Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2020, 05:51 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
1104 E. Meyer Blvd. would be The Landing. I have a vague recollection of that store, which was at the west end of the mall's main level IIRC and also had an entrance via stairs from the upper-level parking lot on Troost. (There was also a fancy Gilbert/Robinson restaurant on that level whose name I forget.)

Where was "Northeast Center Mall"? Antioch Center is the one major shopping center I remember North of the River. 1906 Swift would be in Downtown North Kansas City, which was an attractive commercial district then and still is now. (The bridge that the Heart of America Bridge replaced for car traffic was named for that packing house, one other meatpacker, and the railroad that crossed it and still does: Armour-Swift-Burlington. I guess the three companies jointly built it in 1911. And those are also NKC's three principal thoroughfares.)

And yes, I remember Venture too. That was (St. Louis-based) May Department Stores' foray into the discount-department store realm. They tried to go for the "upscale discount" crowd Target (Dayton Hudson's discount division, now the company name) captured.

Rothschild's, mentioned earlier, also had a store at Metcalf South as well as its store on the Plaza. I got my first suit at the Plaza store.

So you lived in Independence yourself?
Good question on the NE Center Mall. I looked in 1972 for Kline's thinking it might have a better description, but alas, no entries for any Kline stores. So I guess that tells us when Kline's went out of business.

Was the restaurant called by any chance the "Sea Food Restaurant"? That is the only listed name of any non-chain restaurant in The Landing that I could "sea"

I lived in Independence only from date of birth to pre-kindergarten. My recollections come mostly from my parents owing businesses in Independence, having to go to work with Mom over summer and holiday vacations. Plus my grandparents lived just a few blocks west of The Square.

Fond memories indeed, and this thread with all its experts has helped expand my horizons. How I wish I had appreciated those days more. And been into photography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 PM

It's August

Still Summer Vacation . . . where is everybody?

Old 08-01-2020, 08:26 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It's August

Floating in the pool, waiting for someone to prod us with memories and/or questions about Independence.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 PM

Perhaps a few of you are old enough to remember the Independence Sanitarium and Hospital when it occupied the tower. Do you recall the main foyer? Was it a one-story or two-story foyer?

Both! Originally built as a two-story foyer, in December of 1956 work was begun to convert the wasted space of the upper portion of the foyer into additional hospital rooms for the second floor.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:41 PM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
Quote:
It's August

Waiting on you to come up with an interesting subject!

Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM

267 posts, read 158,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps a few of you are old enough to remember the Independence Sanitarium and Hospital when it occupied the tower. Do you recall the main foyer? Was it a one-story or two-story foyer?

I was there copious times. The Mrs. took all her Nurses training there (until I took her away from all that..). I would have been 6 when the foyer was modified, so I don't remember that.

Both! Originally built as a two-story foyer, in December of 1956 work was begun to convert the wasted space of the upper portion of the foyer into additional hospital rooms for the second floor.
I was there copious times. The Mrs. took all her Nurses training there (until I took her away from all that..). I would have been 6 when the foyer was modified, so I don't remember that.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Waiting on you to come up with an interesting subject!
Ok it's the Dog Days, so let's re-live the daze of swimming pools

The Natatorium

Sugar Creek Pool

Cool Crest

Rockwood Country Club

What else?

Doutt's Lake? Should we count that? Sure, why not?

Thoughts? Memories? Near-drownings?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
I don't remember it either, but I do recall the main building since DOB

The wife likes to say I likely popped out bitchin' and screamin'

I have no idea why she'd say that

Old 08-09-2020, 09:59 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg dallas View Post
i don't remember it either, but i do recall the main building since dob

the wife likes to say i likely popped out bitchin' and screamin'

i have no idea why she'd say that
Looks like they disabled emojis again. I had tried to post three laughing faces.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Ok it's the Dog Days, so let's re-live the daze of swimming pools

The Natatorium

Sugar Creek Pool

Cool Crest

Rockwood Country Club

What else?

Doutt's Lake? Should we count that? Sure, why not?

Thoughts? Memories? Near-drownings?

Sun 'n' Something up on Dickinson Road north of 24 Hiway, The Jaycees Pool off Salisbury east of Jennings, and I'm sure there are others, such as Highleah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City