Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 11:35 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

I've never tried pelemni but have seen Russian emigres eat them, as well as have seen them on the menu at the Russian Tea Room many years ago.

Rachel, most recently, I've gone to the Ben's in Manhattan. They seem to be better than the Ben's on Long Island. This past spring, just as the pandemic started and restrictions began to be imposed, I spotted one of our congressmen eating by himself. I literally said to the guy at the counter, "I'll have whatever Mr. Congressman is having because I know then it will have to be good."

The owner of Ben's used to come on the cooking show on the Catholic Faith Network. Also they used to offer a Ben's gift certificate to the winners of their game show on the same network, "Divine Intervention." Everyone enjoys a good pastrami on rye, even Catholic priests.

Rachel, I'm sure you are aware that Ben's is not glatt so some members would not be able to join us at our post-pandemic party.

Last edited by Coney; 01-08-2021 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 12:06 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I've never tried pelemni but have seen Russian emigres eat them, as well as have seen them on the menu at the Russian Tea Room many years ago.

Rachel, most recently, I've gone to the Ben's in Manhattan. They seem to be better than the Ben's on Long Island. This past spring, just as the pandemic started and restrictions began to be imposed, I spotted one of our congressmen eating by himself. I literally said to the guy at the counter, "I'll have whatever Mr. Congressman is having because I know then it will have to be good."

The owner of Ben's used to come on the cooking show on the Catholic Faith Network. Also they used to offer a Ben's gift certificate to the winners of their game show on the same network, "Divine Intervention." Everyone enjoys a good pastrami on rye, even Catholic priests.

Rachel, I'm sure you are aware that Ben's is not glatt so some members would not be able to join us at our post-pandemic party.
Yum, Pastrami on Rye. You're making my mouth water.

Once I make the pelemni, I'll post the recipe and photos. I'm excited to try them.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Pelmeni are awesome, and definitely a close cousin to kreplach. I get them (and other delights from behind the Iron Curtain) whenever I go to NetCost in the Great Northeast. They sell a variety of flavors frozen in barrels (though I don’t believe any are GF).

As I’m sure you know, greater Philadelphia’s Russian-speaking community is mostly (though by no means exclusively) Jewish, so I basically get to look in a mirror and imagine what I’d be like if my family had emigrated as refuseniks instead of shtetl dwellers.

I haven’t been there since before the pandemic. I imagine that COVID safety compliance is lax, at best.
Little Odessa?...

Old 01-15-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Little Odessa?...
I think it's called Little Russia now. Little Odessa is Brighton Beach, NYC.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I think it's called Little Russia now. Little Odessa is Brighton Beach, NYC.
I was talking about the one in Philly when I was stationed there, you didn’t want to wander into the neighborhood by accident, ya might not of come out...Back in the 80s it was 4 blocks by 4 blocks....If I remember correctly, it was up in NE Philly...

Yup, I remembered correctly:

“ Philadelphia’s “Little Odessa” is centered on Bustleton Avenue in North East Philadelphia. Cyrillic writing is everywhere, and there is Russian music playing in the stores. Tucked away in one of the strip malls along Bustleton Avenue is Palace Royal, a glatt kosher “Russian” restaurant. I invited my mother to join me there for lunch.” - http://pjvoice.org/2010/10/21/palace.../#.YAH6AxY8L6U

“Russian organized crime groups first appeared in Philadelphia in the early 1980s. The first known leader of Russian organized crime in Philadelphia, according to law enforcement sources, was Alexander Faynberg. Faynberg was born in Russia in 1932 and arrested for criminal activity several times when he lived in the USSR. After emigrating to the United States, Faynberg was arrested in California, Brooklyn and Philadelphia. Faynberg sometimes used the alias Alex Murro.” - https://mycitypaper.com/articles/110101/news.uw.shtml

Last edited by Richard1965; 01-15-2021 at 01:40 PM..

Old 01-15-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the one in Philly when I was stationed there, you didn’t want to wander into the neighborhood by accident, ya might not of come out...Back in the 80s it was 4 blocks by 4 blocks....If I remember correctly, it was up in NE Philly...
Yep, that's where it still is! I had an old friend that moved up that way and it was better than where she lived in Bridesburg. She moved to Fox Chase. Although, some of the neighbourhoods, I still wouldn't wander there alone at night.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Yep, that's where it still is! I had an old friend that moved up that way and it was better than where she lived in Bridesburg. She moved to Fox Chase. Although, some of the neighbourhoods, I still wouldn't wander there alone at night.
I was just reading a little and you’d be surprised at all the Jewish Gangsters in the US dating back to the 1800s...

Old 01-15-2021, 03:13 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
I was just reading a little and you’d be surprised at all the Jewish Gangsters in the US dating back to the 1800s...
As our grandmothers would say: "A shandeh far di goyim!"

Old 01-19-2021, 11:54 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thzl...ature=emb_logo

Old 01-20-2021, 04:58 AM

I made a Kosher coq au vin on Monday night. Here is the recipe: https://www.kosher.com/recipe/coq-au-vin-blanc-8638
Attached Thumbnails
The "Jewish Foodie" thread-pxl_20210118_233039129.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism