Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,955 times

Advertisements

How about this to wash 'em down?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Probably about the time you popped into the world (maybe that was the reason?

No listing in 1960 Polk's and at 803 W. Lexington was the Independence Travel & Tour Service. I think my earlier post on the 803 address was from 1954, so some time in between.

I believe The Square and W. Lexington, et al were still very vibrant places in 1960. Although the BR Mall was in operation it wasn't until the mid 60s and later when I remember The Square losing businesses and Noland Rd starting to become an overcrowded overcommercialized eyesore. I'm sure many of the car dealers like Galen Boyer were still around until . . . ???

This should answer at least part of your question:

Cable-Dahmer buys two other car dealerships - Independence, MO - The Examiner

Old 05-30-2013, 01:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
In a tin can that required holes be punched on each side with a "church key." Two punches were needed--one to drink out of and the other to let air in so the contents could easily flow out.

Remember the first aluminum cans to hold beer had a a ring manufactured into the top which was pulled and and a tab came out that was large enough to let air in and drink at the same time.

The ring was being thrown away wherever the can was opened littering the countryside so the current pull tab evolved. Now, the entire can is thrown away by many littering the countryside.

I can recall some folks pulling the tab and putting it into the contents to keep from littering.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
Quote:
Good idea! You come into town, and we'll do just that! I do know though, that the road I was on was Oakland School Road, whether it was actually "Seven Hills" or not. There is a small house just west of Oakland Church (behind it was Oakland Cemetary) where first my Grandparents, then an Aunt and Uncle lived. Just east of the church was Oakland School and the road that was later named after it. One day when I was visiting my Grandparents, an Uncle asked if I wanted to go down "Seven Hills", so I went. Oh, and I don't remember a stop sign except at either end at Truman and BB hiway. I think Flynn Road is too flat and has curves and Argo has a stop sign and the hills aren't as steep.
On Memorial Day, 99.9% confirmed that Oakland School Road contains the seven hills. Did not count them, though. Now, I was sane with my driving, but that first large hill off Truman Road was a lulu.

The road is rough paved, now.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
In a tin can that required holes be punched on each side with a "church key." Two punches were needed--one to drink out of and the other to let air in so the contents could easily flow out.

Remember the first aluminum cans to hold beer had a a ring manufactured into the top which was pulled and and a tab came out that was large enough to let air in and drink at the same time.

The ring was being thrown away wherever the can was opened littering the countryside so the current pull tab evolved. Now, the entire can is thrown away by many littering the countryside.

I can recall some folks pulling the tab and putting it into the contents to keep from littering.
When I was a kid, we as a family would go to the drive-in theater quite often. At such times, my brother and I would go around the lot (both before the movies started, and in between each one) collecting pull tabs. We ended up with so many, we decided to make them into a chain that wrapped several times around the top of the walls of each of our bedrooms. Sure would like to have all that aluminum, NOW!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Those places sure beat the hell outta McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, et al. DariGold at 24/River had THEE FINEST hamburgers (altho our friend Sally disagrees, preferring Winsteads). Banana splits and French fried shrimp too. Ahhhhhh
Wow, you're making me feel young! This is another joint I don't remember. Which corner was it on?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Wow, you're making me feel young! This is another joint I don't remember. Which corner was it on?
It was on the NE corner, across River from Kroger/24 Hiway SC. I'm sure it was there at least 1970 as my buddy, who lived a few houses away, told me they always had a large Coke waiting for him as he drove home from WCHS. There actually is a photo of it in one of the WCHS football programs (or maybe it was the yearbook) as the owner was an advertiser. I have the pic somewhere of the ad but don't know how to post them here. You can see the Kroger sign barely in the background.

It seems to me Allied Shoes was on the SE corner and a service station, perhaps a Standard on the SW.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Those places sure beat the hell outta McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, et al. DariGold at 24/River had THEE FINEST hamburgers (altho our friend Sally disagrees, preferring Winsteads). Banana splits and French fried shrimp too. Ahhhhhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Are you speaking of the photo I posted of a Maid-Rite? That's the one in Lexington, Mo. on the southeast corner of Main(224) and 14th st. If you meant the DariGold, it was on the northwest corner of 23rd and 71 Bypass. You posted a photo of it. The first shot shows the empty lot, looking west across 71 Bypass. The second show DariGold at the top right of the photo from south bound 71 Bypass.

Remember, now?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:24 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
It was on the NE corner, across River from Kroger/24 Hiway SC. I'm sure it was there at least 1970 as my buddy, who lived a few houses away, told me they always had a large Coke waiting for him as he drove home from WCHS. There actually is a photo of it in one of the WCHS football programs (or maybe it was the yearbook) as the owner was an advertiser. I have the pic somewhere of the ad but don't know how to post them here. You can see the Kroger sign barely in the background.

It seems to me Allied Shoes was on the SE corner and a service station, perhaps a Standard on the SW.
Seems to me you are describing Hi-Boy, which is still there, although in a newer building. They serve my favorite local burger, much better than Winstead's (sorry Sally). Many of my childhood shoes came from Allied, that building burned and they moved east, across from Kiddie-Land. The Standard Station was demolished and rebuilt in the newer convenience store style, currently flagged as BP. The Kroger is now a Thriftway.

Quote:
Are you speaking of the photo I posted of a Maid-Rite? That's the one in Lexington, Mo. on the southeast corner of Main(224) and 14th st. If you meant the DariGold, it was on the northwest corner of 23rd and 71 Bypass. You posted a photo of it. The first shot shows the empty lot, looking west across 71 Bypass. The second show DariGold at the top right of the photo from south bound 71 Bypass.

Remember, now?
I forgot the name of the joint at 23rd & 71 By-Pass, but I do remember taking those photos. I don't think I dined there more than once or twice.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:17 AM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;29807151]Seems to me you are describing Hi-Boy, which is still there, although in a newer building. They serve my favorite local burger, much better than Winstead's (sorry Sally). Many of my childhood shoes came from Allied, that building burned and they moved east, across from Kiddie-Land. The Standard Station was demolished and rebuilt in the newer convenience store style, currently flagged as BP. The Kroger is now a Thriftway.

If I'm not mistaken when Allied went out, it became a thrift store, and presently, it is Comfort Dental.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City