Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Flickr: The Blue Ridge West Cinema: Independence, Missouri Pool
There are a number of photos at the above web site.

The Blue Ridge Mall was located in three cities, I think, K.C., Independence, and Raytown.

I think most, if not all, of the theater site was in Independence.

In the fifties that gated estate on east 39th Street was the home of Phil Weeks, who was head of a huge construction contract operation in Independence and the area. He was also at one time the mayor of Independence and the head of the Missouri Municipal League.
The BR Mall was 98.723% (my estimate!) within KC. Parts of the parking lot and a small corner of the Jones Store fell within Independence. Raytown is about 9 blocks south. The BR Cinema East was entirely in Independence, the West entirely in KC. What a headache for their accountant!

I did get inside that fancy house once during its occupancy by Vaughn. It was impressive, but I don't recall details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 02:05 PM

18 posts, read 21,490 times
I believe the Blue Ridge cinema is no more. I came by there this weekend and there was nothing but bare ground.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0650 View Post
I believe the Blue Ridge cinema is no more. I came by there this weekend and there was nothing but bare ground.
Plans have been approved to redevelop that site. The main tenant will be Burlington Coat Factory.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;29639154]Now may be an appropriate time to post this!

One of the principal owners (or maybe the only) was Luva Vaughn, a local millionaire businessman who at one time lived in the gated estate on the north side of 39th just east of River.

I sure didn't realize River ran that far south. When did it extend to 40 Highway? I had my first fender-bender and have been by Norfleet/40 a zillion times and sure don't remember River on the flip side. StreetView shows it to be a relatively recent pavement but as I "walk" north, I see 60s era houses around 43rd (tri-levels). So I'm guessing it River was there at 39th and went several blocks south, then was extended all the way to 40 some time later?

Also sure don't remember the Vaughn house but maybe it's just been too many years. Not sure why we would have driven east along 39th altho Crysler was a part of the commute.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
As an aside, the Moore OK tornado reminded me it was a mere 56 years ago tonight of the previously-mentioned Ruskin Heights tornado.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
It's the Blue Ridge Cinema East, as opposed to Blue Ridge Cinema West downstairs at the Blue Ridge Mall itself.

This photo shows five auditoriums whereas it opened with four. Sometime along the line they added another auditorium--somewhere.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 05-21-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
This photo shows five auditoriums whereas it opened with four. Sometime along the line they added another auditorium--somewhere.
Yup, they sure did! The 5th was added at the rear, and was the largest of them all. It was wedged shaped, rather than the rectangular pattern the others had.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:32 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
At one time if you renewed your license plate in Independence (and the rest of the state) you had to do it in person and you received a "1950", printed on a small metal tab with dog ears on each side. As far as I can remember the Missouri plates were always maroon with white lettering back then.

The dog ears on the tab were bent backward by the recipient and placed in holes on the upper right side of the license plate and then crimped in the back. At some point this metal tab was replaced with a self adhering sticker. I dont recall if many of these tabs went missing from theft but I recall some tabs hanging by one dog ear. The first stickers issued with the year were not very reliable either.

Registration was at the beginning of each year for everyone and there was a two month or so grace period before the police started ticketing.

Additionally, one had to "register" the car in Independence each year and that also had to be picked up in person. A city sticker decal was issued to place in the lower right or lower left inside of the windshield. The Independence decal featured a "Queen City of the Trails" title along with the year of issue and a serial number. The old decal was scraped off and a new one placed in the same place. I think the color changed each year to aid the police in detecting who had and who had not renewed theirs.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:44 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:
At one time if you renewed your license plate in Independence (and the rest of the state) you had to do it in person and you received a "1950", printed on a small metal tab with dog ears on each side. As far as I can remember the Missouri plates were always maroon with white lettering back then.

The dog ears on the tab were bent backward by the recipient and placed in holes on the upper right side of the license plate and then crimped in the back. At some point this metal tab was replaced with a self adhering sticker. I dont recall if many of these tabs went missing from theft but I recall some tabs hanging by one dog ear. The first stickers issued with the year were not very reliable either.

Registration was at the beginning of each year for everyone and there was a two month or so grace period before the police started ticketing.

Additionally, one had to "register" the car in Independence each year and that also had to be picked up in person. A city sticker decal was issued to place in the lower right or lower left inside of the windshield. The Independence decal featured a "Queen City of the Trails" title along with the year of issue and a serial number. The old decal was scraped off and a new one placed in the same place. I think the color changed each year to aid the police in detecting who had and who had not renewed theirs.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Okay Doc, time for confession! Is there anything Independence you don't have in your collection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City