Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 08:18 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indepmo View Post
Mad, hope you don't mind but I was taken back by a couple of old images you posted and I just had to mend them together the best I could. It was almost as if you were using a tripod and you simply rotated the camera a few degrees.
Good job! I did not use a tripod, other than rotating my body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:40 AM

320 posts, read 310,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The construction is on Maple and Osage (better known to me as Western Auto across from Montgomery Wards, chuckle). That Mexican place is supposed to be coming in at that location.

In the lower building is where "Polly's Pop" is supposed to be coming soon for the last three years or so.
Looks like not much longer.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Looks like not much longer.
Holy Moly.

Thanks for that update.

I know they are calling it Polly's Pop but what are they actually going to do, or sell?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 AM

This morning, I was going through my registration and insurance cards in the glove box.

I recall when growing up in Independence when the registration ID was displayed on the round steering wheel shaft of a vehicle.

I was not driving yet and I don’t recall if that was a state requirement or whether some enterprising company was selling a display apparatus to display the card so it would not get lost and be handy when needed. The card went inside a clear plastic sleeve that had two metal eyelets on one side of the sleeve and metallic springs an inch or two long attached to the other side. The springs wrapped around the steering wheel shaft and hooked into the eyelets to hold the registration in place.

Having said that, I don’t remember my family ever being stopped for speeding in the forties and early fifties so I don’t know if the registration was actually required to be shown to an officer.

After I started driving, I don’t remember having to provide either the registration or proof of insurance when I was stopped. It was just driver’s license and sign here, chuckle.

I think maybe the insurance card is within the last thirty years or so.

Edit: speaking of the Devil

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-16-2014 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Holy Moly.

Thanks for that update.

I know they are calling it Polly's Pop but what are they actually going to do, or sell?

I'm still clueless on that.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Today's trivia question is from the game.

What was the name of the first book store in Independence?
Still don't know the name, but a couple of candidates for owner are, Eli P. Holbert or Jacob Addison. They were at one time or another book and stationery shop owners.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Still don't know the name, but a couple of candidates for owner are, Eli P. Holbert or Jacob Addison. They were at one time or another book and stationery shop owners.
Neither name matches the correct answer, which is...

Mills Bookstore.

The next time I'm at the library I'll check the early directories for more info on Mills.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Neither name matches the correct answer, which is...

Mills Bookstore.

The next time I'm at the library I'll check the early directories for more info on Mills.

From whence Mills Street was probably named--Between Hayward on the north and South on the south and Saville on the west and Haden on the east and cropping up again south of I-70 in the 4000 S. blocks.

Or perhaps, Mill Street, between Highway 24 on the north and College on the south and Nettleton on the east and Spring on the west.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM

Today's mystery has a definite, indisputable answer!

Identify the dude...

For extra credit give the location of this statue.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The first white "resident" of what was to become Independence and Jackson County, Missouri, was Daniel Morgan Boone, son of the Daniel Boone.

He arrived in 1798 five years before Lewis and Clark and spent 12 summers trapping beaver along the Big and Little Blue rivers.

He left for what was called Kanzas and later came back to Jackson County around the time Independence was founded.

He is buried in the Boone-Hayes cemetery at Ninth and Brooklyn in Kansas City .

That cemetery is at 63rd and Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City