Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 07:58 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I understand the desire for a melech moshiach, speedily in our days, but what's the hurry to eat dead pigs?
Ha ha. You should not have darshaned smuchan (sorry , there’s simply no exact translation) from the last two sentences of my last post. And FYI, I was a vegetarian for 25 years. I have no taiva (craving) for pork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 01:49 AM

145 posts, read 98,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Is it, though, doing what you think it is? That's really the question here. I did find the following at https://www.export.gov/apex/article2...el-Agriculture : "Exporters need to consider the issue of kashrut or kosher certification. Kosher certification is not a legal requirement for importing food into Israel, except for beef, poultry, and other meat and products. However, non-kosher products have a much smaller market share, as most supermarkets and hotels refuse to carry them. In recent years there has been an increase in demand for non-kosher foods, especially from immigrants from the former Soviet Union."

Could a resentment towards the growing demands of these Soviet immigrants (and others) possibly be a reason why this law focusing on imports was suddenly enacted? In which case, does this law have more to do with social engineering than actual religious observance, regardless of its "veneer of respectable intent"?

And, it doesn't really apply "a consistent rule across all products." What about clothing products of mixed materials that would be deemed non-kosher? Where is the concern with importing these?

I would need to know about Israel's anti-cruelty laws in regard to that. That particular Noahide Law seems to me to have more to do with basic ethics than religious dietary laws. A cruel people who would blithely tear limbs off living animals (or nail living people to poles, as discussed in another thread) do not sound like the sort of people who might be capable of living amicably with others.
The rule of איבר מן חי which applies to Jews also is a dietary law as it’s a concept of Kashrut

Old 11-06-2019, 04:05 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
.... darshaned smuchan (sorry , there’s simply no exact translation).....

Then either supply the words in Hebrew and what you think it means. Darshaned means explained, but the other word needs to be in Hebrew to translate as it's phonetic English spelling is incorrect.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:11 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post
The rule of איבר מן חי which applies to Jews also is a dietary law as it’s a concept of Kashrut

Yes, eiver min ha'chai ("organ from the living") applies also to Jewish dietary law, as all the Noahide Laws are "Torah level laws" (as mentioned by Rabbi Rosends already in this thread). As a Noahide law, it is a basic anti-cruelty law that I believe most people can support, regardless of their religious beliefs. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic about humanity, but I don't think that most people want to be intentionally and unnecessarily cruel to animals.

Something else that Rabbi Yehuda of Chabad told me on the phone yesterday, which I forget to include in my previous post. I asked Rabbi: Why this focus on imports when there is already a domestic industry in Israel for pork production? Rabbi Yehuda explained that products coming in as imports have to pass through the hands of Jews, whereas the pigs in Israel are farmed by non-Jews for the consumption of non-Jews, and don't pass through the hands of Jews. This also answered my concern about Jews possibly appearing to impose all of Jewish religious law on non-Jews: Obviously Israel is not doing this, otherwise there would be no pig farming at all in Israel.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniHaGever View Post

How hard would it have been to type "animal organs" instead of typing
the words in Hebrew? אבר מן החי would be the correct Hebrew spelling.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
eiver min ha'chai ("organ from the living")
It's actually translated as a organ from a 'live' animal.

https://outorah.org/p/6327

Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Thanks for providing the link. I was going for as literal a translation as possible (I'd also noticed that he'd left out the ha, "the"). And, yes, I agree that forum members should make every effort to transliterate their Hebrew and provide English translations on this English-speaking forum. The Owner of City-Data graciously provides us with this forum for our discussion, permitting us to use Hebrew words and expressions providing that we make these understandable for all members. That doesn't seem to be at all an unreasonable request, IMO.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for providing the link. I was going for as literal a translation as possible (I'd also noticed that he'd left out the ha, "the"). And, yes, I agree that forum members should make every effort to transliterate their Hebrew and provide English translations on this English-speaking forum. The Owner of City-Data graciously provides us with this forum for our discussion, permitting us to use Hebrew words and expressions providing that we make these understandable for all members. That doesn't seem to be at all an unreasonable request, IMO.

Issue was that the translation out of context includes cannibalism.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:37 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

I have always seen eiver as limb, not organ. Though translating it literally excludes any verb that would explain the meaning of the phrase so it might not be complete as a translation.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I have always seen eiver as limb, not organ....
The direct translation is mistranslated for limb to be used. As limbs contain muscles and muscles exist throughout the entire body, thus using limbs excludes organs. The parts holding a Heart, are not limbs are they?

Shank meat is rarely eaten as it's usually extremely tough to chew if it comes from a cow and very limited if it comes from a smaller animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism