Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 05:57 PM

9,207 posts, read 6,324,932 times

Advertisements

I was intrigued by this article, "I’m a Jewish Convert. I’m Also an Atheist."

https://www.heyalma.com/im-a-jewish-...so-an-atheist/

I'm thinking about the premise and what it means. It's a new thought to me, that someone would convert to Judaism but not believe in G-d. It started me thinking about being Jewish and not believing in G-d.

But what does being a Jew mean? Having been born a Jew, I accepted as a given, a belief in Hashem. As a Jew, I followed (1) rules, (2) customs, and (3) beliefs from my parents and grandparents.

There are wide ranges in all three among the many branches and practices of Judaism. But I never thought about not believing in G-d.

The author writes: "Judaism’s bounty of Hebrew prayers contribute structure to my gratitude practice, something that I’ve found improves my mental health. Multiple times a day, when I’m struck by the beauty of nature, I mutter Baruch atah Adonai, Eloheinu melech haolam, oseh ma’aseh b’rei****. We praise you, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe, who makes the works of creation. I may not believe in God but I believe in being grateful for the miracle of the natural world."

Can one be grateful for something but not believe that it was created by a higher force?

I am uncomfortable with the author's premise that singing Dayenu and drinking sweet wine makes one a Jew. But then I think, who I am to judge another's heart and her beliefs?

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 06:48 PM

4,121 posts, read 1,898,905 times
This is a great topic! I had toyed with atheism for a brief period in my life, but it wasn't very long before I returned to traditional Judaism -- with even greater conviction in our faith than I'd previously had.

A lot of what we do and believe may not make sense to an atheist, but it makes sense to me. And, since religion is a deeply personal thing (at least, in Judaism, to the extent that we don't try to evangelize our religion to non-Jews), I can understand and accept how Judaism is not the path for everyone. I have friends of different faiths, as well as atheist friends. I am happy to write that we are able to discuss our differing perspectives without acrimony. I am not swayed to join another faith. I know that Judaism is in my blood and soul, and I am exactly where I was meant to be in my life.

Lillie, I am also uncomfortable with the "premise that [merely] singing Dayenu and drinking sweet wine makes one a Jew." Maybe that's because I yearn to swim in deeper waters -- to dive into our traditions, practices, history, and especially beliefs, and then break the surface of the pool with a gasp of breath at the wonder of our shared, millennia-old experience. There is so much more to embrace.

Sorry for waxing poetical. I do believe in the "higher force" which we call HaShem (among other names). I am glad that, as Jews, we don't view HaShem in any absolute anthropomorphic form (as Christians seem to do with G-d and their Jesus). I also don't think you'll find a Jew arguing over whether HaShem is a Black man or a White man, the way we've seen some Christians do over their Jesus.

For myself, I view G-d as the Supreme Intellect, much as Maimonides did.

I've not yet read the article you linked, but I will later, and perhaps comment on it (if only to keep the discussion going. )

Old 10-31-2022, 04:23 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,278,753 times
I am frustrated by the article -- I can not lie. I find the idea of "converting" without any underlying faith to be problematic and also not valid. Had the author gone through the Orthodox process, the author would never have converted and maybe that's for the better. Judaism isn't anyone's security blanket when he or she loses his or her initial anchor. It isn't ritual or language, it is belief.

The idea of being a Jewish atheist is something that exists if you are born Jewish. If you choose Judaism, then you are required to (at least claim that you) believe. There are loads of articles and websites online which speak of how reform conversions don't require belief, or how there should be an equivalent secular conversion process. I find that all ridiculous.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:46 AM

43,859 posts, read 44,644,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I am frustrated by the article -- I can not lie. I find the idea of "converting" without any underlying faith to be problematic and also not valid. Had the author gone through the Orthodox process, the author would never have converted and maybe that's for the better. Judaism isn't anyone's security blanket when he or she loses his or her initial anchor. It isn't ritual or language, it is belief.

