Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The weapon was found at the site?

The killer lived near the site?

The victim lived near the site?

You're making this whole thing up?
Neither the victim nor killer lived there. It is a true story, which occurred on October 31st, 1966 and the following day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
There is a lot of excitement centered around the Truman Sports Complex. However, before the stadiums were built a different sort of excitement happened there. What tragic event in Independence had a major connection to that area?
Quote:
Actually none of the complex is in Independence, the closest we come is at 40 Highway & Blue Ridge Cutoff. The tragic event did not involve children. It did involve a "game-changing catch", to use a sports term.
Quote:
The tragic event took place in 1966.
Quote:
A killing was involved, but not there.
Quote:
Neither the victim nor killer lived there. It is a true story, which occurred on October 31st, 1966 and the following day.
The incident in Independence was a tragic part of a string of tragic events that started in St. Louis and ended in the Sports Complex area.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:42 PM

320 posts, read 309,818 times
Quote:
The incident in Independence was a tragic part of a string of tragic events that started in St. Louis and ended in the Sports Complex area.
Lieutenant David Kraxner October 31, 1966

Any connection with this name to the mystery you've given us?

Old 10-05-2014, 07:53 PM

Independence police again oppose Merola parole
Throughout his career working in law enforcement, Larry Porter has seen his share of cold-blooded killers.

But he said, however, that none of them compare to Lawrence Merola.

“He was just a cold-blooded SOB,” Porter said. “That’s what he was.”
emailprint

Lawrence Merola, 70, is serving life in prison for the shooting death of Independence Police Lt. David Kraxner in 1966 when Merola was 25. Police officers are petitioning against his upcoming parole bid.
Zoom
Missouri Department of CorrectionsLawrence Merola, 70, is serving life in prison for the shooting death of Independence Police Lt. David Kraxner in 1966 when Merola was 25. Police officers are petitioning against his upcoming parole bid.
By Jeff Martin - jeff.martin@examiner.net
Posted Nov. 17, 2011 @ 12:01 am
Updated Nov 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Independence, MO
Throughout his career working in law enforcement, Larry Porter has seen his share of cold-blooded killers.
Merola, 70, and behind bars now for 45 years in a St. Louis area prison, will face yet another parole hearing on Dec. 21. He was sentenced to life in prison, plus 39 years, for the killing of Independence police officer Lt. David Kraxner on Oct. 31, 1966.
Porter, who had transferred to the Independence Police Department from the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, knew Kraxner well. At the time of his death, Kraxner was Porter’s acting lieutenant.
The memory remains fresh in Porter’s mind and his telling of it comes quickly. He remembers getting the call on Halloween 1966 shortly after midnight. Unlike today, there was no 24-hour police protection; officers were on call. Porter was told only that an officer had been shot at U.S. 40 and Crysler Avenue.
Two captains and other officers were at the scene. Kraxner was there, dead, the victim of gunshots. Kraxner had pulled over Merola on a felony traffic stop. He had escaped from St. Louis police and was on the run after shooting a prison guard while being transported for trial. He then murdered another citizen and stole his car. When Kraxner saw the license plates that night, he pulled him over.
“He had a photographic memory, could remember license plates like you couldn’t believe,” Porter said.
The two exchanged gunfire almost immediately. Both men were wounded, but Merola was able to walk to Kraxner’s vehicle, where he then shot Kraxner in the chest. When police arrived, Merola had fled in Kraxner’s vehicle, pulling behind a house at 36th Street and Crysler. He waited there through the night, listening to the police radio.
When morning came, Merola drove past the crime scene. Police recognized the vehicle and gave chase. They eventually located him hiding under a trailer home in the 47th Street and Raytown Road area. He was taken to a local hospital.
Porter was one of the men who guarded Merola. At first he would say nothing, but on the third or fourth day, he asked Porter if he wanted to know what his lieutenant’s last words were.
“I said yeah, I did, and he said that Kraxner had said ‘Help me.’ So he shot him again in the chest,” Porter said.
Merola would later plead guilty in order to avoid the death penalty, and he was sentenced to life in prison.
The incident is etched on Porter’s mind, just as it’s etched on a memorial in front of the Independence Police Station. There’s also a memorial at the site where Kraxner was killed.
» Comment or view comments Prev12Next

Read more: Independence police again oppose Merola parole - News - Examiner - Independence, MO

Old 10-05-2014, 07:54 PM

Independence police again oppose Merola parole

emailprint

Lawrence Merola, 70, is serving life in prison for the shooting death of Independence Police Lt. David Kraxner in 1966 when Merola was 25. Police officers are petitioning against his upcoming parole bid.
Zoom
Missouri Department of CorrectionsLawrence Merola, 70, is serving life in prison for the shooting death of Independence Police Lt. David Kraxner in 1966 when Merola was 25. Police officers are petitioning against his upcoming parole bid.
Page 2 of 2 - Porter would later transfer from the Independence Police Department before returning to the Sheriff’s Office. He then moved on to a department in Iowa, eventually returning to Independence to work at the utilities department. He retired about seven years ago.
In the time since Kraxner’s murder, Porter has seen and heard of cold-blooded killers, but Merola’s story hit home because he was involved so deeply.
“I hadn’t seen anything that brutal,” he said, but added that with the advent of 24-hour news coverage, he has seen more since then.
“Merola was just cold and mean, and if he gets out, he’ll just kill again,” Porter added. “He needs to stay in jail for the rest of his life.”
Maj. Terry Storey, an Independence police detective, said officers in the department have signed the petition against Merola’s release several times in the past. He signed his name recently to the petition, which will be sent to the board at the Eastern Reception, Diagnostic and Correctional Center outside St. Louis, where Merola is serving his sentence.
Several officers plan to speak at the parole hearing in late December.
Storey said the magnitude of Merola’s crime hangs heavy at the department, where other officers throughout the years have lost their lives while on duty.
“It could be any one of us at any time,” Storey said. “You never know.”

Read more: Independence police again oppose Merola parole - News - Examiner - Independence, MO

Old 10-06-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Lieutenant David Kraxner October 31, 1966

Any connection with this name to the mystery you've given us?
You are correct, the killer was captured near the current stadium complex.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Well,......what'd I win!!!?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Well,......what'd I win!!!?
Congratulations! You have won the admiration of fellow posters along with the non-exclusive right to come up with our next bit of trivia.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Congratulations! You have won the admiration of fellow posters along with the non-exclusive right to come up with our next bit of trivia.

Indeed. Ground Control to Major Tom: Great work. Must be an age thing since I should remember this . . . big news back then no doubt, lots of local coverage and it happened near my house.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-06-2014 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:

More:

Dave I am sorry I didn't "Ride Over" with you as we had originally. If I would, I'm sure you would would be alive today. I relive this guilt almost every day.You did so much for me recommending me for "Officer of the Month" by the KIWANIS.
I will NEVER forget you or the times we had together on "Ride Overs" I'm so very,very,very sorry Lieutennt.
Kevin A. Hemp
Former I.P.D. patrolman
September 22, 2014

[LEFT]
Read more: Lieutenant David Joe Kraxner, Independence Police Department, Missouri

[/LEFT]

I remember what a kind gracious man Dave was. My husband Don was his Sgt. as well as a friend. Don would of been with him that fateful nite but David insisted that he stay home one more night to help me with our 5 day old daughter. David and his family will always be held close in the hearts of the Independence Police Dept. family.

Jan Huntsinger/Honorary IPD Officer
friend
November 2, 2011

[LEFT]
Read more: Reflections for Lieutenant David Joe Kraxner, Independence Police Department, Missouri
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City