Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 04:46 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

A lot going on inside but not much outside.
Perhaps we should sneak inside for a look-about!

http://www.jacksongov.org/content/91...9252/9254.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Perhaps we should sneak inside for a look-about!

Jackson County - Historic Truman Courthouse Interior Renovations
Curiously, the company doing the improvements lists a number of other projects and provides some photos of their finished work on their website but does not mention the courthouse. Perhaps when the work is finished...

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I'll take that challenge. First I'll reveal that this house is next door to the former residence of the Swaim family, of the Swaim Insurance Agency. More later...

Would you be referring to the Laursen family? Or perhaps the next occupants, the Plank bunch?

Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,274 times
Quote:
Would you be referring to the Laursen family? Or perhaps the next occupants, the Plank bunch?

UNCLE! You win!! I quit!!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
UNCLE! You win!! I quit!!
For you mere mortals, the house is at 16914 E M-78, aka 23rd ST. This places it just east of M-291, or west of Jimmy D's road, aka James Downey.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Where is this really old staircase?

It goes up to the landing then turns and continues on to the second floor, then continues on to a third floor.

That is not the grand entry in the background. The grand entry is to the left out of view.
The Bingham-Waggoner estate on West Pacific. Below is an outside photo of the rear of the house. According to the guide, Allis Chalmers wanted to purchase the estate, raze it, and build a parking lot.

The city and a group saved it, I think in the 80s. Allis Chalmers has now been gone for some years to Hesston, Ks.

The air conditioner in the second window is a current day office in one of the bedrooms.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,274 times
Mad already knows where this is, but I wanted to post it anyway. This is one of my first very crude attempts at creating a panoramic photo from three separate ones. The quality of the originals left a lot to be desired!

Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The Bingham-Waggoner estate on West Pacific. Below is an outside photo of the rear of the house. According to the guide, Allis Chalmers wanted to purchase the estate, raze it, and build a parking lot.

The city and a group saved it, I think in the 80s. Allis Chalmers has now been gone for some years to Hesston, Ks.

The air conditioner in the second window is a current day office in one of the bedrooms.

Some of my cousins lived on Liberty, just one block over. We spent many a summer day playing in the crick that runs across the south field of the estate. I wonder if any of the forts we built still survive?

Quote:
Mad already knows where this is, but I wanted to post it anyway. This is one of my first very crude attempts at creating a panoramic photo from three separate ones. The quality of the originals left a lot to be desired!

I see a place of significance for you!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Spring Branch Elementary School, I presume.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM

This is the rehabbed two-room out house at the Bingham-Waggoner mansion.

The guide did not mention the significance of the two rooms. I think rather than being male-female, they may have been black-white.

I wonder if the window was opaque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City