Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:30 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Has anybody had potlagel? I remember my grandmother saying that it was a roasted eggplant spread her mother made for her Romanian (or, perhaps I should say, Roumanian) born father.

I've been meaning to try it. Apparently, Man Ray (née Emmanual Radnitzky) had a family recipe. It sounds quite good, like an Eastern European baba ganoush.
I am unfamiliar, but I found this discussion.

Quote:
I'm also curious about mock chopped liver. I recall one of the recipes in the Ratner's cookbook (there are a few) looking tasty.
Mock liver is useful for people trying to stay away from meat, or organ meat. I have had some that are ok -- if you add hard boiled eggs and fried onions, whatever you mix with it will be delicious. The other main ingredient might be egg plant, or green beans. I found one that was cashews but I'm allergic to cashews.

Quote:
If only there were still a deli-type kosher dairy restaurant in Philadelphia! I like the kosher-style fare just fine--I enjoy having a sweet noodle kugel and brisket and kasha varnishkes at the same meal (no offense intended to the kashrut-observant)--but I think I'd appreciate the unique dishes and experience that come with the territory.
A deli usually serves meat food so you won't find a dairy version generally.

but noodle kugel does not need to be dairy, so it is often served with meat (same with kasha varnishkes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 01:22 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I am unfamiliar, but I found this discussion.

Mock liver is useful for people trying to stay away from meat, or organ meat. I have had some that are ok -- if you add hard boiled eggs and fried onions, whatever you mix with it will be delicious. The other main ingredient might be egg plant, or green beans. I found one that was cashews but I'm allergic to cashews.

but noodle kugel does not need to be dairy, so it is often served with meat (same with kasha varnishkes).
Bens' is meat-kosher, as well, but I can recommend an absolutely excellent dairy/parve kosher restaurant in NYC. It's called My Most Favorite Food, on West 72nd Street. I love that place!

Old 01-06-2021, 02:44 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
I appreciate regular chopped liver. I just like the sound of the ingredients in that particular Ratner's recipe (which I would put into its own category).

Quote:

Right. By deli-type, I mean dairy (including appetizing shop) favorites that are now found at kosher-style delis. Perhaps I'm using "deli" anachronistically, but as a Millennial who grew up in the age of the kosher-style deli, I just don't know any better.

And while I know kugel can be made pareve, I prefer the sweet variety with cheese. Blame the Galitzianer in me. Kasha varnishkes is one of those dishes that tastes good meat, dairy, or pareve.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I appreciate regular chopped liver. I just like the sound of the ingredients in that particular Ratner's recipe (which I would put into its own category).

Right. By deli-type, I mean dairy (including appetizing shop) favorites that are now found at kosher-style delis. Perhaps I'm using "deli" anachronistically, but as a Millennial who grew up in the age of the kosher-style deli, I just don't know any better.

And while I know kugel can be made pareve, I prefer the sweet variety with cheese. Blame the Galitzianer in me. Kasha varnishkes is one of those dishes that tastes good meat, dairy, or pareve.
Kreplach in chicken soup is what does it for me. Mmm, mmm, good!

I identify it for my non-Jewish friends by calling it "Jewish ravioli."

Old 01-07-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Kreplach in chicken soup is what does it for me. Mmm, mmm, good!

I identify it for my non-Jewish friends by calling it "Jewish ravioli."
I love me some kreplach. Kreplach in soup are great. Kreplach pan-fried with onions are even better.

I've also heard kreplach described as Jewish ravioli, and I used wonton wrappers the time I made my own with ground veal. It's not what Bubba would have done, but I think she'll forgive me for taking a shortcut.

That said, the kreplach I've encountered in restaurants are thick and doughy. I don't know if that's Philly-specific.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I love me some kreplach. Kreplach in soup are great. Kreplach pan-fried with onions are even better.

I've also heard kreplach described as Jewish ravioli, and I used wonton wrappers the time I made my own with ground veal. It's not what Bubba would have done, but I think she'll forgive me for taking a shortcut.

That said, the kreplach I've encountered in restaurants are thick and doughy. I don't know if that's Philly-specific.
The Ben's kosher restaurant chain in NYC makes perfect kreplach.

Are you inclined to post your shortcut recipe for your own kreplach with the ground veal? Sounds yummy!

Old 01-07-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Are you inclined to post your shortcut recipe for your own kreplach with the ground veal? Sounds yummy!
Then I will have to check Ben's out one of these days.

I can't take credit for the recipe, and I made them so long ago (nearly 10 years) that I don't know for certain which one I used.

However, based on some quick Googling, it seems I borrowed the 2nd Avenue Deli rendition. It's funny, because I later received the 2nd Avenue Deli cookbook as a Chanukah present. It's a great cookbook, and although they're a longstanding kosher meat restaurant, there's no shortage of dairy recipes as well.

They list ingredients to make your own wrappers, but Sharon Lebewohl kindly mentions the wonton wrapper trick. The meat filling recipe specifies "chopmeat." I wasn't (and still am not) sure if they mean ground chuck, or leftover roast brisket, or whatever else is sitting around your kitchen, but I thought that ground veal, with its mild taste and natural gelatin, would do nicely. And it did.

Of course, for the veal-averse, I'm sure ground chuck, brisket, short ribs, etc. would do just fine (and probably be more flavorful). I bet lean ground chicken would be good, too.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:19 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:

Kreplach looks delicious! I found a gluten-free recipe that I might try:

The Gluten Free Maven: Passing on Tradition

Have any of you ever had pelmeni before? They're Russian dumplings that look like tortelini. I'll be making them tomorrow night over Zoom with the RSJ Philly group.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Kreplach looks delicious! I found a gluten-free recipe that I might try:

The Gluten Free Maven: Passing on Tradition

Have any of you ever had pelmeni before? They're Russian dumplings that look like tortelini. I'll be making them tomorrow night over Zoom with the RSJ Philly group.
Pelmeni are awesome, and definitely a close cousin to kreplach. I get them (and other delights from behind the Iron Curtain) whenever I go to NetCost in the Great Northeast. They sell a variety of flavors frozen in barrels (though I don’t believe any are GF).

As I’m sure you know, greater Philadelphia’s Russian-speaking community is mostly (though by no means exclusively) Jewish, so I basically get to look in a mirror and imagine what I’d be like if my family had emigrated as refuseniks instead of shtetl dwellers.

I haven’t been there since before the pandemic. I imagine that COVID safety compliance is lax, at best.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 01-08-2021 at 10:14 AM..

Old 01-08-2021, 09:57 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Pelmeni are awesome, and definite a close cousin to kreplach. I get them (and other delights from behind the Iron Curtain) whenever I go to NetCost in the Great Northeast. They sell a variety of flavors frozen in barrels (though I don’t believe any are GF).

As I’m sure you know, greater Philadelphia’s Russian-speaking community is mostly (though by no means exclusively) Jewish, so I basically get to look in a mirror and imagine what I’d be like if my family had emigrated as refuseniks instead of shtetl dwellers.

I haven’t been there since before the pandemic. I imagine that COVID safety compliance is lax, at best.
What kind of sauce do you put on them or what do you serve them with? My parents want them with tomato sauce, but the photo they sent around looked like they had Greek yogurt and fennel on top. I'm going to go with Greek yogurt and fennel.

I might have to look up NetCoast. I am aware of the Northeast's Russian (and Ukrainian) population - the one community followed my Happiness Box on Instagram. Once COVID-19 passes, I want to participate in more events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism