Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 10:05 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
OK... who owns a bus to haul us around in? Probably better make it handicapped accessible though....
DAMN. We’re not THAT old !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 05:15 AM

14,169 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
In particular, a GGGFather who was associated with the founding of the Blue Mills (and he married the owner's daughter, smart guy!), a cofounder of the Six Mile Baptist Church (where I attended a service in 2013 and saw an article about him from The KC Star Sunday Magazine, 1974). Pearl Wilcox I think it was, said he at one time owned the largest homestead in Jackson County.

No one ever mentioned this ancestor. I believe he lost his property from the confiscatory, unconstitutional General Order No, 11 (for you Civil War and Constitutional buffs) George Bingham, who adamantly opposed this Order, subsequently painted a famous mural of a scene
"Order No. 11" is part of the collection of the Kansas City Museum of History and Science. I remember seeing the painting on a school field trip to the museum in fifth grade.

I think this was in retaliation for "bleeding Kansas," the conflict over that state's entry into the Union that I refer to as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War." Most of the pro-slavery forces would ride from Missouri across the border into Kansas and flood meetings to vote in favor of the pro-slavery state constitution. These groups of "border ruffians" would also terrorize Free Soilers who attempted to vote at meetings.

ISTR the term "bushwhacker" also was coined to refer to this bunch.

The conflict continued even after the war began and Kansas had been admitted to the Union as a free state in 1861, the year the war started officially. One of the more notorious events was the raid on the free-soil redoubt of Lawrence (most of whose residents, I understand, came from New England abolitionist stock) by a band of pro-Confederates led by one William Quantrill in 1863 as revenge for the collapse of a women's prison in the town (the prison had held many Confederate sympathizers). Quantrill's raiders burned the town to the ground, which is why the Lawrence city seal bears the date 1863 in addition to its founding date of 1858 and depicts a phoenix rising from a burning building.

(My mom was a Jayhawk — a double Jayhawk, for that matter: KU BSN 1954, KU MSN 1970, the first Black woman to receive both nursing degrees from the school.)

Order No. 11 cleared four counties bordering Kansas, except for the urban places (Town of Kansas, Westport, Independence, Harrisonville, Hickman Mills) of all residents who could not prove loyalty to the Union, whose property Gen. Thomas Ewing then ordered destroyed.

Actually, I see from this page and this page on the Kansas City Public Library's "Civil War on the Western Border" website that Gen. Ewing owned the building in Kansas City that served as the women's prison whose collapse triggered Quantrill's raid. Order No. 11, then, was issued in retaliation for the sacking of Lawrence. Guess he took it personally.

Of course, the terms that arose from this period continue to have resonance today. Several media outlets — and one of several articles on the Power & Light District I wrote for Next City — used the term "border war" to refer to the economically destructive "job creation" strategy pursued by Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, who in effect gave away the store to any business on the Missouri side of State Line Road that moved across it. Missouri, which had to offer its own equally destructive tax "incentives' in order to hold onto some of those jobs, sued for peace at least twice that I can recall, only to have Brownback and the state legislature rebuff the offers. It wasn't until Browback's giveaways cratered not only the school budgets of several of the Kansas City area's best school districts but also the state budget itself that the legislature finally overrode the Governor's veto of a tax hike, an act that was soon followed by the voters replacing his handpicked successor with a Democrat who finally stopped the battle.

Quote:
Polk's, the year before my birth, had my parents living in an apt house on Pendleton. Unable to find this address on Google Maps, it eventually occurred to me this block was torn down to enable more parking for the RLDS Auditorium (isn't that where we all graduated HS?) So I joke to my wife I was "conceived on God's Country"

Lastly, Ancestry. com led to AncestryDNA.com whereupon I re-discovered communication with a first cousin, north of the River. We subsequently have become great friends and were even lucky enough to get together just days before COVID shut down so much

So yeah, I owe alot to this thread Many thanks to Sally and to all of you.
Of course, you know that after he declared the Second Coming would take place in Independence, Joseph Smith decided he had to find another site for that event after a lukewarm welcome at best from his neighbors. He and his followers set out for a place where they wouldn't get hassled, eventually landing on the western side of the Wasatch Mountains near the Great Salt Lake and establishing what would eventually become the state of Utah.

And you know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints owns Ancestry.com, right? (Mormons need to know their family trees so they can baptize their ancestors into the church.)

The RLDSers — the ones who decided Independence was The Place and that they needed to go no further — have renamed themselves the Community of Christ and redesigned their auditorium to feature a futuristic Mormonesque spire atop its dome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The second Electric Park was just east of The Paseo and north of Brush Creek. That site is now an apartment complex.
The Village Green Apartments. I know them very well.

Gates' and Sons' Bar-B-Q makes its headquarters in what used to be its strip shopping center.

Apropos of nothing and FWIW, if you would like to know a little of my background, you can find it in this article I wrote for the 2019 September Schools Issue of Philadelphia magazine:

Ignore the Rankings: Why the Best School for Your Child Is Probably the One in Your Neighborhood | Philadelphia Magazine

I consider it karmic in hindsight that the grade school I attended in Kansas City was William Rockhill Nelson. My mom had me transferred there from out of district the moment I was old enough to attend kindergarten. Hd she not enrolled me in Pembroke-Country Day in seventh grade, I would have gone on to attend George Caleb Bingham Junior High School.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:19 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

I consider it karmic in hindsight that the grade school I attended in Kansas City was William Rockhill Nelson.

A timely bit of information. There are at least two relevant connections between Mr. Nelson and my story about Mr. Winner.

First person(s) to correctly identify those connections gets a free trolley ride.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 AM

267 posts, read 158,313 times
Quote:
"Order No. 11" is part of the collection of the Kansas City Museum of History and Science. I remember seeing the painting on a school field trip to the museum in fifth grade.

I think this was in retaliation for "bleeding Kansas," the conflict over that state's entry into the Union that I refer to as "the dress rehearsal for the Civil War." Most of the pro-slavery forces would ride from Missouri across the border into Kansas and flood meetings to vote in favor of the pro-slavery state constitution. These groups of "border ruffians" would also terrorize Free Soilers who attempted to vote at meetings.

ISTR the term "bushwhacker" also was coined to refer to this bunch.

The conflict continued even after the war began and Kansas had been admitted to the Union as a free state in 1861, the year the war started officially. One of the more notorious events was the raid on the free-soil redoubt of Lawrence (most of whose residents, I understand, came from New England abolitionist stock) by a band of pro-Confederates led by one William Quantrill in 1863 as revenge for the collapse of a women's prison in the town (the prison had held many Confederate sympathizers). Quantrill's raiders burned the town to the ground, which is why the Lawrence city seal bears the date 1863 in addition to its founding date of 1858 and depicts a phoenix rising from a burning building.

(My mom was a Jayhawk — a double Jayhawk, for that matter: KU BSN 1954, KU MSN 1970, the first Black woman to receive both nursing degrees from the school.)

Order No. 11 cleared four counties bordering Kansas, except for the urban places (Town of Kansas, Westport, Independence, Harrisonville, Hickman Mills) of all residents who could not prove loyalty to the Union, whose property Gen. Thomas Ewing then ordered destroyed.

Actually, I see from this page and this page on the Kansas City Public Library's "Civil War on the Western Border" website that Gen. Ewing owned the building in Kansas City that served as the women's prison whose collapse triggered Quantrill's raid. Order No. 11, then, was issued in retaliation for the sacking of Lawrence. Guess he took it personally.

Of course, the terms that arose from this period continue to have resonance today. Several media outlets — and one of several articles on the Power & Light District I wrote for Next City — used the term "border war" to refer to the economically destructive "job creation" strategy pursued by Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, who in effect gave away the store to any business on the Missouri side of State Line Road that moved across it. Missouri, which had to offer its own equally destructive tax "incentives' in order to hold onto some of those jobs, sued for peace at least twice that I can recall, only to have Brownback and the state legislature rebuff the offers. It wasn't until Browback's giveaways cratered not only the school budgets of several of the Kansas City area's best school districts but also the state budget itself that the legislature finally overrode the Governor's veto of a tax hike, an act that was soon followed by the voters replacing his handpicked successor with a Democrat who finally stopped the battle.

Of course, you know that after he declared the Second Coming would take place in Independence, Joseph Smith decided he had to find another site for that event after a lukewarm welcome at best from his neighbors. He and his followers set out for a place where they wouldn't get hassled, eventually landing on the western side of the Wasatch Mountains near the Great Salt Lake and establishing what would eventually become the state of Utah.

And you know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints owns Ancestry.com, right? (Mormons need to know their family trees so they can baptize their ancestors into the church.)

The RLDSers — the ones who decided Independence was The Place and that they needed to go no further — have renamed themselves the Community of Christ and redesigned their auditorium to feature a futuristic Mormonesque spire atop its dome.

The Village Green Apartments. I know them very well.

Gates' and Sons' Bar-B-Q makes its headquarters in what used to be its strip shopping center.

Apropos of nothing and FWIW, if you would like to know a little of my background, you can find it in this article I wrote for the 2019 September Schools Issue of Philadelphia magazine:

Ignore the Rankings: Why the Best School for Your Child Is Probably the One in Your Neighborhood | Philadelphia Magazine

I consider it karmic in hindsight that the grade school I attended in Kansas City was William Rockhill Nelson. My mom had me transferred there from out of district the moment I was old enough to attend kindergarten. Hd she not enrolled me in Pembroke-Country Day in seventh grade, I would have gone on to attend George Caleb Bingham Junior High School.

You are wrong on 2 points at least.

Brigham Young was responsible for the move to Utah.

The Auditorium does NOT have a spire added; the Temple Building adjacent to it has a spire as part of its design. Also, I'll bet a LOT of churches will be surprised to learn that the spires on their buildings are 'mormonesque'.

Finally, the term "RLDSers" is offensive. You might want to rethink its use.

Last edited by dmouse; 03-29-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 08:23 AM

Quote:
You are wrong on 2 points at least.

Brigham Young was responsible for the move to Utah.

The Auditorium does NOT have a spire added; the Temple Building adjacent to it has a spire as part of its design. Also, I'll bet a LOT of churches will be surprised to learn that the spires on their buildings are 'mormonesque'.

Finally, the term "RLDSers" is offensive. You might want to rethink its use.
So noted on that last part; I was unaware and apologize.

Also, sorry for confusing the Temple with the Auditorium. True, spires are a central element of most Christian churches, but the spires (and architecture) of Mormon temples stand out in my mind (especially because most Mormon temples have more than one, and often of differing heights). I was no doubt associating the (very striking and futuristic) spire of the Community of Christ Temple with those on the temples of its historic (and in some ways still spiritual) soulmate in assessing it. I think we can agree that in truth, it resembles no spire found on any other Christian church building.

Did Joseph Smith make it to Independence? I thought he did.

Edited to add: I will confess that I knew no members of the RLDS Church growing up save maybe one, and after doing a little reading on the denomination, I see that it differs to a good degree from both the Mormon Church and other Latter-day Saint denominations, especially in its peace-and-justice mission and its adoption of certain more traditional elements of Christian worship, such as the concept of God as three-in-one being. I'm surprised, however, given the role temples play in LDS religious communities, that the Community of Christ did not get around to building one in its headquarters city until 1994. (Then again, it took the church 32 years to complete the Auditorium.) I do note that the CofC takes, or took, pride in having leaders with a direct family connection to Joseph Smith up until the president after the one who proceeded with the construction of the Independence Temple.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 03-29-2021 at 08:40 AM..

Old 03-29-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
So noted on that last part; I was unaware and apologize.

Also, sorry for confusing the Temple with the Auditorium. True, spires are a central element of most Christian churches, but the spires (and architecture) of Mormon temples stand out in my mind (especially because most Mormon temples have more than one, and often of differing heights). I was no doubt associating the (very striking and futuristic) spire of the Community of Christ Temple with those on the temples of its historic (and in some ways still spiritual) soulmate in assessing it. I think we can agree that in truth, it resembles no spire found on any other Christian church building.

Did Joseph Smith make it to Independence? I thought he did.

Edited to add: I will confess that I knew no members of the RLDS Church growing up save maybe one, and after doing a little reading on the denomination, I see that it differs to a good degree from both the Mormon Church and other Latter-day Saint denominations, especially in its peace-and-justice mission and its adoption of certain more traditional elements of Christian worship, such as the concept of God as three-in-one being. I'm surprised, however, given the role temples play in LDS religious communities, that the Community of Christ did not get around to building one in its headquarters city until 1994. (Then again, it took the church 32 years to complete the Auditorium.) I do note that the CofC takes, or took, pride in having leaders with a direct family connection to Joseph Smith up until the president after the one who proceeded with the construction of the Independence Temple.

Apology accepted, thank you.

I don't recall off the top of my head if Joseph made it to Independence. I find that lots of those facts learned long ago seem to be bolting for the exits.....

Re: the Temple building. Its shape is inspired by the Conch shell, with the disappearing in the distance top symbolizing the journey into infinity. (You should see it when you look up from inside!) It was not built until the President of the Church received divine inspiration to proceed. I don't know if it should really be called a 'spire', as it is actually part of another object / shape all together.

It took so long to complete the Auditorium because it cost a lot of money at the time, and then, there was that little thing known as 'the great depression'!

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2021, 01:51 PM

239 posts, read 257,157 times
Wanted to post this link while I was thinking of it. I received an email about a week ago stating Jackson County Historical Society had digitized a lot of their records!

https://jchs.odyssey.historyit.com/p...digitalhistory

Old 03-29-2021, 04:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Wanted to post this link while I was thinking of it. I received an email about a week ago stating Jackson County Historical Society had digitized a lot of their records!

https://jchs.odyssey.historyit.com/p...digitalhistory

Many thanks, I have been anticipating the release of this collection!

Old 03-29-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
DAMN. We’re not THAT old !

I nominate MAD to chair and oversee the "party bus committee", for a date to be determined this summer.

A-C is a must. Stripper pole optional. Must have soft seats, and promise not to exceed the speed limit at any time.

Please keep us up to date MAD!

Old 03-30-2021, 02:43 AM

Quote:
I nominate MAD to chair and oversee the "party bus committee", for a date to be determined this summer.

A-C is a must. Stripper pole optional. Must have soft seats, and promise not to exceed the speed limit at any time.

Please keep us up to date MAD!
If you all are so adventurous as to want to trek all the way to "AC", I'd be glad to meet and greet you when the bus arrives in Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City