Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 05:47 PM

174 posts, read 106,504 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zlateh..._Other_Stories
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 06:26 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Has anyone ever read Ketzel, the Cat Who Composed? It's a children's book based on a true story about Moshe and Ketzel Cotel. Moshe was a classical composer who found a cat, Little Ketzel, while he was strolling the streets of New York City.

Ketzel had a natural ability as well and won a contest for a song that was 60 seconds or less. Moshe loved her atonal sound and others loved it as well. Three years later, Ketzel received a royalty check that was used for cat food.

In 1999, Mr. Cotel composed "Mews' Muse for Orchestra," a composition based on Ketzel's prize-winning solo. Speaking to the John Hopkins Gazette about Ketzel's accomplishment, he said, "the rabbis speak of kavannah, a state of mental concentration. Any commonplace event in our day can be transformed and seen in a heightened sense of reality. We are surrounded by miracles if you can only perceive them.

This was such a fun read and beautiful. Leslea Newman captured the story well and Amy June Bates did a lovely job illustrating.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:36 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Not exactly in the same vein as the other books being mentioned is "The Latke Who couldn't Stop Screaming" by Lemony Snicket.

You have to know your child before giving them this book. The ending could be a shock to some children.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not exactly in the same vein as the other books being mentioned is "The Latke Who couldn't Stop Screaming" by Lemony Snicket.

You have to know your child before giving them this book. The ending could be a shock to some children.
I might have to check that out.

Have you ever read "The Matzah Man" by Naomi Howland? It's almost like the "Muffin Man," but the story of Passover and one naughty piece of Matzah.

This book is in the preschool section of the library I work for, but I would say this is better for Kindergarten and above.

Old 01-17-2021, 09:12 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Has anyone ever read Ketzel, the Cat Who Composed? It's a children's book based on a true story about Moshe and Ketzel Cotel. Moshe was a classical composer who found a cat, Little Ketzel, while he was strolling the streets of New York City.

Ketzel had a natural ability as well and won a contest for a song that was 60 seconds or less. Moshe loved her atonal sound and others loved it as well. Three years later, Ketzel received a royalty check that was used for cat food.

In 1999, Mr. Cotel composed "Mews' Muse for Orchestra," a composition based on Ketzel's prize-winning solo. Speaking to the John Hopkins Gazette about Ketzel's accomplishment, he said, "the rabbis speak of kavannah, a state of mental concentration. Any commonplace event in our day can be transformed and seen in a heightened sense of reality. We are surrounded by miracles if you can only perceive them.

This was such a fun read and beautiful. Leslea Newman captured the story well and Amy June Bates did a lovely job illustrating.
Just an added note: "Ketzel" (קעצל) is Yiddish for "kitten."

Great book review, Jess!

Here's a trailer for the book, as well:

Old 01-17-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

I was the kind of child who would've enjoyed that book. Come to think of it, I'm the kind of adult who still enjoys children's stories like that! (I went to see Shockheaded Peter off Broadway, twice.)

Old 02-13-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Here's a bittersweet follow-up to your review of this book, Jess. Ketzel sadly passed away in 2011, at the age of 19 years. She was given the distinctive honor of having her obituary appear in The New York Times, "an honor most cats don’t even dream of."

"Alas, Poor Ketzel"

Ketzel, NYC Cat That Wrote Piano Piece, Dies at 19

I looked up Ketzel's yahrzeit and it's the 11th of Tamuz.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:50 AM

This had to be one of my favourite Purim books so far. As I was shelving last week, this book appeared in my cart and I had to check it out. Cakes and Miracles: A Purim Tale by Barbara Goldin (https://pjlibrary.org/books/cakes-and-miracles/if41).

Hershel is a blind boy and he loves building sculptures in the mud. His father recently died and his mother sighs when he comes home with dirty clothes. She's been working extra hours to feed and clothe both of them. Hershel says, "mom, I can help you make Hamantaschen!"

Mother sighs and says, "Hershel, you are blind, you can't possibly help me."

Hershel goes to bed that night and an angel or at least a feminine vision appears to him and tells him that he can create, even with his eyes closed.

After the Megillah reading the next day, mom goes to bed and Hershel makes cookies from the dough that was rising. His mother was shocked with the beautiful cookies he created. I won't spoil the ending.

What a heartwarming tale and it teaches a good lesson: Hashem gives you gifts, and even if others can't see them at first or think you have a disability, you still have gifts. The gifts come out in mysterious ways.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:47 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
We participate in the PJ library network and get a new Jewish children’s book semi-monthly. Like all children’s literature, some books are great! Others, not so much.

Nosh, Schlep, Schluff (Babyiddish) and Joseph Had a Little Overcoat are my two favorites that we’ve received through PJ Library.

Schmelf the Hanukkah Elf is also delightful.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
This had to be one of my favourite Purim books so far. As I was shelving last week, this book appeared in my cart and I had to check it out. Cakes and Miracles: A Purim Tale by Barbara Goldin (https://pjlibrary.org/books/cakes-and-miracles/if41).

Hershel is a blind boy and he loves building sculptures in the mud. His father recently died and his mother sighs when he comes home with dirty clothes. She's been working extra hours to feed and clothe both of them. Hershel says, "mom, I can help you make Hamantaschen!"

Mother sighs and says, "Hershel, you are blind, you can't possibly help me."

Hershel goes to bed that night and an angel or at least a feminine vision appears to him and tells him that he can create, even with his eyes closed.

After the Megillah reading the next day, mom goes to bed and Hershel makes cookies from the dough that was rising. His mother was shocked with the beautiful cookies he created. I won't spoil the ending.

What a heartwarming tale and it teaches a good lesson: Hashem gives you gifts, and even if others can't see them at first or think you have a disability, you still have gifts. The gifts come out in mysterious ways.
Great review, Jess! I may buy that book for my public library as a memorial dedication for someone I know who has recently passed on.

@Elijah: My Jewish Center recently became a partner of PJ Library New York. I'm not entirely sure what the "PJ" stands for, although our Center's newsletter said it's "PJ as in 'pajamas'."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism