Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 06:20 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times

Advertisements

There were also Ben Franklin 5 and Dimes.

They might have been an affiliate of TG&Y.

Follow up: 100% incorrect. Absolutely zero mention if TG&Y in its Wikipedia entry. In fact BF is still in business.

“ Ben Franklin is a chain of five and dime and arts and crafts stores found primarily in small towns throughout the United States, currently owned by Promotions Unlimited of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin.[1] They are organized using a franchise system, with individual stores owned by independent proprietors. It was perhaps the first retail franchise, starting in 1927.[2] They are named after Benjamin Franklin, taking a cue in their merchandise offerings from Franklin's saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned."

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-15-2020 at 06:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
TG&Y! There was one of those in the Swope Parkway shopping center about 3/4 mile south of where I lived.

That was one of the regional "five and dime" chains that competed with Woolworth's. (Sam Walton ran one on the square in Bentonville, Ark., in the 1960s. Then, like Kresge and Woolworth, he got this idea that a discount department store would do well. The rest is history.)

But can anybody tell me what TG&Y stood for?
Was there a baseball diamond just down the street from you? I looked on the map and think that was what we called back in the 1960s “47th and Agnes” a frequent site for Kansas City 3 & 2 baseball games

As I recall, adjacent to left and centerfield was brush Creek? It was waaaayyyyyyy out there

Another site was Swope and Woodland. A single diamond on the north side (if memory serves) I’m thinking that was called “51st & Woodland or 50th & Woodland”.

I know you don’t live here anymore but Are you familiar with these and if so do you know if they’re still around it’s hard to tell from google maps

Old 11-15-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What was the Wish-Bone restaurant?

This old-school landmark was located on top of the hill at 45th and Main streets, overlooking the Country Club Plaza. Lipton bought the restaurant because of its salad dressing, which had become regionally famous; now it's a famous national brand.

Meanwhile, the restaurant is no more; it met its demise in the late 1980s, IIRC.
Alex: Uhhhhh <glances at judges>. No. Sorry, S, that is incorrect. Let’s move to MAD and see what he wrote down . . .

Old 11-16-2020, 03:49 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Was there a baseball diamond just down the street from you? I looked on the map and think that was what we called back in the 1960s “47th and Agnes” a frequent site for Kansas City 3 & 2 baseball games

As I recall, adjacent to left and centerfield was brush Creek? It was waaaayyyyyyy out there

Another site was Swope and Woodland. A single diamond on the north side (if memory serves) I’m thinking that was called “51st & Woodland or 50th & Woodland”.

I know you don’t live here anymore but Are you familiar with these and if so do you know if they’re still around it’s hard to tell from google maps
"47th & Agnes" would be where that street met Brush Creek (now Emmanuel Cleaver II) Boulevard. I don't remember a ball field being located there (this would be the north bank of the creek), but my memory of what lay between Agnes and the (I think) National Guard armory is hazy enough that I might be overlooking something.

The ball field I DO remember was a stadium just south of the creek's opposite bank, on a lot bounded on the north by businesses fronting Swope Parkway, on the east by Swope Parkway (which changes from east-west to north-south where Benton Boulevard runs into it) itself, on the south by 51st Street and on the west by Town Fork Creek (which flows into Brush Creek via a tunnel beneath Swope Parkway at this lot's northwest corner). I forget what it was called back when I was young, but I think it's named for Satchel Paige now. I think it hosted major Little League and 3&2 tournaments. As Town Fork Creek runs along the left-field side of the stadium, maybe this was the first ballfield you're talking about?

Agnes met Swope Parkway between the Swope Parkway Shopping Center, home of both that TG&Y and an A&P supermarket (not to mention the laundromat where my Mom would take our wash from the time the old Crosley washer in our basement broke down when I was about 5 until we got a washer and dryer around 1972), and a branch of Blue Valley Federal Savings.

There is indeed also a ballfield where Woodland Avenue crosses Brush Creek, between the creek and Swope Parkway. I think this is probably the "50th and Woodland" field you mention, for Woodland — like all the streets between The Paseo and Swope Parkway — climbs a hill as it leaves the Brush Creek floodplain headed south, and I believe the addresses on Woodland just south of Swope Parkway are in the 4800s. (All the streets east of The Paseo climb a similar hill headed north from the floodplain.) As the intersection of Emmanuel Cleaver and Volker boulevards, The Paseo, Swope Parkway and 47th Street, about 3 blocks west of Woodland, was completely reconfigured from its appearance when I was young (and the Gates BBQ location that had been on the south side of Swope Parkway at Highland got moved to roughly the middle of this confluence of streets), I can't vouch for this ball field's continued existence. Now I have some more signs of change to look for on my next trip Back Home.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Alex: Uhhhhh <glances at judges>. No. Sorry, S, that is incorrect. Let’s move to MAD and see what he wrote down . . .
Now I'm curious.

Didn't that 1957 purchase add Wish-Bone salad dressing to the Lipton product line? (1957 was the year before I was born, so I would have no memory of it.)

I associated the salad dressing with the restaurant, which was known for fried chicken (natch).

What did the contestant who got this one right answer?

(And Godspeed, Alex. "Jeopardy!" won't be the same without you.)

Old 11-16-2020, 07:53 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:

What is Wish Bone Italian Salad Dressing (without the restaurant)?

Old 11-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
There were also Ben Franklin 5 and Dimes.

They might have been an affiliate of TG&Y.

Follow up: 100% incorrect. Absolutely zero mention if TG&Y in its Wikipedia entry. In fact BF is still in business.

“ Ben Franklin is a chain of five and dime and arts and crafts stores found primarily in small towns throughout the United States, currently owned by Promotions Unlimited of Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin.[1] They are organized using a franchise system, with individual stores owned by independent proprietors. It was perhaps the first retail franchise, starting in 1927.[2] They are named after Benjamin Franklin, taking a cue in their merchandise offerings from Franklin's saying, "A penny saved is a penny earned."
Quote:
Toys Guns & Yo-Yos
That's one of the nicknames customers gave the chain, according to the Wikipedia article on TG&Y; generally, they all had "yo-yos" for the Y.

But it turns out the initials stood for the surnames of the three men who founded the company in Oklahoma City in 1935. In descending order of their ages, they were Rawdon E. Tomlinson, Enoch L. "Les" Gosselin, and Raymond A. Young. Each of them ran a five-and-dime of their own, and they formed a warehouse company to supply them, then opened their first jointly-owned store the following year.

Yeah, "Tomlinson, Gosselin & Young" (a) sounds more like the name of a law firm (b) would have been harder to remember.

Old 11-16-2020, 12:48 PM

267 posts, read 158,368 times
Touroughly Gross & Yucky!

There was one in the Alton Plaza on 23rd st. Later on, one in the Chrisman Plaza on 24 hiway.

Old 11-16-2020, 03:29 PM

267 posts, read 158,368 times
THROUGHLY! scheesh.......

Old 11-16-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
THROUGHLY! scheesh.......
T-H-O-R-O-U-G-H-L-Y

There, fixed it for ya.

What? You don't have an auto-correct add-on that insists on turning "its" (possessive) into "it's" (contraction for "it is"), as mine did as I typed this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City