Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Kansas City
Independence
Lee's Summit.
Warrensburg.
Sedalia
Jefferson City
Hermann
Washington
Kirkwood
St Louis

I the rode the Missouri Pacific Eagle equivalent a number of times between Independence and Warrensburg when I was going to school there in the sixties. It was always an enjoyable ride and I was, at the time, living in an overflow dormitory one-half block from the station.

Seems to me Pleasant Hill was a stop back then and maybe even Holden.

The Amtrak ride takes five hours forty minutes to travel the 283 rail miles from KC to St Louis.

Yeah, of course, I see now. I actually traced those tracks a few weeks back to see if they were the ones that went near our house, and then all the way into St. Louis. A train ride from Lee's Summit to KC would be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Anyone remember the Cottage Inn out in that area on 24? I think it was a restaurant.
"Cottage Inn" sounds familiar, maybe a sponsor of a team at Strike N Spare. If it was out that way it was likely east of 71 Bypass as it shows up neither in 1960 or 1956 Polk's.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
On the N. side apparently Allen Sinclair and Salisbury Hills Rest. were next door neighbors, then 24 runs a gamut of residences out to Cogan Ln. where Bob's Hardware and Rental was at 15700. Next was the "B-B-Lodte" (sic) Motel, which I presume was a misspelling of "Lodge" Moffett's Auto Svc and the Owens Supertte Market and Sam's DX round out 24 to city limits.

Not much else on the S. side other than the aforementioned Conoco Inn & Moon Light Motel. Risinger Implement Co. and "The Coffee Shop. at 71 Bypass/Allen is pretty much it.

Maybe those might ring the bell for the restaurant.

Lipari's Restaurant, Square Circle Liquor, One Pump Gas Station, Dairy Queen, Blue Bell Motel....

Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
I found this on the web:

The Coffee Shop - Combs' Cottage Inn ("Open 24 Hours Daily - Air Conditioned by Chrysler Air-Temp.Phillips '66' Service for Your Car While Dinning")

Must have been there at Allen Road and 24.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Lipari's Restaurant, Square Circle Liquor, One Pump Gas Station, Dairy Queen, Blue Bell Motel....

I do see One Pump G/S, and presumably "B B Lodge" is the Blue Bell. Couldn't find the other establishments. Are they post-60 businesses?

That part of town was rather foreign to me. I probably remember the Moon Light Motel as much from the postcards and billboards I am trying to think of why we would have been at that intersection . . . likely because of going to Ft Osage or the nearby Sibley Cemetery where some family are buried. My "Independence" was pretty much the area west of Noland Rd, or immediately east. The only recollection I have of Lee's Summit Rd was Stephenson's and that was probably out of the city limits. I'm sure we went past the Drumm Farm on occasion too, but it wasn't until WCHS mentioned it here that I remembered

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-13-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
I found this on the web:

The Coffee Shop - Combs' Cottage Inn ("Open 24 Hours Daily - Air Conditioned by Chrysler Air-Temp.Phillips '66' Service for Your Car While Dinning")

Must have been there at Allen Road and 24.

I'm not sure of the exact location myself....
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-combs-cottege-inn-c.1950.jpg  

Old 10-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I am sort of confused. If someone had shown me that photo without the name being shown I would have guessed it was the Conoco Inn.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The One Pump Gas Station had exactly that--one pump. He kept his price one cent lower than everyone else and in keeping with the times, an attendant filled the car.

I dont believe one could buy Ethyl gasoline there. Back then I dont believe you could get more than one grade from one pump station, while today each pump station usually has three separate grades available.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Looks familiar. Classic building. Wish that could have been preserved for posterity.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Those motels along Highway 24 we have mentioned were all that were available in Independence back in the fifties. They were all mom and pops. There were no national chains.

The Earle Hotel was on the square but there was nothing else in town.

I think the Holiday Inn on 40 highway and Noland in the late fifties marked the first motel away from 24 Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City