The idea of being a Jewish atheist is something that exists if you are born Jewish. If you choose Judaism, then you are required to (at least claim that you) believe. There are loads of articles and websites online which speak of how reform conversions don't require belief, or how there should be an equivalent secular conversion process. I find that all ridiculous.
I mainly agree with the above. The only way I can see someone converting to Judaism while being atheist is if someone is converting in order to marry someone Jewish (and that would be mainly so children would be raised Jewish) IMHO. Again converting to Judaism while being atheist does seem like an oxymoron to me.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:58 AM

4,121 posts, read 1,898,905 times
I once encountered someone who converted with the only reason being so that she might marry her Jewish husband and somehow appease his relatives. I didn't know this woman personally; she was someone who told her story on another forum I used to frequent. She described herself as being an atheist (both before and after her conversion, although she admitted that she was not as outspoken about atheism before her conversion).

I wondered at the time whether her conversion was a sham -- just an expedient way to get what she wanted. I don't know for certain whether her conversion was an Orthodox one but, from her description of her husband's family, it sounded as though it probably had been.

Apparently, her husband wasn't troubled by any of this. I didn't comment on any of what she said, as I figured nobody asked me and I didn't have to associate with this person, anyway. (I'd mentioned in my previous post that I do have some atheist friends, but they are honest people and don't play games or pretend to be something they are not in order to get something that they want.)

It seems to me that not only observant Jews but also honest atheists would give this woman the fish-eye. And I know both observant Jews and honest atheists who would do exactly that.

Old 10-31-2022, 10:45 AM

I appreciate all the replies.

When I first read the opinion piece, I was definitely put off by the premise of a conversion to Judaism not including any religious beliefs. But I started to think about this. The current and modern world of Judaism is very broad, and I try not to judge other Jews in either their beliefs or their traditions. I was born a Jew and have followed different levels of observance through my life. I know I fall short of how I should live my life, but every day I try to improve. One of my shortcomings is being judgmental. I am very sensitive to this.

As I stated in my first post above, I cannot know or judge what is in someone's heart. I can only observe their actions and read their writings.

But I was distressed by the apparent rejoicing in her non-belief in G-d. I know Jews [and followers of other religions] that doubt or question the existence of G-d, but that usually occurs in times of deep turmoil or sorrow, not as a basis for their stated religion.

My non-Jewish husband always enjoyed the Jewish holidays, communal meals, and other traditions and trappings of Jewish life. He helped me peel potatoes for Chanukah pancakes and thoroughly enjoyed eating hamantaschen during Purim. We were partners in scrubbing the house for Pesach and he carefully refrained from eating leavened in the house. But he never considered himself Jewish. Instead, he enjoyed sharing my religious practices with me.

After reading the piece, I was angry, then I was puzzled. What is a conversion without a commitment to beliefs?

In another thread, I posted that ours is a big tent with lots of room for everyone. I invited people to ask questions and we would try to explain our beliefs and traditions.

But I don't think our tent is big enough to include atheists. And I don't like saying this. I would like to find a way to include all.

To you I'm an atheist; to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Woody Allen (1935 - )

Old 10-31-2022, 02:23 PM

19,301 posts, read 17,205,405 times
Perhaps those that so often call themselves atheists are disenchanted with the rules & ritual of religion as man has made them but accept that there is some form of higher power (however they interpret that).

You also have to ask is converting for someone out of love an empty shell or is the process being done to satisfy someone's family/parents an empty shell? After all it seem like a check list item to cross of before they will approve the marriage..

Old 10-31-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps those that so often call themselves atheists are disenchanted with the rules & ritual of religion as man has made them but accept that there is some form of higher power (however they interpret that).

You also have to ask is converting for someone out of love an empty shell or is the process being done to satisfy someone's family/parents an empty shell? After all it seem like a check list item to cross of before they will approve the marriage..

Some of the reasons you mention might be applicable, except that none of these applies to the writer.

Old 10-31-2022, 04:35 PM

19,301 posts, read 17,205,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Some of the reasons you mention might be applicable, except that none of these applies to the writer.
I can't comment on the writer I was simply voicing a general interpterion on the apparent conflict of conversion & being an atheist.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:37 PM

11,664 posts, read 12,771,645 times
It seems like the writer would be more comfortable with the reconstructionist form of Judaism, but I'm not an expert on this matter.

Anyone who converts just to have a Jewish marriage ceremony or to please a prospective spouse or the family is not being authentic and therefore, the conversion should not be valid. It's what I call an "Elizabeth Taylor" type of conversion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism