Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 12:16 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

If I am on the right track, I had forgotten all about this situation.

I took a look at the photo this morning and decided right off I did not know what or where it was.
But then after some thought it came to me that this might be the Courtney Road closure at M-291. Courtney Road, I think, was closed in the late fifties or early sixties due to the road seriously caving in from underground mining, I think. I cannot recall where the west closure began but think it was a short distance off Kentucky.

The word at the time was that the road would be permanently closed due either to lack of money vs the benefit of repairing the huge damage or the damage was just too extensive to repair. However, a few years ago I was on that stretch and wondered how they were able to reopen the road.

I think Courtney in that area was in Jackson County at the time and may be in Sugar Creek today.

If this is correct, how about some history on the re-opening.
And, I could be confusing this with River Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 01:32 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Quote:

If I am on the right track, I had forgotten all about this situation.

I took a look at the photo this morning and decided right off I did not know what or where it was.
But then after some thought it came to me that this might be the Courtney Road closure at M-291. Courtney Road, I think, was closed in the late fifties or early sixties due to the road seriously caving in from underground mining, I think. I cannot recall where the west closure began but think it was a short distance off Kentucky.

The word at the time was that the road would be permanently closed due either to lack of money vs the benefit of repairing the huge damage or the damage was just too extensive to repair. However, a few years ago I was on that stretch and wondered how they were able to reopen the road.

I think Courtney in that area was in Jackson County at the time and may be in Sugar Creek today.

If this is correct, how about some history on the re-opening.
Quote:
And, I could be confusing this with River Road.
Yes, this is the location you are thinking of. It is the old N. River Blvd./ E. Courtney Atherton Rd. Mad's photo is a view to the west, from the east side of the intersection with old 291. East of this, the road crossed the top of the hill, passing several homes and a school, before descending the east side of the hill, down the hill to the old Courtney road. I have heard stories to the effect that Lafarge North America (i.e.Lafarge Courtney Ridge Quarry) is now, or is planning on attempting to fill in the caved in portion of the road. The new structure Lafarge has built just to the west of the highway, appears to be a vertical shaft mining rig. To my knowledge, there had previously been only horizontal shaft mining in that area.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:45 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Yes, this is the location you are thinking of. It is the old N. River Blvd./ E. Courtney Atherton Rd. Mad's photo is a view to the west, from the east side of the intersection with old 291. East of this, the road crossed the top of the hill, passing several homes and a school, before descending the east side of the hill, down the hill to the old Courtney road. I have heard stories to the effect that Lafarge North America (i.e.Lafarge Courtney Ridge Quarry) is now, or is planning on attempting to fill in the caved in portion of the road. The new structure Lafarge has built just to the west of the highway, appears to be a vertical shaft mining rig. To my knowledge, there had previously been only horizontal shaft mining in that area.
Right you are, old historically accurate one! As a misguided youth I rode my bike on the closed portion of road. There is a cemetery just NW of the gate. They have repaved a road to it.

For a stark contrast of then and now compare the 1963 aerial view (DL-2DD-058) with the nearly current Bing view.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Old 01-16-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Right you are, old historically accurate one! As a misguided youth I rode my bike on the closed portion of road. There is a cemetery just NW of the gate. They have repaved a road to it.

For a stark contrast of then and now compare the 1963 aerial view (DL-2DD-058) with the nearly current Bing view.

Jackson County Aerial Photographs, 1963 :: Aerial Photograph Collection

Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions
It seems to me when the road was first closed, a mere sign was put up announcing that the road was closed. Apparently, too many people ignored the sign and then the gate as shown in the photo was placed across the pavement.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM

The Queen City Motel, on 24 Highway in Sugar Creek, burned during the night.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
One of several very nice motels on US 24 in the early days.

In looking for information on the fire, I noted a couple things I came across while surfing.

A Missouri legislator from Harrisonville has introduced a bill to allow executions by firing squad in the state.

The eastern most part of the eleven square mile Sugar Creek area is in the Fort Osage school district.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:

No way! I walked by there many times to/fro Sterling Bowl and SC pool.

Was it totally destroyed?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
No way! I walked by there many times to/fro Sterling Bowl and SC pool.

Was it totally destroyed?
Not totally, but damage was heavy. Much of the roof was burned through.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Not totally, but damage was heavy. Much of the roof was burned through.

Sorry to hear that, I Googled News'd QCM and didnt see anything so I presumed it was minor damage.

One of the few "icons" from the Good Ol Daze I saw on my trip back . . .that and the Hi Boy of course

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Sorry to hear that, I Googled News'd QCM and didnt see anything so I presumed it was minor damage.

One of the few "icons" from the Good Ol Daze I saw on my trip back . . .that and the Hi Boy of course
They have finally posted a story about this...

Fire damages Sugar Creek motel | Local News - KMBC Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City