Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 12:57 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Another area that could be improved are Jewish summer camps. My family could never afford to send me, which is why I give to a local Jewish summer camp with my gift earmarked specifically at attracting children of interfaith families. I know several people who grew up in interfaith families who cite their summer camp experience as why they live rich Jewish lives as adults, including choosing to become rabbis, cantors, or working in Jewish community life. While many offer financial aid, the income level cutoff is often far lower than what one could realistically expect a family to be able to afford.
Giving to Jewish summer camps is a wonderful response for fostering the continuance of Jewish life and values! One of my favorite childhood authors was Sidney Taylor (of the All-of-a-Kind Family series) and I remember reading how she was very active in supporting Jewish summer camps. Your posting reminded me of her, Charolastra!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 07:43 AM

96 posts, read 50,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Giving to Jewish summer camps is a wonderful response for fostering the continuance of Jewish life and values! One of my favorite childhood authors was Sidney Taylor (of the All-of-a-Kind Family series) and I remember reading how she was very active in supporting Jewish summer camps. Your posting reminded me of her, Charolastra!
My girls loved listening to All of a Kind Family on CD at night! I found a lot of classic books for them to listen to when I was sleep deprived with a baby/toddler and couldn’t read to them without falling asleep myself!

Old 06-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulmorning View Post
My girls loved listening to All of a Kind Family on CD at night! I found a lot of classic books for them to listen to when I was sleep deprived with a baby/toddler and couldn’t read to them without falling asleep myself!

Wonderful series. I have All-of-a-Kind-Family books at the top of my list of "Best Books for Jewish Children". Even non-Jewish children enjoy these stories about the Jewish family living in NYC in the 1900s. I think that every public library should have them in their children's collection.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:04 AM

88,610 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Wonderful series. I have All-of-a-Kind-Family books at the top of my list of "Best Books for Jewish Children". Even non-Jewish children enjoy these stories about the Jewish family living in NYC in the 1900s. I think that every public library should have them in their children's collection.
Mine did, back in the Sixties, and we had two Jewish families in the entire town. I just loved those stories because they were in a different time and place.

Side note: I'd forgotten about the stories until a couple of years ago when I was working in Boro Park, Brooklyn. There is a deli on the corner down the block from where I worked that had the most wonderful vegetable soup and also potato, spinach, and mushroom burekas, which I'd never had before, so often my lunch was soup and burekas.

One day they had on the counter containers of spiced chickpeas. I bought some, and they were wonderful, but suddenly a scene from All-of-a-Kind family came flooding back. At one time they go to the market and each girl is given a penny to spend as they wish. One of them buys hot spiced chickpeas from a vendor. It sounded SO good to my young imagination, even though I didn't have the faintest idea back in the Sixties what chickpeas might be. I couldn't even remember the name of the books, so I just Googled something like "story of five Jewish sisters in the early 1900s" and found them.

I do miss the food in Boro park. I was vegetarian at the time, and they had such tasty choices.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Mine did, back in the Sixties, and we had two Jewish families in the entire town. I just loved those stories because they were in a different time and place.

Side note: I'd forgotten about the stories until a couple of years ago when I was working in Boro Park, Brooklyn. There is a deli on the corner down the block from where I worked that had the most wonderful vegetable soup and also potato, spinach, and mushroom burekas, which I'd never had before, so often my lunch was soup and burekas.

One day they had on the counter containers of spiced chickpeas. I bought some, and they were wonderful, but suddenly a scene from All-of-a-Kind family came flooding back. At one time they go to the market and each girl is given a penny to spend as they wish. One of them buys hot spiced chickpeas from a vendor. It sounded SO good to my young imagination, even though I didn't have the faintest idea back in the Sixties what chickpeas might be. I couldn't even remember the name of the books, so I just Googled something like "story of five Jewish sisters in the early 1900s" and found them.

I do miss the food in Boro park. I was vegetarian at the time, and they had such tasty choices.

"Arbis! Shaynicke, guttinke arbislach! Keuf meine heise arbis!" (Chick peas! Fine, nice chick peas! Buy my hot chick peas!)

Who could forget that scene of Thursday Market Day, when Mama took the girls to help shop for the Sabbath? I could practically taste all the different, delicious foods described – as well as imagine the smell of the fresh fish. I especially loved the Yiddish that was included in the book!

So happy to know that we share in common the memories of these wonderful books, MQ!

Old 07-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Default Jewish Children's Books

This thread is being created by request of a member as a result of "topic drift" in the "Intermarriage" thread (and your Mod here is guilty of participating in that). Rather than deleting the off-topic posts, feel free to continue the conversation about Jewish children's books here.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This thread is being created by request of a member as a result of "topic drift" in the "Intermarriage" thread (and your Mod here is guilty of participating in that). Rather than deleting the off-topic posts, feel free to continue the conversation about Jewish children's books here.

Haha! Thanks, MQ!

Here's a great little children's picture book by popular Israeli author Smadar Shir Sidi. It's titled: Little Daniel and the Jewish Delicacies, and the story follows a child named Daniel through the Jewish year of holiday celebrations as he discovers the special foods associated with each holiday.

I recommend this book (as well as the All-of-a-Kind Family series) for non-Jews with an interest in introducing their children to Jewish life and culture. I also recommend these children's books for new Jews-by-choice, as a fun way to immerse themselves in Jewish culture.

Has anyone else got any favorites?

Old 07-01-2019, 10:53 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,715,051 times
Something From Nothing
The Mouse in the Matzah Factory
Latke the Rescue Dog and there's a lot of other Hanukkah books for children

Old 07-02-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Something From Nothing
The Mouse in the Matzah Factory
Latke the Rescue Dog and there's a lot of other Hanukkah books for children

Great recommendations! You meant Latke the Lucky Dog – right? I looked up all three books you'd recommended, and Latke the Lucky Dog would be my favorite from your list. Probably because I also have a rescue dog.

Here's another recommendation of mine for somewhat older children (and even adults):

The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West. Here's what Rabbi Edward Feinstein (author of Tough Questions Jews Ask: A Young Adult's Guide to Building a Jewish Life) had to say about this book:

"For every kid who ever sneaked a comic book into the synagogue, there is a new hero – Rabbi Harvey, who tamed the Old West with Jewish wisdom and humor. I'm hiding a copy of this book in my tallis bag, hoping my kids will find it!"

I have this book, and I found it to be pretty funny. The logic problems presented to Rabbi Harvey in the book are solved with the Jewish wisdom and humor that kids will learn to appreciate.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:12 AM

I'm neither Jewish nor a kid, and some of these books sound like a fun read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism