Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2021, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
James Browning was the central character, he was a County detective and was made to look like a bumbling person on the program, especially when he hid in the trunk of a car with a tape recorder and was bounced around hitting his head and unable to control his recorder.

Sharon Kinne was in the front seat with James Boldzis. Boldzis knew the detective was there and was trying to get her say she killed someone. It did not work.

Browning had an assistant who I dont believe was named in the program and he was also made out to be somewhat of a bumbler.
I’m quite sure my grandfather would find it interesting to be referred to as bumbling, I do know that at times Pop felt like he was bumbling with this case. He always said he felt like she was alive and well, likely in Mexico. At the time of his death in 2006, he still considered this case to be one of his biggest frustrations because Dana never got justice for the death of her father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 07:00 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Give Thanks with a grateful heart!

I am thankful that I was born and raised in The Heartland, with lots of good people and a good dose of history.

I am thankful for all those who share their memories here.

Your turn...

Old 11-25-2021, 03:51 PM

267 posts, read 158,411 times
Mad, I couldn't have said it better. Thank you.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:54 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

I am thankful that I was born and raised in The Heartland, with lots of good people and a good dose of history.

Your turn...
Even though I no longer live in the Heartland, what you said.

Old 12-02-2021, 09:43 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Your turn...
"Sing a song about The Heartland"

Yes, I feel the same and wish I had taken more advantage of growing up there. I think back often to those days and just recently took out a subscription to Newspapers and have had alot of fun looking back at the news, sports, even the advertisements.

If anyone wants me to look something up post it here or DM me I can share clippings via email

Merry Christmas to all

Old 12-21-2021, 07:45 AM

Well, gee, where is everybody? Out Christmas shopping? (Don't forget me)

Remembering the Christmas Daze Past. Having to go to the store nightly til closing (9 PM), fast food on the way home and straight to bed, visiting Santa @ TG&Y and @ various The Square establishments. All the decorations, outdoors and inside stores

Then after Christmas Day, hanging out with my Independence buddies (several being dmouse's skoolmates) Man, could it get cold walking to/from and meandering The Square. I remember one incident where we'all order something like Icee drinks (7-Up-ish) probably @ Velvet Freeze, then walked outside in the bitter cold. OUCH

Any other fond youthful Christmas remembrances?

Old 12-21-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrowning99 View Post
I’m quite sure my grandfather would find it interesting to be referred to as bumbling, I do know that at times Pop felt like he was bumbling with this case. He always said he felt like she was alive and well, likely in Mexico. At the time of his death in 2006, he still considered this case to be one of his biggest frustrations because Dana never got justice for the death of her father.
The episode "Luck Be A Lady" on A Crime to Remember (ID Discovery reruns/On Demand) for some reason added Hollywood-ish attempted humorous touch, especially to Sharon, almost making her out to be some sort of charming killer. I have no doubt your GF put forth his best effort and the depiction was put there for the overall effect of how the case encountered one stumbling block after another ("Sharon kept dealing Aces")

As I have mentioned on this thread before, the Kinne case(s) was the first local news reports I ever recall seeing. WCHS' post brought the case back to mind and I have subsequently read alot about it, including a book (I'm Just An Ordinary Girl by James C Hayes

Interesting the Mexico angle. One theory was the family of the deceased bribed the prison authorities to stage a fire (was it?) so Sharon could "escape" and the family take retribution in its own hands

Regardless, she was never heard from again

If she escaped and survived, it's like she's dead now, shoveling coal for eternity. If you see this message, I'd like to hear more if you are so willing. TIA Fascinating case. Merry Christmas

Old 12-21-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Well, gee, where is everybody? Out Christmas shopping? (Don't forget me)

Remembering the Christmas Daze Past. Having to go to the store nightly til closing (9 PM), fast food on the way home and straight to bed, visiting Santa @ TG&Y and @ various The Square establishments. All the decorations, outdoors and inside stores

Then after Christmas Day, hanging out with my Independence buddies (several being dmouse's skoolmates) Man, could it get cold walking to/from and meandering The Square. I remember one incident where we'all order something like Icee drinks (7-Up-ish) probably @ Velvet Freeze, then walked outside in the bitter cold. OUCH

Any other fond youthful Christmas remembrances?

My paper routes had their own special Christmas memories. The first route I had was residential, and as was typical in those days most of the customers paid me directly once a month. I always made sure I did my collections a bit before Christmas. My route was mostly working class folk, but most tipped me a bit for Christmas, some even gave me yummy baked goods. Just like in the movies my richest customer in the nicest house didn't even give me a Merry Christmas greeting. Yes, you would probably know her if I was to share her name, as she owned some notable properties about town.

I remember how fat and heavy The Examiner became between Thanksgiving and Christmas. On some days it was almost too much to carry. Most of us carriers used the double bag, which had equally sized pouches front and back. This bag could be rigged to hang from the handlebars of a bicycle. Doing so required the avoidance of sudden turns, which could set the bags to swinging wildly resulting in a loss of control. Papers would be removed from the bags alternately to keep the bike in balance.

If it was too snowy or icy for bike riding I would walk the route, and later when I switched to the Uptown route I always walked. This required a different strategy for the bag. On big paper days both pouches would be loaded. As deliveries depleted the front pouch it became necessary to rotate the bag to keep from choking yourself. On smaller paper days I could often get by using only the front pouch.

Any other former paperboys out there?

Old 12-22-2021, 03:03 PM

267 posts, read 158,411 times
Another paperboy here........still bitter that in over 4 years with the Examiner, I never got a Christmas tip.

No comments please................

Old 12-22-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Another paperboy here........still bitter that in over 4 years with the Examiner, I never got a Christmas tip.

No comments please................

Well, if'n my estimates are correct, wouldn't you have been a paperboy during the Great Depression? If so that may have affected the tipping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City