Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times

Advertisements

Found on craigslist today:

Experienced Landscape Person Wanted

Workshop is in Monroe and work performed is in Bellevue.

Candidates must be able to pass an extensive background check prior to hiring.
Applicants must not have a criminal/arrest history and have no derogatory credit issues.
Applicants must be a U. S. citizen.

$17.50 per hour
Call:

------
No derogatory credit issues???

Half of the known world is teetering on the brink of insolvency, but you dear job candidate, had better have a pristine credit report if you want to cut grass for this company.

Madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 04:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Depending on the exact type of work they are doing or places they are working they might have to be bonded, so that could be a requirement of the bonding company.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I heard something yesterday while cooking dinner (so I was half listening) that some credit card companies are becoming more strict about what you should charge (I believe it was about how much credit they will extend to you in the future). Or it could have been job related...

They were saying don't charge things like 'marriage counseling' or 'alcohol.'

I wonder what sort of world this is now where 'what you charge' is going to affect your ability to be hired.

So you need excellent credit to get a job or more credit?

People NEED jobs to pay off bills...

What a crazy cycle.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I heard something yesterday while cooking dinner (so I was half listening) that some credit card companies are becoming more strict about what you should charge (I believe it was about how much credit they will extend to you in the future). Or it could have been job related...

They were saying don't charge things like 'marriage counseling' or 'alcohol.'

I wonder what sort of world this is now where 'what you charge' is going to affect your ability to be hired.

So you need excellent credit to get a job or more credit?

People NEED jobs to pay off bills...

What a crazy cycle.
I've been adding to my wine collection and paying for it with my credit card for years with no problem and have gotten my limits raised without asking even in the past year or so. I do pay the bill off in full every month, and don't charge anything I don't have the cash in the bank to cover.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times
I don't get the big deal. The economy isn't good, employers can be picky. They don't owe it to society to give everyone jobs.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
I asked about this once at a place where I had thought about applying. If you have bad credit, and there is a chance of a garnishment against your pay, they don't want you.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:10 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Found on craigslist today:

Experienced Landscape Person Wanted

Workshop is in Monroe and work performed is in Bellevue.

Candidates must be able to pass an extensive background check prior to hiring.
Applicants must not have a criminal/arrest history and have no derogatory credit issues.
Applicants must be a U. S. citizen.

$17.50 per hour
Call:

------
No derogatory credit issues???

Half of the known world is teetering on the brink of insolvency, but you dear job candidate, had better have a pristine credit report if you want to cut grass for this company.

Madness.
Company's employees may all need to be bonded. I work in the financial services arena and all of our employees are bonded-- and they all require a certain type of credit report (i.e. you are allowed a threshold of bad debt but once you surpass that-- you are not considered and can't be employed). This applies for ANYONE in the company even the very low level mail room folks.

And honestly, no matter how bad the economy is-- there are tons of people who regardless of their financial situation do not have bad credit. It is mainly because those folks never got themselves into a situation where they couldn't pay their bills (i.e. they didn't charge purchases and buy on credit, etc). In many cases, I will give you that these people also did not have some catastrophic event such as a massive medical issue-- but I will say the subset of my friends who do have poor credit did not have disastarous medical issues either. It was more like still getting premium cable, high cell phones, shopping, traveling that did them in with their credit issues.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:11 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,638,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I asked about this once at a place where I had thought about applying. If you have bad credit, and there is a chance of a garnishment against your pay, they don't want you.
I could see that-- but garnishments are also done for tax levies and child support or spousal support.

I will say this-- garnishments to administrate are a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain and VERY costly to the employer.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheduns View Post
I will say this-- garnishments to administrate are a HUGE HUGE HUGE pain and VERY costly to the employer.
Absolutely. At my last job we had a ton of people with child support garnishments, and they seemed to be constantly changing. Our payroll guy spent at minimum a few hours a week entering new/removing old garnishments into the system--for a company with about 250 employees. It became a real problem when there were conflicting garnishments from multiple jurisdictions or the garnishments were more than the paycheck and payroll had to contact the issuing jurisdiction for assistance. That's a lot of labor expense when you break it down into annual payroll dollars.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I've been adding to my wine collection and paying for it with my credit card for years with no problem and have gotten my limits raised without asking even in the past year or so. I do pay the bill off in full every month, and don't charge anything I don't have the cash in the bank to cover.
I know. I didn't understand the problem when I listened to the show. It seems weird. But, then again, maybe these people aren't paying it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search