we suffer a financial set back (clients leaving, me losing a job), one or the other tree will start having its leaves fall off. It's the tree whose "owner" is affected. When things pick up, the tree(s) suddenly start to flourish, and all this without any changes to the location of the tree or our care routine. We've put such weight on these trees being a harbinger of good fortune (or bad) that we take all measures to keep these plants alive and thriving. I'm usually good with plants but I'm not too good with indoor ones. To have these plants survive my household for 3 years and counting is a miracle.

So, do you folks have any special practices you do or avoid as either bringing good luck or bad when looking for a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post

When everything else is difficult, many people turn to a higher being. That includes me. I always have a rosary (I'm Catholic) in my pocket when I interview. So far it hasn't failed me.
Probably hasn't done any good either.
When a man is freed of religion, he has a better chance to live a normal and wholesome life. – Sigmund Freud

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Yeah, I agree with Charles. I always avoid relying on religion as a safety net. "God" has always disappointed me.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think whatever helps a person feel stronger and more confident is a good thing. However, I think superstition/religion tends to draw a cause-effect thing that isn't real, and therefore could discourage someone ("no one answered my prayers") and so on.
I think if people pray for a general good "to be strong" "to represent myself in my god-given best," then it could be a help. If it's prayer to get the job, what does one think when you don't get it?
As for superstition (a short jump from religion, in my world) people tend to flatten their memories into seeing cause and effect- remembering the time the lucky shoes/suit/bus route ended positively, and forgetting the times they didn't.
I'd say anything that helps put a lift in your step and a calmness in you in these tough times is a plus. Just don't fall into cause and effect and feel failed if the results aren't what you hoped for.
Humble opinion, and all that, from this atheist.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:03 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
this is a interesting topic...it really is...

I was thinking about starting a thread along similuar lines....

For instance...how many people are troubled when a 'black cat' crosses their path while driving or walking?...or any cat?

Or how many people are troubled when they break a mirror?....7 years bad luck right?

Or walking under a ladder?

I mean how many of us carry around these little superstitions that effect our daily lives?

My fther was superstitious against cats...if we were driving in the car, and a cat, any cat, crossed the road infront of us...he would get upset and divert, turn around, go around the whole block, to avoid where the cat had crossed....

I ignored that for years....but I notice as of lately...when I start my drive...and if a cat runs across my path...I scringe slightly....and I think to myself 'what if my fther was right'.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
I have lucky jewelry--a jade pendant and some garnet earrings (not together, they don't match).

For everything else, I am practical--clothes that I both look good and feel comfortable in, practical shoes, etc.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Okay, I'm just going on a post to take a short break from the general depression of this forum. Do you follow any superstitions related to your job search? Well, I do and here are some of the things I would do or not do when I go for an interview.

I would only wear my lucky suit(s). Assuming they still fit me , I would only wear the suits that actually landed me a job in the past. If they don't fit or they are dated, I would buy a new suit, I mean a really new one, not from a consighment store. I actually have a very good suit that landed me the job I relocated for. But considering I hated that job and quit after six months, I consider that suit bad luck. I would never wear that suit to a job interview ever again, but would wear it on the job after I get hired.

Late in 2006, I gave my husband a money tree plant for Christmas. I have heard about the good financial fortune it brings. When I ordered it, the vendor made a mistake and shipped 2, but the other was smaller and rather on the puny side. It may be pure coincidence but at any time we suffer a financial set back (clients leaving, me losing a job), one or the other tree will start having its leaves fall off. It's the tree whose "owner" is affected. When things pick up, the tree(s) suddenly start to flourish, and all this without any changes to the location of the tree or our care routine. We've put such weight on these trees being a harbinger of good fortune (or bad) that we take all measures to keep these plants alive and thriving. I'm usually good with plants but I'm not too good with indoor ones. To have these plants survive my household for 3 years and counting is a miracle.

So, do you folks have any special practices you do or avoid as either bringing good luck or bad when looking for a job?

I felt that the only way to get a call from a employer was to turn off the ringer and cover the caller id screen so I won't know who was calling-lol That was my silly superstition

Old 01-31-2016, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,023 times
My superstition is to pray to God he's always there to listen and guide you through a good path. If you don't get the job don't get discouraged. It's because God has a better job planned out for you. Believe in God allow him to be your mighty savor he does good deed God bless you all.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:42 AM

684 posts, read 713,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagongBuhay View Post

Having a scientific mind I do not believe in luck(that much) or Superstition. I translate Luck into statistical probability. So to get better "luck" one should manipulate the odds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search