Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,364,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I just want to say that I love this whole perspective.
Nothing wrong with that perspective. The critical item, however, is that if a Jew attempts to lead other Jews into abrogating any of the 613 mitzvos by declaring any of them outdated, then that Jew is a rasha (evil person) and must be shunned.

However, if a Jew admits that all 613 mitzvos are required for a Jew to observe, and truthfully we're all at different madregas (levels) and some observe some better than others, than there's no problem with that. The problem comes when a Jew declares any of the 613 invalid or unnecessary.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Nothing wrong with that perspective. The critical item, however, is that if a Jew attempts to lead other Jews into abrogating any of the 613 mitzvos by declaring any of them outdated, then that Jew is a rasha (evil person) and must be shunned.

However, if a Jew admits that all 613 mitzvos are required for a Jew to observe, and truthfully we're all at different madregas (levels) and some observe some better than others, than there's no problem with that. The problem comes when a Jew declares any of the 613 invalid or unnecessary.
Also, if one does not agree with my statement above, they must immediately cease to recite shema, as the very foundation of shema, Chazal tell us, is that we are accepting the obligation to observe all 613 mitzvos.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:

Jewish movents who follow only the written Torah to the exclusion of the Talmud end up perishing from the earth in a few generations. If you've ever heard of the Sadduccees and Karaites, these are two examples. Neither exists today.
Actually karaite Jews still exist.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:19 AM

864 posts, read 871,208 times
Quote:
Actually karaite Jews still exist.
They are not considered Jews and must convert if they decide to join the larger Jewish population.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
The critical item, however, is that if a Jew attempts to lead other Jews into abrogating any of the 613 mitzvos by declaring any of them outdated, then that Jew is a rasha (evil person) and must be shunned.
After more thought, there's no reason to shun that Jew. They simply need to do t'shuvah (return to the Jewish people). That's why we have so many kiruv (Jewish outreach) organizations who focus on bringing Jews back to Judaism. Baruch Hashem.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:40 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,663,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
They are not considered Jews and must convert if they decide to join the larger Jewish population.
All I was pointing out is that TFF claimed that the karaites had died out which was not true. Whether other Jews consider them normative or not has nothing to do with my post that they still exist.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:

I didn't understand Pruzhany to be saying that any of the mitzvot are no longer applicable. He seemed to be talking about the application of them in a modern world, if I understand him correctly. Of course I am coming into the conversation late. it sounds like there is quite a long history with him here on C-D.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
I didn't understand Pruzhany to be saying that any of the mitzvot are no longer applicable. He seemed to be talking about the application of them in a modern world, if I understand him correctly. Of course I am coming into the conversation late. it sounds like there is quite a long history with him here on C-D.

Your version of understanding is correct. His is a Personal Attack which is nothing new for him to do.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
An example. Pruzhany agrees that a Jew may not light a fire on Shabbos. All of our sages tell us that using a computer on Shabbos (any single key stroke) is a violation of this commandment. Pruzhany, however, believes that one can indeed use key strokes on Shabbos, and chooses to ignore the halachic decisions of our gedolim (Jewish sages).

One of the 613 commandments is that Rabbinic mitzvos must be followed d'oraisa - meaning as if they are commandments given in the written Torah itself. To use one's computer on Shabbos is a violation of this mitzva.

Now if Pruzhany wants to use his computer on Shabbos, that's between he and his Maker. But if he chooses to tell other Jews to ignore their gedolim and instead follow his non-Torah paths - that's what is evil.

The issue here isn't how a Jew "interprets" the mitzvos. It's the rejection of our gedolim.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
An example. Pruzhany agrees that a Jew may not light a fire on Shabbos. All of our sages tell us that using a computer on Shabbos (any single key stroke) is a violation of this commandment. Pruzhany, however, believes that one can indeed use key strokes on Shabbos, and chooses to ignore the halachic decisions of our gedolim (Jewish sages).

One of the 613 commandments is that Rabbinic mitzvos must be followed d'oraisa - meaning as if they are commandments given in the written Torah itself. To use one's computer on Shabbos is a violation of this mitzva.

Now if Pruzhany wants to use his computer on Shabbos, that's between he and his Maker. But if he chooses to tell other Jews to ignore their gedolim and instead follow his non-Torah paths - that's what is evil.

The issue here isn't how a Jew "interprets" the mitzvos. It's the rejection of our gedolim.
Lets try this one last time. I TALK to my computer. I physically do not press the keys. I VERBALLY give it commands so I am not clicking anything with my mouse. Stop creating BS as I've made this exact statement time after time. Stop adding BS to make yourself sound better and more knowledgeable than everyone on this forum.
http://www.evaluesoftware.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2283&gclid=CKfxuoqilL kCFdOj4AodHHkAiQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism