Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 02:13 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times

Advertisements

Every year for Thanksgiving and during the winter, Nan would make Escarole soup or Italian Wedding Soup. I looked forward to it every holiday.

Well, since I've gone Kosher and I have to eat gluten-free, I decided to make my own rendition of Escarole Soup.

Non-kosher: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1915916

Kosher: https://jamiegeller.com/recipes/italian-wedding-soup/

I used a combination of these two. Nan was Italian and used the non kosher. I used the kosher for the meat balls (but GF breadcrumbs). Then I used escarole for the greens. Didn't use the cheese or egg strand at all since that's not kosher. Nan also didn't put pasta in the soup, like Giada doesn't. I think the pasta is an American thing.

I can't wait to have this on Friday! I thought I'd share because some of you might be interested.
Attached Thumbnails
The "Jewish Foodie" thread-pxl_20201222_165416414.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 03:45 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Every year for Thanksgiving and during the winter, Nan would make Escarole soup or Italian Wedding Soup. I looked forward to it every holiday.

Well, since I've gone Kosher and I have to eat gluten-free, I decided to make my own rendition of Escarole Soup.

I used a combination of these two. Nan was Italian and used the non kosher. I used the kosher for the meat balls (but GF breadcrumbs). Then I used escarole for the greens. Didn't use the cheese or egg strand at all since that's not kosher. Nan also didn't put pasta in the soup, like Giada doesn't. I think the pasta is an American thing.

I can't wait to have this on Friday! I thought I'd share because some of you might be interested.
Looks delicious...

Old 12-22-2020, 04:20 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,906 times
Quote:

you can use egg strands in a meat soup.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
you can use egg strands in a meat soup.
I'll admit, I don't eat egg unless it's mixed in something. I was born lactose intolerant and often associate egg (not mixed) with dairy. Odd, I know.

Mom usually mixes Locatelli, which is lamb milk cheese, into the egg and puts the strands in. I can tolerate lamb and goat milk, it's just the cow's milk that gives me issues. If I remember correctly, Nan used to dip the escarole into the Locatelli/egg mixture and cooked it that way.

In the Jewish Exponent, some Mexican dishes that they make Kosher, they use vegan cheeses with the meat. Next time I make this, I could try it, but I'll admit that vegan cheeze makes me nervous. I can't have soy (thyroid medicine... soy renders it ineffective) and while there are nut based cheezes, I'm not sure how it would taste. Although, GF and vegan mac and cheeze is pretty good.

I just garnished it with salt and pepper. On Christmas day, maybe I'll garnish it with parsley. Mom is making a prime rib with horseradish, roasted potatoes, and corn. It'll be a day for family.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
I'll admit, I don't eat egg unless it's mixed in something. I was born lactose intolerant and often associate egg (not mixed) with dairy. Odd, I know.

Mom usually mixes Locatelli, which is lamb milk cheese, into the egg and puts the strands in. I can tolerate lamb and goat milk, it's just the cow's milk that gives me issues. If I remember correctly, Nan used to dip the escarole into the Locatelli/egg mixture and cooked it that way.

In the Jewish Exponent, some Mexican dishes that they make Kosher, they use vegan cheeses with the meat. Next time I make this, I could try it, but I'll admit that vegan cheeze makes me nervous. I can't have soy (thyroid medicine... soy renders it ineffective) and while there are nut based cheezes, I'm not sure how it would taste. Although, GF and vegan mac and cheeze is pretty good.

I just garnished it with salt and pepper. On Christmas day, maybe I'll garnish it with parsley. Mom is making a prime rib with horseradish, roasted potatoes, and corn. It'll be a day for family.
I was more commenting on the statement that you "Didn't use the cheese or egg strand at all since that's not kosher". Using eggs in meat soup IS kosher.

In terms of fake cheeses, I recommend this site

https://daiyafoods.com/our-foods/shr...ring%20mineral).

the ingredients don't mention soy (at least to my uninformed eyes):

Filtered water, tapioca flour, expeller pressed non-GMO canola and/or safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavours, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (vegan, for flavour), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).

Old 12-22-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I was more commenting on the statement that you "Didn't use the cheese or egg strand at all since that's not kosher". Using eggs in meat soup IS kosher.

In terms of fake cheeses, I recommend this site

https://daiyafoods.com/our-foods/shr...ring%20mineral).

the ingredients don't mention soy (at least to my uninformed eyes):

Filtered water, tapioca flour, expeller pressed non-GMO canola and/or safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavours, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (vegan, for flavour), titanium dioxide (a naturally occurring mineral).
Daiya! Yum! Their Cheezecake and GF vegan ice cream sandwiches are awesome.

I'll have to order the mozzarella and chop it up for the grated effect.

So, are eggs considered meat? Could eggs and dairy mix if there wasn't beef or chicken or lamb present?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Daiya! Yum! Their Cheezecake and GF vegan ice cream sandwiches are awesome.

I'll have to order the mozzarella and chop it up for the grated effect.

So, are eggs considered meat? Could eggs and dairy mix if there wasn't beef or chicken or lamb present?
I used the mozzarella shreds (had some tonight). I like them better than the other flavors I have tried.

Eggs are parve and can be used/eaten with either meat or milk.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ggs-Pareve.htm

Old 12-22-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I used the mozzarella shreds (had some tonight). I like them better than the other flavors I have tried.

Eggs are parve and can be used/eaten with either meat or milk.

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...ggs-Pareve.htm
Thank you.

Do you know if Daiya sells blocks that I can grate into finer shreds?

Old 12-23-2020, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

Do you know if Daiya sells blocks that I can grate into finer shreds?
I haven't seen anything sold as blocks. I recommend going to the website and seeing if they list all the products.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen anything sold as blocks. I recommend going to the website and seeing if they list all the products.
They do on their site, but it's limited in flavours. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism