Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:20 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,879,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I do not believe that Jews think differently because of some biological reason. However, due to past history, many non-Hasidim are cynics and follow the philosophy, "hope for the best, but expect the worst."
I agree -- it's not due to anything biological. I hope you had a chance to read the article linked in the OP. I think you'd find it interesting, Coney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 08:45 PM

243 posts, read 102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I think you're right. I'm an amateur historian and I remember learning about this. Although Nan wasn't my biological grandma, I know as a daughter of Italian immigrant parents, she faced a lot of prejudices as an Italian and a Catholic. Her father died when she was 12, he had mouth cancer, and she remembers her mom struggling to raise the 6 young children she had. Nan was born in 1923, so he died around 1935, right when times were difficult.

I am drawn to struggle and justice and I think you're right on that account too. 23 & Me is being weird; my 10% Ashkenazi disappeared, and now it's showing my strongly Eastern European (Polish, Slovak, and Russian) roots. I looked at the family tree through 23 & Me and I have a handful of 2nd and 3rd cousins who are related by strands of my DNA that are very Jewish. Many of them live in Canada and I eventually want to move to Canada; I've thought about connecting.

I love hearing stories and learning about others. Apparently, for my generation, it's perceived as odd. Shrug. I'm sad about how Jews and Muslims in the US are treated. I'm hoping that once we come out of isolation, people continue being kind.
My grandfather came here from Greece( so we thought) when he was a teenager. They left around one of the Greek- Turkish conflicts. We found out from Ancestry. Com and 23 and me that he was born in Turkey, not Greece. He always told everyone that he was born in Greece. Some of his sisters and brothers were born in Greece though, Thessolokia ( can't remember spelling)
His store was always getting rocks thrown in the window and my mother said that the kids used to call her a " "dirty Greek" in school.
I have Ashkenazi Jewish in my reports too, but don't know how much of it's accurate or how they figured that out.
I have 9% on one and 11% on the other, my mom only got 6%. My dad died a year before testing became popular. It would of been great because he was adapted and would finally find out about family members.
I know for sure the Greek , Dutch, And Danish is her side, as in her report too.
Mine had Southern Germany, Austria and the Eastern European countries also. They weren't on my moms side, so does that mean it's from my dad's side?
I have connections on both sides with Jewish blood.
I take that with a grain of salt though, until I find out more.
I do know that my Dutch grandma had brother and sisters who were or identified with being Jewish.
Someone on my dads side was buried in a Jewish cemetery, but she could of been married to a Jew too, so was buried there.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
My grandfather came here from Greece( so we thought) when he was a teenager. They left around one of the Greek- Turkish conflicts. We found out from Ancestry. Com and 23 and me that he was born in Turkey, not Greece. He always told everyone that he was born in Greece. Some of his sisters and brothers were born in Greece though, Thessolokia ( can't remember spelling)
His store was always getting rocks thrown in the window and my mother said that the kids used to call her a " "dirty Greek" in school.
I have Ashkenazi Jewish in my reports too, but don't know how much of it's accurate or how they figured that out.
I have 9% on one and 11% on the other, my mom only got 6%. My dad died a year before testing became popular. It would of been great because he was adapted and would finally find out about family members.
I know for sure the Greek , Dutch, And Danish is her side, as in her report too.
Mine had Southern Germany, Austria and the Eastern European countries also. They weren't on my moms side, so does that mean it's from my dad's side?
I have connections on both sides with Jewish blood.
I take that with a grain of salt though, until I find out more.
I do know that my Dutch grandma had brother and sisters who were or identified with being Jewish.
Someone on my dads side was buried in a Jewish cemetery, but she could of been married to a Jew too, so was buried there.
It's not at all unusual for people of Dutch descent to discover that they have Jewish ancestry. When Spain expelled the Jews, Holland welcomed us. A lot of Spanish Jews settled in Holland on account of this.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:39 PM

243 posts, read 102,528 times
Really? I wonder how these test know this stuff though. All of the countries that showed up on my moms tests, were correct.
Speaking of generics, I know that you're considered Jewish,if you can prove lineage from your moms side, but what about the Sephardic vs Ashkenazi issue?
What about someone ones mother is only a small percentage Sephardic Jew, but father a higher percent of Ashkenazi, would you still be considered Sephardic, even though you have more Ashkenazi blood?
Don't know if that is the same as being Jewish from your mom's side or if it's considered more of a Ethnic vs Religion thing , if this makes sense.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Why were so many of the people who changed our world Jewish? The Talmud, says Norman Lebrecht: "What I’m bringing to light is not a conspiracy of Elders of Zion nor a ridiculous notion of Jewish exceptionalism... but a way of thinking that has allowed Jews to see the world from an oblique angle. Do Jews think differently? The moment I asked that question, there could be only one answer."

Quoted from: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...k-differently-
(Please click on link to read full article.)

In his article, journalist and novelist Norman Lebrecht cites various examples of how the Talmud may have influenced the way Jews think -- from immunologist and physician Karl Landsteiner's ground-breaking discovery of the major blood groups, to composer and pianist George Gershwin composing "in what he called a freygish mode, a Yiddish term for questioning, self-doubt."

Do you agree or disagree with Lebrecht? If you agree, can you think of other examples?
I had a jewish partner for 25 years until cancer took her, I observed Judaism from the outside at close range.
Yes, they definately think differently than the average joe.
Its part cultural and part spiritual based.
Monotheism is at the root of it.
The one still quiet voice vs the pack of barking dogs of the ego.
That forms a secure foundation for a sound and sane worldview.

Yes the Talmud is a founding text but that came from campfire stories in the oral tradition way back.
They were already thinking differently long before the written form.
They gave the world a gift, if we get past this plague we'll make a better world, come the new Jerusalem.
https://youtu.be/cv-0mmVnxPA

Old 04-17-2020, 06:27 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
It's not at all unusual for people of Dutch descent to discover that they have Jewish ancestry. When Spain expelled the Jews, Holland welcomed us. A lot of Spanish Jews settled in Holland on account of this.
Haha, I have a genealogist sister who urged us sll to have our DNA done. I am of Dutch descent. My mother's maiden name is a Spanish word, and her DNA shows both some small percentages of Jewish and Iberian peninsula ancestry.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, I have a genealogist sister who urged us sll to have our DNA done. I am of Dutch descent. My mother's maiden name is a Spanish word, and her DNA shows both some small percentages of Jewish and Iberian peninsula ancestry.
There you go! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...he_Netherlands

Old 04-17-2020, 07:57 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When you look at these DNA results you also have to look at historic boundaries of a country during the time frame your relative was there. My sister had it done and 1 result was Italian we were like what! Our Grandmother always said (in a haute way) that her parents came from Austria but that was well prior to WWI. Break out the history book and the Trieste Region in the north east of Italy was part of the Austrian Empire that may be the reason that the test result came back as it did. For those of Polish decent that country was redefined more than a few times even disappearing for a period so 1 generations Pole is a German in the next.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:35 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
When you look at these DNA results you also have to look at historic boundaries of a country during the time frame your relative was there. My sister had it done and 1 result was Italian we were like what! Our Grandmother always said (in a haute way) that her parents came from Austria but that was well prior to WWI. Break out the history book and the Trieste Region in the north east of Italy was part of the Austrian Empire that may be the reason that the test result came back as it did. For those of Polish decent that country was redefined more than a few times even disappearing for a period so 1 generations Pole is a German in the next.
Spain occupied the Netherlands for a time. That's simply history.

An interesting note about the Netherlands is that while Jews were accepted and welcomed (and that extended to the new world, as the first Jewish congregation in Nieuw Amsterdam arrived in 1654 and the Dutch West India Company instructed the governor to let them in and their congregation, Sheareth Israel, still exists in New York City), Catholics were so absolutely hated that their religion was outlawed for a time. There is a museum called Our Lord In The Attic, which was a secret Catholic church on the upper floor of a house in Amsterdam.

In that case, it was Christian vs. Christian with Jews welcomed but other Christians not.

People are weird. You heard it from me.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,625,693 times
Makes sense! I know Eastern Europe has a high percentage of Jewish people - so that makes sense to me. When I went to Brighton Beach last summer, it's a Russian enclave with a high percentage of Jewish people too. I love the Brighton Beach area.

I never realized about the Dutch. That would seem to make sense too - I feel like DNA helps us learn our history too.

I studied German in high school (I also studied Yiddish too) and our German club went to Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Lichtenstein in April 2007. We went to Dachau and that trip changed my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism